The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 19, 2009
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    646

    Default Can you use Leder-Combi on your boots?

    Well, I'm sure you CAN, but would you?

    The boots in question are my Grand Prix Elite show boots, which so far I've just wiped off with a damp cloth. But at some point, Im thinking they're going to need more than just water...

    TIA!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2010
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    Unless it says you can on the bottle, I wouldn't. IIRC, that stuff is formulated for saddle and bridle leather, not boot leather. It's probably not appropriate for it, possibly could be too harsh to use.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2007
    Location
    Triangle Area, NC
    Posts
    6,742

    Default

    if you want your boots, floppy, flexible and buttery, go for it. I HATE that, made the mistake of using leder combi on them, they got all soft and I had to buy new boots. (if it were up to me the whole inside would be made of bone, lol) It will take the "shine" off them as well.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar. 13, 2009
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lintesia View Post
    Well, I'm sure you CAN, but would you?

    The boots in question are my Grand Prix Elite show boots, which so far I've just wiped off with a damp cloth. But at some point, Im thinking they're going to need more than just water...

    TIA!
    I would stick to wiping them off with water and using shoe polish to keep them nice and shiny.

    I'd hesitate to use something made for bridles/saddles on boot leather, since they're made from a different part of the hide.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2004
    Posts
    11,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    I'd hesitate to use something made for bridles/saddles on boot leather, since they're made from a different part of the hide.
    Absolutely right. Different parts of the hide require different products. Tack cleaning products are not suitable for boots. Wipe with a damp sponge or cloth to remove dirt/mud and then use a good boot cream or polish. Use an old pair of panty hose for a final buffing.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2008
    Location
    At the office
    Posts
    813

    Default

    I too have the Grand Prix Elites, and I prefer to use the Bick 1 Leather Cleaner from Bickmore on them. It is not greasy, similar to LederCombi, but it is gentler than LederCombi. I also really like the Bick 4 Leather Conditioner. It is very light and works really well with the finer boot leather. I got these products happenstance once when I was out of town and have really liked them.

    The conditioner has a bit of wax in it to help protect (I could only tell this when it spilled and melted then cooled in a bag after being left in my car too long), but it doesn't make things squeaky or sticky.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2010
    Posts
    213

    Default

    I've had my Grand Prixs for about 6 years and all I do is wipe them off with a damp cloth and polish lightly as needed and buff with pantyhose. They are still holding up fine.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 19, 2009
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    646

    Default Thanks everyone!

    Thank you everyone! I was especially curious because so many people raved about Leder-Combi for their tack. I just bought a bottle and on the bottle it includes boots on the list of suitable items. But I wasn't convinced and now I know for sure! I'll clean my boots with basic water and use shoe polish as necessary (which is what I've always done...)

    Thanks!!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2004
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    I too have the Grand Prix Elites, and I prefer to use the Bick 1 Leather Cleaner from Bickmore on them. It is not greasy, similar to LederCombi, but it is gentler than LederCombi. I also really like the Bick 4 Leather Conditioner. It is very light and works really well with the finer boot leather. I got these products happenstance once when I was out of town and have really liked them.

    The conditioner has a bit of wax in it to help protect (I could only tell this when it spilled and melted then cooled in a bag after being left in my car too long), but it doesn't make things squeaky or sticky.
    I've also switched to the Bickmore line for my boots since Vogel creme is no longer made.
    Nobody puts baby in a corner



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 23, 2010
    Posts
    594

    Default

    I also used Vogel boot cream in the past. I have been using Dubarry boot cleaner and conditioner occasionally, daily cleaning with damp cloth.



Similar Threads

  1. Field Boots vs. Dress Boots vs. Dressage Boots
    By tazzismyman in forum Eventing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: May. 6, 2012, 01:07 PM
  2. Combi Pads
    By TuxWink in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 6, 2010, 06:10 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jan. 30, 2009, 02:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •