The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PSA re Cosequin ASU vs. Cosequin costs

I can't find the recent thread regarding Cosequin ASU. Anyway, I said on that thread that I thought it wasn't as cost-effective because the scoop was bigger, and another poster asked me to confirm. Tonight I measured by using my pure Cosequin scoop to dump into my Cosequin ASU scoop.

I was shocked to find that the Cosequin ASU scoop is in fact FOUR TIMES as large as the Cosequin scoop. So even on big horses, the Cosequin ASU is probably significantly more expensive per dose, because the scoop is FOUR TIMES as large as the original.

Hope that helps someone with their cost-benefit analyses for supps!

Absolutely.

This is why you have to cost things on a per-dose basis, not the size of the container.

1 members found this post helpful.

ASU is more expensive than treating with Adequan. i remember when ASU came out (and i was working in vet pharm distribution) and I laughed at the cosequin people when the told me the price. i'm supirsed there are people even buying it.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I see what you're trying to say... but to me, it's not such an issue that the scoop for the ASU version is bigger, because only 1scp of that version contains 7200 mg glucosamine, whereas the original Cosequin only contains 1800 mg per scoop (a puny amount to me). If you add up four scoops of the original version... ta da, 7200mg. Apparently the maintenance dose for a 1200lb horse is 3scps/day of the original, so that seems pretty darn close to me. I personally don't give less than 10,000mg of glucosamine per day (but then again, my horse is BIG), so that would require me to give 5.5 scps of the original. Let’s round that up to 6 scps. The resulting price of the original version (at retail) would cost me $72/mo. I pay $90/mo for my horse to get *two* scoops of Cosequin ASU daily (which yields 14,400mg of glucosamine, plus the extra cost of the ASU and MSM). $18 more per month isn't that bad to me for 2100mg of ASU.

So yes, I agree, people need to analyze the amounts per scoop, but once it's all added up to the ingredient amounts per day that the person wants to feed, and after extra ingredient costs (ASU, etc) are factored in, they're really not too far off in price. Especially since the type of glucosamine and chondroitin used in both versions are identical. I saw someone erroneously mention in the other thread that the original Cosequin contains a more potent version of glucosamine and chondroitin than the ASU version, but that's not true.

Ok, whoops, I went back and looked up the other thread (here), and realized that it was YOU, fordtraktor, who implied that the Cosequin ASU was more diluted.

The types of glucosamine and chondroitin used in both versions are absolutely identical. I poked around a bit and it seems that on the product pages for both versions at various retailer websites, the original version often lists the fancy-schmancy special patented ingredient names, whereas the ASU version usually just says "glucosamine HCL," yada yada, which may have mistakenly given such an impression. However, from the Nutramax website:

What is Cosequin® ASU?
    Cosequin ASU from Nutramax Laboratories, Inc. is a superior joint health supplement in a tasty powder for horses that goes beyond standard joint supplements. It contains NMX1000®* avocado/soybean unsaponifiables (ASU), MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), FCHG49®* glucosamine hydrochloride, and TRH122®* low molecular weight chondroitin sulfate.

What is Cosequin®Equine Powder?
    Cosequin is an exclusive formula of three important ingredients: TRH122®* low molecular weight chondroitin sulfate, FCHG49®* glucosamine hydrochloride, and manganese ascorbate.

Thanks Goo. I've been trying to figure out how to say what you just said so well!
    Y'all ain't right!

Good to know and thanks for the correction.

Are there studies to show they need that much? My horses have always done fine on the one for small, two for big horses dosage of the original Cosequin. It is my understanding that past a certain point with supps they stop absorbing and pee the rest out, but I don't know what that point is.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    It is my understanding that past a certain point with supps they stop absorbing and pee the rest out, but I don't know what that point is.
    LOL there's no proof they absorb any oral joint supplement if you want to get technical. granted last time i had my ear to the ground and studies at my fingertips was 3 years ago.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Ugh, sounds about right. Well, for what it is worth I have noticed no difference between feeding one scoop of ASU and two scoops of regular Cosequin, so will continue on the latter at half the cost. I do notice improvement over nothing at all on either regimen. It could be a placebo effect, but so it goes. Plus, the horse will actually eat the regular Cosequin, an added benefit.

I don't know the rules for other disciplines, but using MSM is illegal in Endurance so we can't use Cosequin ASU (and a lot of other supplements) anyway...
    Makes life easier -- regular Cosequin it is

What's the rationale behind not allowing MSM to be fed? Isn't it just sulphur? (Which is supposedly available in green grass.)

I wish I'd bother to look at dates before I get carried away.

Well, for what it is worth, I stopped feeding any Cosequin at all about a year after this thread and haven't missed it. So I think I had a decade's worth of expensive pee, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Well, for what it is worth, I stopped feeding any Cosequin at all about a year after this thread and haven't missed it. So I think I had a decade's worth of expensive pee, probably.
    Most of us have years or decades of such pee