The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stirrup leathers

Are value-priced stirrup leathers a bad deal?

This looks like a pretty good deal on Tack of the Day:
    http://www.tackoftheday.com/default.aspx

Took a quick look at stirrups online, and there are only a few value-type brands cheaper than this. I'm assuming the cheaper ones probably wouldn't be very good quality, right? If there are any great cheap stirrup leathers, please fill me in before I buy these from TOTD.

I don't have a horse and thus don't buy much tack etc., so forgive me for making a big deal out of stirrup leathers.

I'm really not one to ask. I blanch at even the $48 price on TOTD. (my current leathers I bought from Horseloverz for about half that. Plus the pair I bought off consignment from the local tack shop that were only like $10. And so on. )
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    I'm really not one to ask. I blanch at even the $48 price on TOTD. (my current leathers I bought from Horseloverz for about half that. Plus the pair I bought off consignment from the local tack shop that were only like $10. And so on. )
    Yeah, I do too. That's why I was looking around for cheaper ones. I was SHOCKED when I first got online to look for stirrup leathers when I noticed mine fraying. $100 for two strips of leather?? So please fill me in on better ideas.

courbette leathers are quite well regarded, and totd has a good price on them. i like my covered leathers from smartpak for $39,

well, I just reference checked online and it appears that $48 is about a 30% savings.

You may be able to find some cheaper on Ebay, or example, I saw some nylon lined leather stirrups starting bid at $16. but you will have to ask some questions about the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by daisies View Post
    fraying. $100 for two strips of leather?? So please fill me in on better ideas.
    I'm pretty sure it's $48 for the pair, not $48 for each leather. (See? I really AM cheap. )
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Courbette leathers are hardly value-quality or whatever. I have some that are over 6 years old and look pretty much new. They have stretched *maybe* 1 or 2 holes in length over that time. I'm sure they will last another 6 years, if not longer.

I suspected my post wasn't very clear.

I'm pretty sure it's $48 for the pair, not $48 for each leather. (See? I really AM cheap. )
    I know. I was talking about regular prices being $100+ per pair for many brands.

Courbette leathers are hardly value-quality or whatever.\
    By this, I meant would it be a bad idea to go with value ones over these.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I just found out that we know someone who makes them -- will buy from him.

I think Courbette leathers at $48 are a good value. They were rated 'best' by Michael Plumb's mag a few years back when I bought a pair. My daughter has them now and they still look great.
    Y'all ain't right!