The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    I do. And I've been tested, and it was negative.

As far as I understand it, a doctor needs to have done some pretty extensive "ruling out" before diagnosing FM. I underwent many tests over several years, including various blood tests that were repeated mutliple times.
    But which test? They tend to be very unreliable (especially the ELISA, which is the first line test). I never tested positive on the ELISA, but finally did on the Western Blot after a round of antibiotics, which seemed to rev up my immune system.

Again, just curious. Not preaching.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Well, not only that, but when you are sitting around the house all day... or the office, it's awfully easy to think about those little aches and pains and funny feelings. When you are out traveling around and living well, you can stop thinking about a lot of them, and the ones that persist are easier to ignore.

As a person who has suffered from gout, I know first hand that if you sit about and do nothing but eat and drink merrily, you are going to be in a world of hurt. Now if I start to feel even a memory of that, I change my diet and routine immediately.
    I'm pretty new to FM, having just been diagnosed this year, but in that time I've met a few women who are disabled due to it. One woman is the wife of a guy my husband works with. She calls her husband 10x a day with complaints and problems that she needs him to fix. She won't drive, she won't hardly leave her house. He literally takes care of her. She quit her job because she was too tired to work. She won't shovel snow or rake leaves because she's too sore, it's too cold, it's too hot. She is not on any FM approved medication because she doesn't want to put chemicals in her body. She takes some kind of herbs apparently, and goes to FM support group meetings.

Now, I realize that FM can get really nasty and that some people are much more affected than others, but it seems that some people really milk it for all they can.

I've begun noticing the ami not working quite as well as it did a few months ago. The doctor said I may have to make a switch to pregabalin in another month or two. But I still feel much much better than when I was taking nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    But which test? They tend to be very unreliable (especially the ELISA, which is the first line test). I never tested positive on the ELISA, but finally did on the Western Blot after a round of antibiotics, which seemed to rev up my immune system.

Again, just curious. Not preaching.
    I don't know but I was tested for Lyme probably 3 or 4 times by different doctors.

And besides, I was told that there would be some type of inflammatory marker in other blood tests, if I did in fact have Lyme. And all of the inflammatory markers were normal, every time they were tested. And over the course of several years I was tested at least a half dozen times, maybe more.

Lyme is one thing I was particularly concerned about since I have had many ticks attached to me at one time or another over my lifespan, including a couple of deer ticks.

I had even done experiments with getting off of all simple sugars and caffeine. I had tried avoiding foods in the nightshade family. I had a really awful reaction to eating avacado so I've avoided that since. I've tried massage and chiropractic. I went to physical therapy. I've been referred to a pain clinic. I even did the baking soda and epsom salt soaks which supposedly pulls toxins out of your skin. LOL yeah right. That did nothing obviously. I can't even remember everything I tried.

One woman is the wife of a guy my husband works with. She calls her husband 10x a day with complaints and problems that she needs him to fix. She won't drive, she won't hardly leave her house. He literally takes care of her. She quit her job because she was too tired to work. She won't shovel snow or rake leaves because she's too sore, it's too cold, it's too hot. She is not on any FM approved medication because she doesn't want to put chemicals in her body. She takes some kind of herbs apparently, and goes to FM support group meetings.
    This is where the overlap of FM and mental illness becomes pretty obvious. Not all people with FM have mental illness, and not all people with mental illness have FM. But there are a whole bunch where the line becomes extremely blurry. Chicken? Egg? Nobody knows.
    Click here before you buy.

It is interesting. I have been recently (like last 2 months) been diagnosed with FM, after several years of being diagnosed with depression. It is complicated, as I have major family history of mental illness--brother with bipolar, father with depression, grandparents and great grandparents who weren't diagnosed due to the realities of the time but likely had depression or bipolar disorder, and a family history of alcoholism to boot, although that largely appears to be an attempt at self-medication as it has shown up largely in those who displayed "odd'" behavior prior to heavy drinking.

At the same time, I was never diagnosed until after a riding accident caused a relatively major head and spinal injury, after which I was diagnosed with depression and PTSD. Got over the PTSD, started training again, but still suffered persistent pain and fatigue. It was attributed to depression for some time until the mental symptoms of depression were under control, and I got a new doc who tested me and I was severely painful on 18 of the tell-tale points. We're still working out my treatment but so far it has been helping, slowly, but it is. Now I can not only take care of the horses I need to, but have some life outside of it.

I personally think FM is not a useful diagnosis in horses at this point. The reality of veterinary medicine is that it is not so well funded as human medicine, and if we can't reliably diagnose FM in humans, it's largely pointless to speculate about in horses. At this point it is best to treat the symptoms as they come.

I have definitely known horses who are more reactive to pain, who seem to fatigue easily, who seem to never get over sensitivities in certain areas or to certain things. I guess I could speculate about whether or not it is FM, but it just doesn't seem relevant to me. I'll handle the horses as they come, as I wait for more scientific information on my own condition and maybe eventually on its appearance in equines or other animals.