The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can you use Leder-Combi on your boots?

Well, I'm sure you CAN, but would you?

The boots in question are my Grand Prix Elite show boots, which so far I've just wiped off with a damp cloth. But at some point, Im thinking they're going to need more than just water...

TIA!

Unless it says you can on the bottle, I wouldn't. IIRC, that stuff is formulated for saddle and bridle leather, not boot leather. It's probably not appropriate for it, possibly could be too harsh to use.

if you want your boots, floppy, flexible and buttery, go for it. I HATE that, made the mistake of using leder combi on them, they got all soft and I had to buy new boots. (if it were up to me the whole inside would be made of bone, lol) It will take the "shine" off them as well.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by lintesia View Post
    Well, I'm sure you CAN, but would you?

The boots in question are my Grand Prix Elite show boots, which so far I've just wiped off with a damp cloth. But at some point, Im thinking they're going to need more than just water...

TIA!
    I would stick to wiping them off with water and using shoe polish to keep them nice and shiny.

I'd hesitate to use something made for bridles/saddles on boot leather, since they're made from a different part of the hide.

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    I'd hesitate to use something made for bridles/saddles on boot leather, since they're made from a different part of the hide.
    Absolutely right. Different parts of the hide require different products. Tack cleaning products are not suitable for boots. Wipe with a damp sponge or cloth to remove dirt/mud and then use a good boot cream or polish. Use an old pair of panty hose for a final buffing.

I too have the Grand Prix Elites, and I prefer to use the Bick 1 Leather Cleaner from Bickmore on them. It is not greasy, similar to LederCombi, but it is gentler than LederCombi. I also really like the Bick 4 Leather Conditioner. It is very light and works really well with the finer boot leather. I got these products happenstance once when I was out of town and have really liked them.

The conditioner has a bit of wax in it to help protect (I could only tell this when it spilled and melted then cooled in a bag after being left in my car too long), but it doesn't make things squeaky or sticky.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

I've had my Grand Prixs for about 6 years and all I do is wipe them off with a damp cloth and polish lightly as needed and buff with pantyhose. They are still holding up fine.

Default Thanks everyone!

Thank you everyone! I was especially curious because so many people raved about Leder-Combi for their tack. I just bought a bottle and on the bottle it includes boots on the list of suitable items. But I wasn't convinced and now I know for sure! I'll clean my boots with basic water and use shoe polish as necessary (which is what I've always done...)

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    I too have the Grand Prix Elites, and I prefer to use the Bick 1 Leather Cleaner from Bickmore on them. It is not greasy, similar to LederCombi, but it is gentler than LederCombi. I also really like the Bick 4 Leather Conditioner. It is very light and works really well with the finer boot leather. I got these products happenstance once when I was out of town and have really liked them.

The conditioner has a bit of wax in it to help protect (I could only tell this when it spilled and melted then cooled in a bag after being left in my car too long), but it doesn't make things squeaky or sticky.
    I've also switched to the Bickmore line for my boots since Vogel creme is no longer made.
    Nobody puts baby in a corner

I also used Vogel boot cream in the past. I have been using Dubarry boot cleaner and conditioner occasionally, daily cleaning with damp cloth.