The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

So...I went over to check out the CBER feedlot page and what do I find? 14 Percheron draft mares (mostly black) and 4 Belgian mares on the lot looking for saviors. The lot is full, a shipment is imminent and these beautiful horses need help!

Draft Mares, check 'em out!

I'm no expert, but the prices seem really low for the size of the horses.

UPDATED TO ADD: More horses are now on the feedlot page...seems like the flood gates are opening!
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

So...I went over to check out the CBER feedlot page and what do I find? 14 Percheron draft mares (mostly black) and 4 Belgian mares on the lot looking for saviors. The lot is full, a shipment is imminent and these beautiful horses need help!

Draft Mares, check 'em out!

I'm no expert, but the prices seem really low for the size of the horses.

UPDATED TO ADD: More horses are now on the feedlot page...seems like the flood gates are opening!
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

What a sweet looking bunch of mares. I hope they get snatched up by loving homes http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

Oh, Safehorses...didn't you read the other thread about the shipment of Drafts...they don't send Drafts to slaughter. At least that is what all of the "pro-slaughter" people were trying to make us believe.

I really hope these guys find homes. They're beautiful.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

LOL! Oh, that's right (hits head) what was I thinking?! Someone better break the bitter news to the feedlot owner!

Actually, there are lots more horses heading to the feedlot now...this is going to be a tough time for those of us trying to save them. The added bonus if you find one you have to have is that you'll be saving their lives!
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

Oh my! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif I've always wanted one for hubby to ride. But unfortunately, we don't have any stalls left since Abe came. And especially not enough room for a foal too! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

I so hope they all find great homes. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

I don't know what the pro-slaughter folks are talking about. Japan, one of the biggest importer of foreign horsemeat, buys almost exclusively Draft meat. The meat has more fat and is more marbled, which they like, per my understanding. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/dead.gif

That's exactly right Schwung...I hear in Canada they are raised expressly for slaughter and are shipped live to Japan to be slaughtered there.
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

The practice of shipping live horses to Japan has stopped due to cost of shipping. And they used to slaughter them on board and dump the remains over board to the sharks something thats no longer allowed.

There is a market in Japan for drafts Europe doesn't care for them much they prefer the 1000 lb young horse more. Drafts have a low dressing percentage so profit is lower. Plus they sell for about 1/2 live price as smaller ones due to the amount of bone.

The drafts at this resue look like good stock not sure what prices are like in that area here there very very low. Last week I was at a sale that had a pair of full brothers, Belgians, 7 and 8 years old. Broke to harness been used to plow, rake hay, pull sleigh etc. The pair with the harness and a Bob Sled brought $2800. At $1000 each for these untrained mares here your looking at about .15 to .20 a lb.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

We are going to have an Adopt-A-Thon this Sunday and Next Sunday, people need to put in their applications and be pre-approved by CBER and then they can pick out their Draftie BY APPOINTMENT ONLY so volunteers can be there to help you.

So if you are thinking of adopting one of these kids get your application in NOW....processing can take a couple days so you can go to the Adopt-A-Thon!

Please email your completed application to: Ashley4CBER@comcast.net

You can download the application on the CBER website.

Thank you,
    Ashley
    CBER Volunteer

It is frustrating from here in Wisconsin that I have to be there in person to pick up one of those mares to bring back home. I'd just focus on local rescue organizations in Wisconsin like Standardbred rescue place and the other one up north of here. Please do let us know if all of those mares are adopted by then. I pray for them.
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

CBER does handle out of state adoptions, transportation arrangements just need to be paid for and set up by the adopter. You can contact the volunteer listed near the horses photo for more info. and then send in an adoption application & pics of the place you plan to keep the horse for approval.

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Prieta:
    It is frustrating from here in Wisconsin that I have to be there in person to pick up one of those mares to bring back home. I'd just focus on local rescue organizations in Wisconsin like Standardbred rescue place and the other one up north of here. Please do let us know if all of those mares are adopted by then. I pray for them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't think it was a requirement to be there in person. I remember someone in another thread that made arrangements for a horse to be shipped to her. Does anyone else know for sure if you must be present to get a horse?
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

You don't have to be there to get a horse unless procedures have changed dramatically. Some people board them or have a foster home for them until they can arrange shipment. In the past, CBER people have made sure the horse has gotten off the lot and into safe care until it left for its permanent home. I imagine that's still being done. The contact person for the horse can give you the details.

Are you going to get one? Or several?

I called a hauler just to get an idea on the cost of shipment and got the quote. It is going to cost me 1200 per mare. So, it will be a total of 2200 per mare untrained. How do I justify the expense when I know of several drafts on sale around here for less than that? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif My husband will wonder where my head goes!
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Prieta, you might want to check out the SAFE/CBER BB...there is a subforum there dedicated to shipping and some of the adopters have found very good deals with great haulers.

The BB can be found at:
    SAFE/CBER BB

Look under Horse Transport.
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

I do not have the money to even bring one home and it kills me to see them.

Weston reminds me of my gelding and Shorty is a great looking little QH I bet he would be a blast to ride. And you just can't help but feel bad for Turk; I hate to see old horses tossed away like that.

I am going to send this link around and see if anyone is interested.

I was wondering why their prices are so high; they appear to be way over the meat price compared to the prices at Holland from the other thread.

UPDATE: 3 of the drafts have sold, but there are plenty more left. If you are interested, keep checking the CBER feedlot page to see the new horses who get posted as soon as CBER can assess them and get them up on the site. With so many new horses, a shipment is imminent.
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

Can't you guys put together a network of people to haul horses cross country? I and others do that alot with horses going from here in Mn. down to Tx. and Ok. for sales and shows.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

I agree transportation is a big problem. If that same horse was in my area for $675 he may sell but when you have to tack another $1000 on there and purchase unseen it is a tuff sell. I try to pass this link off to people and when they see where the horses are they just shrug, the transportation is more than the horse.

In Mississippi we have no rescues or feed lot sales and the one horse sales we had was shut down due to low prices.

I remember watching a show on the Greyhound rescues; volunteers were transporting the dogs all over the states to get them placed. One volunteer would bring them a certain distance and then another would meet them and pick up the dog and bring him the rest of the way.

Like I said I can’t afford another horse right now just brain storming because I hate seeing these horses in these feed lots. I know of one person in WY that might be able to spread the word; I will pass the link to them.