The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Results - GAIG/USDF-BC SE Series Championships

Just back from the SE DSHB Championships in GA.

Foal Championship
    Champion: Florentina HF
    2010 KWPN filly by UB40 out of Renina (Flemmingh)
    Breeder/owner Julie Ballard Haralson

Reserve: Diamond Court MF
    2010 Hanoverian colt by Don Principe out of Royal Gem (Royal Diamond)
    Breeder/owner Maryanna Haymon

Colt/Gelding Championship
    Champion: Wunderboy MLW
    2009 Hanoverian colt by Wamberto out of Wintermaske (Weltbekannt)
    Breeder/owner Mary Lou Winn

Reserve: Fortissimo B
    2008 Hanoverian colt by Fabuleux out of Roma I (Rubinstein I)
    Breeder: Bridlewood Farm. Owner: Camilla van Liew

Filly Championship

Champion: Fifi MLW
    2009 Hanoverian filly by Fidertanz out of Wolkenstanza MLW (Wolkentanz I)
    Breeder/owner: Mary Lou Winn

Reserve: Dawn MF
    2009 Hanoverian filly by Don Principe out of La Dolce Vita (Londonderry)
    Breeder/owner: Maryanna Haymon

Mare Championship

Champion: Sassafras
    2006 Hanoverian mare by Scimitar out of Walentina (Weltmeyer)
    Breeder/owner Betsy Cawley

Reserve: Soliloquy MLW
    2006 Hanoverian mare by Stedinger out of Wintermaske (Weltbekannt)
    Breeder: Mary Lou Winn. Owner: Andrea Hayden

There was lots of very good quality at this show. The Hanoverian presence was HUGE!!

Thanks for posting that Chris. I am so very proud of my horses and even more proud of Andrea Hayden who showed them all so well. There was some fierce competition from many wonderful breeders. Congrats to all!
    Last edited by Home Again Farm; Sep. 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Mary Lou, your horses ROCKED! I love Fifi in particular, and she really cleaned up yesterday (Filly Champion, Y/H Champion, Reserve Grand Champion). She unfortunately didn't have the best go this morning, but she certainly redeemed herself in the Finals this afternoon! And yes, Andrea did an awesome job!

Marydell Farms (Maryanna Haymon) had a bunch of really nice horses there, as did Annetta Coleman of High Valley Hanoverians.

We were unfortunately missing three incredibly nice area youngsters, though. Julie Ballard Haralson's 2008 KWPN filly by Jazz / Metall stayed home this weekend (she had a long KWPN keuring earlier in the week), as did Sherry Smith's super 2010 Oldenburg-GOV colt by Rousseau / Sandro Hit, and her equally nice 2008 Oldenburg-GOV colt by Quaterback / Sandro Hit. Not to take anything away from the top horses at the show, but any of these three would have turned up the heat on the winners a bit!

Congratulations Mary-Lou, Maryanna, Betsy, Julia and Bridlewood. Why am I not surprised by the names on this list?! Great breeding programs, and consistently high results.

Congrats to everyone at the show this weekend! It was a great show all the way around for everyone and the quality of the horses presented has gone way up over the last few years.

Thanks also to everyone running the show - really really great job!!!!
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    Congrats to everyone at the show this weekend! It was a great show all the way around for everyone and the quality of the horses presented has gone way up over the last few years.

Thanks also to everyone running the show - really really great job!!!!
    Annissa, your Emerald Fire filly is really lovely!

Annetta Coleman deserves a huge pat on the back for saving this show when the organizer was talking about canceling it a few months back. Annetta convinced her she just could NOT cancel a series final and also convinced her to hire a show manager/secretary instead of trying to run the show herself while also running a dressage show at the same time. And Annetta did a yeoman's job in organizing an army of volunteers, setting up office space in the breed show barn so folks didn't have to trek all the way to the dressage show office to do official paperwork, and also setting up a very nice awards table. This was by far the best run, best organized DSHB show we have ever had here in GA.

Thanks Chris - I am so proud and happy with my girl, she really came to play this weekend. The compeitition over all was really really fantastic.

And I agree - this show was one of the best, if not the best, that I have been to. Very well run, organized, and hospitable. Heck, we were even EARLY most of the time this weekend! Great show.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Thumbs up

Thanks also Chris for posting this and saying such nice things about my horses.
    I belong to the Fifi fan club also! Congratulations Mary Lou.
    Annetta did do a wonderful job. The ring set up and organization was so efficient. Honestly it was one of the best run breed shows I have ever been to. Plus we had fun!
    As always, Ann Genovese and the Good Horseman Foundation support the breeders in a major way. Without Ann and her efforts many of us would have never gone to our first breed show.
    PS Than you Jessica Barnes and Demitasse HF, the "comeback queens" for winning the 3 y/o materiale classes both days and to Saskia Wurche, Dean Graham and Anke Boersma who risk life and limb to trot our sometimes unpredictable little sweethearts!

I am finally gettting back up to speed and catching up with the posts.
    Congratulations to everyone at the shwo. What such high quality! I agree the show was one of the safest and most smoothly run that I have been to. Both judges, Jos Sevriens and Janet Foy were quick, fun and enjoyable in their public commentary. As hot as it was, the quick was greatly appreciated.

I am a huge fan of Mary Lou's horses and of Andrea and their wonderful support team. Fifi is amazing. Lily is really getting better each time out. Her walk yesterday morning was really good. It really gives me a chill to watch the rapport that Andrea has with both those girls.

