The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Treating a horse for ulcers. Oy! Is it really that expensive?

Man, I am at a loss and a bit confused with all of the products out there. I'm in Canada, so just found out I cannot get Ulcergard and would be stuck with the more expensive Gastrogard. Our pony only weighs 440 lbs., so would only need a 1/3 of a tube for each dose. But at $68 a tube from my vet, oy!

Is this a pretty standard price across the board for Gastrogard?

The vet secretary mentioned U-Gard at $110 a pail...but everything I've read says U-Gard is unproven to correct ulcers. She did mention that several local show barns swear by it!

Compounded Omeprazole was also mentioned, and I understand it has to be enteric-coated to work. She said there's is just in a pink liquid form and is $170 for 500 mL. My friend apprarently used this pink liquid omeprazole and said it did wonders for her horse after 2 months of use.

I'm so stressed and confused now on which avenue to go!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh, ISR/Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap LOM
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Unfortunately, yes. It is that expensive. There is something like Pepto for horses but I cannot think of it's name. It is pink like Pepto, tastes like Pepto only sold in gallon jugs but I can not remember the name of it. It's not as good as Gastogard but much cheaper and waaaaaaaaaay messier.

Magic Words: Parcel Forwarding Service

I buy my mare's supplements from SmartPak and have it shipped to a parcel place just over the border. I'm lucky in that I can literally see the US from my windows . In your case you could use a service that will receive and mail the package from the US for you.

I used UGard pellets for a year, and they made a world of difference. However, we weren't in full out ulcer mode; we tried it to see if it made a difference. At least one of the big barns here has started using it as well. You may be able to get the less expensive UlcerGard that way too; you won't be able to get GastroGard without a script from a US vet
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Magic Words: Parcel Forwarding Service

You may be able to get the less expensive UlcerGard that way too; you won't be able to get GastroGard without a script from a US vet
    I'm assuming if Merial does not sell Ulcergard in Canada (only Gastrogard)...it is not regulated to be sold in Canada. So, does that mean if I purchased Ulcergard from Smartpak and had it sent to a friend in the U.S. and then she mailed it to me...would Canadian customs stop it at the border?
    Home of Welsh, ISR/Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap LOM

Quote Originally Posted by LisaW-B View Post
    This will not work. Just spoke with Merial on the phone. Ulcergard is NOT approved in Canada, only Gastrogard. So, if I go and purchase Ulcergard from the States and have it shipped up here, Canada customs will refuse entry for it...if they check the parcel.

Will your vet write you a prescription for it so you can order it from a less expensive pharmacy? You may be able to order Gastrogard for a lot less online. I've seen it as low as $32.50 online.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    Will your vet write you a prescription for it so you can order it from a less expensive pharmacy? You may be able to order Gastrogard for a lot less online. I've seen it as low as $32.50 online.
    I know my vet won't write a script for it but I did manage to find it through another vet for $44.97 CAD.

That's very interesting. There's another thread where someone found "UlcerGard" supposedly from a company in Canada. Guess that can't be true. Wonder what's up with the "UlcerGard".

I would see if you can get the Ulcergard shipped from SmartPak in the US, as Ibex suggested.

I tried TONS of ulcer "treatments" until I finally gave in and just spent the money for the full treatment of Ulcergard my vet originally recommended. It started working immediately and gave my horse total relief. U-Gard was great for keeping the ulcers away after treatment, but did not work to get rid of existing ulcers.

Yep, it's that expensive. I probably have sunk $2,000+ into Gastrogard and Ulcergard in the last 2 years.

You might contact Henry Cheng at this compounding pharmacy (there's likely one near you but you need a "Henry" as well )
    http://www.cloverdalewellness.com/we...al_Health.html

I'm assuming this is for a pony that doesn't have obvious ulcers so I'd be willing to try some less $$$$ treatments first.
    (did your vet actually diagnose ulcers?)

http://www.horseprerace.com/canadian...aste-p-83.html

This is called "Canadian Omeprazole" and I compared the drug information, dosing, field studies, everything I could get my hands on, and by all appearances this is the same exact thing, and got the same exact results as GastroGard, only these are about $13/syringe, whereas GastroGard is around $30-something/syringe.

I'm going to treat my horse for ulcers in the next month (OTTB) with SmartPak SmartGut and if I see any changes I believe this Canadian Omeprazole is what I will use to actually treat the ulcers.

Hope that helped! Good luck to you and your pony!

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    This will not work. Just spoke with Merial on the phone. Ulcergard is NOT approved in Canada, only Gastrogard. So, if I go and purchase Ulcergard from the States and have it shipped up here, Canada customs will refuse entry for it...if they check the parcel.
    This is insane! They're the same thing and why would the Canadian Gov. care what you are treating your horse's ulcers with?
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by ake987 View Post
    http://www.horseprerace.com/canadian...aste-p-83.html

This is called "Canadian Omeprazole" and I compared the drug information, dosing, field studies, everything I could get my hands on, and by all appearances this is the same exact thing, and got the same exact results as GastroGard, only these are about $13/syringe, whereas GastroGard is around $30-something/syringe.

I'm going to treat my horse for ulcers in the next month (OTTB) with SmartPak SmartGut and if I see any changes I believe this Canadian Omeprazole is what I will use to actually treat the ulcers.

Hope that helped! Good luck to you and your pony!
    Plus, according to the link, you can also use this stuff on your "Race Horses, Greyhounds, Dogs, and Camels." Sorry couldn't resist.

Canadian Omeprazole can be used in Race Horses, Greyhounds, Dogs, & Camels

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    Plus, according to the link, you can also use this stuff on your "Race Horses, Greyhounds, Dogs, and Camels." Sorry couldn't resist.
    Phaxxton.. Greyhounds AND dogs. Weird!!!

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Oh, duh. I did not realize the Canadian ulcergard issue. That's why I guess it is generic?
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

I used compounded Omeprazole. It seemed to work excellently for my horse. Unfortunately I took him off of it after only two weeks.

Now reading everyone's posts though, I wish that I had of completed a months treatment right of the bat, as I think he is starting to show symptoms again (now 3 months later). I believe that I ended treatment too soon (although that is what my vet advised). I think they might be starting to flair up again.

I still do a 1/2 dose for trailering away and stressful situations. But am really kicking myself for not doing more research and treating him for at least a full month initially.

Ulcers are such a pain.. and so expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    This is insane! They're the same thing and why would the Canadian Gov. care what you are treating your horse's ulcers with?
    The Canadian Food Inspection Agency, similar to your FDA in the United States, is much more strict in regards to what they allow to come into Canada. Plain and simple. Gastrogard and Ulcergard may be identical products but obviously Gastrogard must have more testing, etc. behind it...which is why it's able to make it past the border. I can name a ton of different products that are not allowed up here that you guys use on a regular basis....until we see some personal injury lawyer advertising, "Did your arm fall off after taking x drug? Call us now."

As I understand it Ulcerguard and GG are the same thing, packaged for maintenance dose or healing dose.

The GG has a patented slow-release coating and the compounded does not.
    Someday, the patent must run out I hope.

I share your angst. Been there and decided to go for the GG treatment rather than mess around hoping that cheaper alternatives would do the job and then find out that they didn't and I was back to using the GG anyway.

Think of it this way - it is a pony and needs an appropriately smaller dose??