The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PSA about truck/trailer breakdowns, even 'minor' ones

I read a thread on COTH last week about truck/trailer breakdowns and thought "I MUST get that US Rider coverage!" but didn't.

Yesterday I was hauling my daughter and her mule to a riding lesson nearby. The truck broke down on a busy highway, but I was able to limp to the side. My husband happened to be home, and came with our Suburban. I luckily had my bumper pull instead of my gooseneck. AAA came to tow the truck. Our plan was to block up the front and back of the trailer, leave the mule inside, unhook it from truck, have the tow guy yank the truck out onto the flatbed, slide the Suburban in and quickly re-hook. We did, and I limped home OK towing a trailer my Suburban is not rated to tow.

Lessons learned:

• Subscribe to US Rider.
    • Always keep wheel blocks, jack and tongue block IN the trailer. I had left them at home. After all, it was just a 3 mile trip.
      • Pack flares.
    • Always wear good SHOES. I wore sandals. After all, it was my kid's lesson, and I didn't have to handle the horse that day....
    • Keep a stud chain in the trailer in case you have to restrain/remove a horse in a bad place.

All in all, we were fine, but it was 2 hours on the side of the highway and a lot of effort on everyone's end, and one stressed mule. I kept thinking how screwed I'd be if I had the gooseneck.

Sign me,
    Signing up for US Rider today

US Rider is amazing. They managed to get to my husband who had a flat in the middle of a hurricane evacuation, when the roads were completely gridlocked. I am a customer for life.

Reflective triangles are generally prefered to flares.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Maybe. But those new LED flares look AMAZING! I want soooooo bad.

Actually, maybe I can get them for Xmas. Hmmm.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Also remember that AAA, even with RVPlus won't tow your trailer!

I once had to find a tow company who had the ability to tow a goose neck trailer and they sent that plus a rollback. We just billed AAA double miles to cover the cost of two recovery trucks.

Another thumbs up for US Rider !!

Love US Rider! My truck broke down a couple years ago as I was pulling in to a show. I was able to find a ride home for my horse (although US Rider would have helped if needed), and they towed the whole rig out of there. It was quite a sight to see the truck and trailer, still hitched up, being towed away. They dropped the trailer off at my farm, then took the truck to the shop.

I've also used them when the starter went in my truck. No start, parked right inside my garage. No problem for US Rider, they came to my house, pulled it out of the garage and took it to the shop.

No charge for either incident. I usually drive/trailer by myself, and I feel good knowing that I won't be stuck anywhere without help. US Rider rocks!

I too have US Rider, but have never needed it.

I got it several years ago, when I had not one, but two flats.
    Changed the first one, a few miles down, had a second flat, it was a Sunday mid afternoon and AAA could NOT find someone right then, "because there was an important football game on and everyone is watching it".

I kept airing it with my little compressor every few miles and so limped home the last 20+ miles.

They never even checked back to see if I was still waiting on them on the side of the road.

Another very happy USRider customer. Had a breakdown with my car and called them. The first words out of the customer rep's mouth was "are you and your horses safe and okay?" Fortunately, I wasn't hauling at the time, but it's nice to know the folks you call have their priorities straight. Even at that, they had a truck to me within 30 minutes. During rush hour.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Maybe. But those new LED flares look AMAZING! I want soooooo bad.

Actually, maybe I can get them for Xmas. Hmmm.
    Strobe type flares are also good, provided you keep the batteries fresh. The traditional burning flares are the ones to avoid, leaking fuel, hay, shavings etc.....
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

I know! Not to mention kinda bad for the environment. I'm looking at stocking my truck and the BF's truck with these; he hauls to roping clinics and rodeos quite often. I might stick some in my patrol bag too, since I can see myself catching my hair on fire using the regular ones...

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Default Another MUST have

Another PSA, instead of using a jack to change tires get a Trailer Aid. Totally easy. Had to change a blow out in 100 degree weather this summer and we did it in about 7 minutes (would have been faster, but none of us had changed a tire in 10+ years).

No one stops anymore because they all assume you have a cell phone and can call somone who cares.

Sad.
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Another PSA, instead of using a jack to change tires get a Trailer Aid. Totally easy. Had to change a blow out in 100 degree weather this summer and we did it in about 7 minutes (would have been faster, but none of us had changed a tire in 10+ years).

No one stops anymore because they all assume you have a cell phone and can call somone who cares.

Sad.
    Around here, few will stop because a 67 year old farmer that did two years ago got murdered by a druggie, his money and pickup stolen.
    They caught the fellow a few days later, still driving the stolen pickup, way down the road.
    That flat tire was a set-up.

actually, in my experience, the folks who stop...are the ones in horse trailers -- if you are hauling, they'll stop to see if you or horses need help.

Check to make sure you can loosen those lug nuts yourself, with the gear you have on hand.
    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    actually, in my experience, the folks who stop...are the ones in horse trailers -- if you are hauling, they'll stop to see if you or horses need help.

Check to make sure you can loosen those lug nuts yourself, with the gear you have on hand.
    Or carry a piece of pipe for a cheater bar.
    You can then break any nut off.
    Just be careful not to break the bolt, that would not be wise.

A 3' to 4' piece of pipe that fits over whatever you use for lugwrench should work.

agreed -- but i also learned the hard way that the 4 way lug wrench I had for the truck did NOT fit the trailer nuts, so you should start with that...
    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I know! Not to mention kinda bad for the environment.
    I have my popcorn for this one, lol ............. (taking the bait)okay, how does a road flare hurt the evironment?

Awww c'mon! Just tryin' to do my part

Actually, the propellant in flares is perchlorate, which is water soluble and inhibits the uptake of iodine. So, I'm not completely talking out of my ass. Also, can cause some serious burns and fires.

I am Canadian and so have CAA. My RV package specfically says "horse trailers". I have been fortunate to have not had to test this yet.