Annissa your girl rocked Saturday! She was just awesome.
    Sassafrass was a lovely mare who knew where to look and how to get the job done.

Both Dawn MF and Fortissimo B (Camilla Van Liew) woke up and showed well on Sunday.

The handlers all did a super job, Andrea, Anke, Brendan and Dean. Thanks so much for all of your efforts. Saskia, thanks for the great braiding job on my guys.
    Most of all--Thank you to Ann Genovese for supporting the breeders!
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by mares.com View Post
    Thanks also Chris for posting this and saying such nice things about my horses.
    I belong to the Fifi fan club also! Congratulations Mary Lou.
    Annetta did do a wonderful job. The ring set up and organization was so efficient. Honestly it was one of the best run breed shows I have ever been to. Plus we had fun!
    As always, Ann Genovese and the Good Horseman Foundation support the breeders in a major way. Without Ann and her efforts many of us would have never gone to our first breed show.
    PS Than you Jessica Barnes and Demitasse HF, the "comeback queens" for winning the 3 y/o materiale classes both days and to Saskia Wurche, Dean Graham and Anke Boersma who risk life and limb to trot our sometimes unpredictable little sweethearts!
    Julie, your horses are ALWAYS super! And tee-hee, you are right about the handlers – and the “unpredictable little sweethearts”!

I was also thinking how cool it would have been to have Judy Yancey’s fantastic horses there. I would loved to have seen that super Jazz mare and her 2010 stallion prospect colt by Florestan, the 2010 Fuerst Romancier / Donnerhall filly, the 2010 Bellissimo / Fuerst Heinrich filly, the 2010 Ampere / Dream of Glory colt, and the 3 y/o Quaterback / Sandro Hit filly. Folks that don’t go to Judy’s Oldenburg inspection or otherwise see her horses just don’t understand the depth of quality of her breeding program, but wow, some of her horses would have given everyone a run for their money at this show!

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    wow, some of her horses would have given everyone a run for their money at this show!
    I really admire Judy's program so my comment is not directed at her (and in fact she did breed Qredit, who won DAD last year) but it is a bit offensive to those who actually do show their horses to say things like this. And there is a big difference between looking great at home (or even at an inspection) and getting out and performing at their best at a show (particularly where youngsters are concerned). Many super horses don't show at their best at shows. The horses that are out and winning with scores of 75 or in the 80s - that is something. It is pretty easy to sit home and say someone would have done great had they actually attended and another thing entirely to go out and bring home the blue. I have some great youngsters in my barn, too, but it would never occur to me to suggest that had they shown up at this show that they would have given these guys a run for their money. That would be ridiculous.
    Last edited by YankeeLawyer; Sep. 20, 2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    I really admire Judy's program so my comment is not directed at her (and in fact she did breed Qredit, who won DAD last year) but it is a bit offensive to those who actually do show their horses to say things like this. And there is a big difference between looking great at home (or even at an inspection) and getting out and performing at their best at a show (particularly where youngsters are concerned). Many super horses don't show at their best at shows. The horses that are out and winning with scores of 75 or in the 90s - that is something. It is pretty easy to sit home and say someone would have done great had they actually attended and another thing entirely to go out and bring home the blue. I have some great youngsters in my barn, too, but it would never occur to me to suggest that had they shown up at this show that they would have given these guys a run for their money. That would be ridiculous.
    No need to get so bent out of shape. I was not trying to diminish the accomplishments of the folks at this show, but rather to comment IN GENERAL about the depth of quality in breeding programs in this area of the country.

I am sure the same scenario plays out in many other regions - super horses at home instead of out showing in the DSHB classes. It certainly doesn't mean the horses that DO show are any less in quality.

And yes, those folks that do make the effort are certainly to be commended for putting their horses out there. It is a HUGE expense and effort.

I happen to love the horses I have seen over the years bred by breeders such as Annetta Coleman, Julie Haralson, Sherry Smith, Maryanna Haymon, Anissa Cottongim, as well as many other breeders who show in this region. In fact, I always tell anyone helping me if they start getting a little too enthusiastic about our chances of winning that we can never know who will show up - that there are so many great horses being bred in this country these days that something incredible might show on the scene and blow us away. That is just reality.

Many kudos to those breeders and owners who showed their horses this season. It is an effort and an expense and without enough competitors shows won't happen, as we saw a few times this year. Additional kudos to all who did well. These are living, breathing creatures who can change the results of a class in an instant with a sudden tension or worry. There is so much that goes into a great run and at least one factor will always be luck.

I can't thank my friends and fellow breeders enough for all their kindnesses and support over the years. As someone else said, it does take a village. And there is nothing better than a village of fellow breeders who respect and support one another, always ready to say "good for you" and to commiserate when times are tough. What goes around comes around.
    Last edited by Home Again Farm; Sep. 20, 2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: forgot to mention someone - and no doubt I STILL forgot someone.

Original Poster

Well said, Mary Lou. It is so true that you never know what will happen at these shows. While watching from ringside this weekend, I heard various people near me exclaim at least three times - "there is your Grand Champion", or "there is your Mare Champion", etc. In each case, the horse in question was certainly a very, VERY good specimen, but the judge happened to like another one even better - on that day, on that trip around the ring.

And yes, you and Maryanna and Julie and Annissa and Annetta and others who show in this region have certainly been instrumental in raising the bar for others. As I said, the depth of quality of breeding programs in the SE is getting to be quite impressive!