The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How Much Acreage for a Cross-Country Course

How much acreage do you need to build a cross-country course? I have seen everything from 5 acres to 20. Would be for mostly Tadpole at upper level, maybe BN. Guess it's better to start at the top than at the bottom, but pasture is at a premium!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

If you're just tadpoling, 5 acres would be plenty. Make a water complex and arrange it around your riding arena.

There's no reason you can't put jumps in your pastures, too. It makes it harder to mow, but you can do portables or you can just deal with the mowing. Indeed, you'd want animals out there to keep the weeds down. Just move the pasture horses out when you want to jump.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Location, location, location. 5 acres if hillside can support less population of jumps than 5 acres of flat land.

You also didn't indicate if this was for schooling or competition (rec. or unrec.), which makes a huge difference in scope & scale (area for rings, parking, stabling) plus there's the consideration of number of simultaneous users in any case which also involves parking, etc.
    Last edited by groom; Sep. 20, 2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: my mom complained

I have GAG through Training on 40 acres. I need to post an arial view on FB or my website so the layout is visiable and haven't--but the place is laid out in square with the front middle (think of a U) holding the barn complexes. It all has to be just so to get everyone in and parked, but it works.