The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to buy leather lead rope?

For my dad's birth day, I want to get him a leather lead rope w/ chain (since I stole his). It does not need to be the nicest (or most expensive) thing out there, but something that looks nice and isn't stiff as a voard. Long is better since his horse is a beast I'm a bad judge of leather quality of pictures, does anyone have some recommendations?

Thanks!

I've had this one for several years now. It's held up really nicely. I have the 30" chain.

http://www.sstack.com/stable_leads/b...h-brass-chain/

I'll second the Billy Royal they are a nice leather and the chain isn't that thick.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=1870
    get a choice of color

http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=6884
    padded and choice of color.

I'm trying to find the one with two snaps on the chain like the one I had. LOVED that one because it wasn't a stud chain and it looked fantastic on the horse.
    Found it!
    http://www.perrisleather.com/product...cy_Jumper_Lead
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

quillen's
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I highly recommend Quillin shanks.

https://quillin.com/jshop/section.ph...49d688dec0312b

They have quite a few different options, but I have always found their quality to be excellent and their prices are super reasonable. Great service, too.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

So someone on here (when we had that "tack to drool over" thread) turned me onto the leather covered lead from the Tack Shack:

http://www.tackshackocala.com/colesh.html

I don't know about you, but I always wrap my chain lead through the halter so the chain isn't right on the nose, which is kinda a pain for taking on and off. With the leather covered chain, you can just clip it right around the nose without wrapping it and not have to worry about it hurting the nose too much.

Definitely more control than a normal lead and I think if the horse REALLY acted up, he'd still feel the chain through the leather.

And they'll do a nameplate for you.

Go to your local consignment shop. The shank will be in good condition, gently "broken in", and a fair price.

I'll 3rd the Qullin's - just got a new one this week and it came out of the box soft, yummy, and super nice!

It's longer, the shank is 24", just right, and I had a name plate added, about $42 if I recall correctly (not sure where I put my receipt).

I buy all my halters and leads from there - exellent quality, good prices, and great service.
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Quote Originally Posted by reefy! View Post
    I'll 3rd the Qullin's ...
    I buy all my halters and leads from there - exellent quality, good prices, and great service.
    Yep I'll 4th Quillins. I also buy all of mine from there too.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakeGirl View Post

I don't know about you, but I always wrap my chain lead through the halter so the chain isn't right on the nose, which is kinda a pain for taking on and off. With the leather covered chain, you can just clip it right around the nose without wrapping it and not have to worry about it hurting the nose too much.

Definitely more control than a normal lead and I think if the horse REALLY acted up, he'd still feel the chain through the leather.

But part of the reason for wrapping it is to keep it from slipping down--does the leather covering prevent that?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I have two stunning ones from tack shack. . . better price the quillians and I can't imagine better leather

Default Another suggestion

Love Quillin's also - usually slow to deliver but beautiful quality. Here's another website that I have purchased from many times and am very pleased with quality and service.. I get a small nameplate placed on the lead line up close to the chain because these lovely leather leadlines have a way of growing "legs"

http://www.kbchorsesupplies.com/brow...shop/2,35.html
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    But part of the reason for wrapping it is to keep it from slipping down--does the leather covering prevent that?
    I run the chain through the ring on the left side of the cheek...up and over the nose and clip to the right side. Doesn't slip.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakeGirl View Post
    I run the chain through the ring on the left side of the cheek...up and over the nose and clip to the right side. Doesn't slip.
    I prefer to run through the right ring and up the cheek to the other ring, so there's less of a tendency to pull the cheek piece up to rub the eye.
    (does require a longish chain, though.)
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.