The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lead Ropes Saved my Car

My poor little car was struck today and the driver's side back door is bent and won't shut. What do you know, my emergency kit does not have bungees (unsure how that happened). Fortunately my OTHER emergency kit had two lead ropes. My coworker, a former breeder of Arabians, tied my door shut-ish with one of my spare leads. So I got my car home safe and did not need to be towed. Woot?

Until I use my car's floor mat as a saddle pad, I'm going to remain convinced that horses are superior modes of transportation.

My spare leadrope saved a friend's car from being stuck in a snowy muddy ditch. Unfortunately, the leadrope did not survive Yay for not needing to be towed.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

Wow- yup- lead ropes should be a necessity in everyone's car! I've tied doors shut (not on mine, but a friend in the winter had the latch freeze open once- got it home to the garage using flashers and a lead), catch loose dogs (that I knew where their home was), loose horses (you never know wen you live in a rural area) and cows. Yay leads!
    And yes- horses are much more dependable than these moterized contraptions we drive around! We need to start a petition to get workplaces to allow us to ride or drive our much more dependable animals, which would be energy efficient, environmentally friendly, and fun! (I say this as I manage a tack store, surrounded by horsie things, but no horses! LOL!)
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

I used stirrup leathers once to give myself an extra hand carrying a very large chair. If I'd put a knot in a leadrope and snapped into it I could have made that work also. I used one leather for the oversize-but-light chair, around the back of it, and another to go through a door handle and around a column, so I could get the chair out one door and in another. Made moving it do-able alone.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I used stirrup leathers once to give myself an extra hand carrying a very large chair. If I'd put a knot in a leadrope and snapped into it I could have made that work also. I used one leather for the oversize-but-light chair, around the back of it, and another to go through a door handle and around a column, so I could get the chair out one door and in another. Made moving it do-able alone.
    Reminds me of last winter. Wrap stirrup leather aorund waist. Tie lead rope to stirrup leather. clip stuirrup leather to hard-body sled. Drag sled with 100# tractor battery through waist-deep snow to skidder... drag 50# feed bags to remote pastures.... drag... drag...

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    Reminds me of last winter. Wrap stirrup leather aorund waist. Tie lead rope to stirrup leather. clip stuirrup leather to hard-body sled. Drag sled with 100# tractor battery through waist-deep snow to skidder... drag 50# feed bags to remote pastures.... drag... drag...
    I'd cheat. Grab harness, put on horse, let horse drag . . . drag . . .
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I'd cheat. Grab harness, put on horse, let horse drag . . . drag . . .
    The lovely clydesdale in question earned her keep breaking trails open to pastures and working fence with my wife.

About as far as I was going to ask of her was to drag me around for a bit on the sled for fun afterward... once, because I've never done it before.

Our Scottish Utility Vehicles more than earned their keep

Frankly, in the grand scheme of things, I lost 20 pounds between december and march... I made good use of the excercise!

Quote Originally Posted by 00pisces View Post
    ... tied my door shut-ish with one of my spare leads. So I got my car home safe and did not need to be towed. Woot?
    That's hysterical! Your bent-up rat-trap of a car sounds like something I'd drive.... and because our standards are low (shut-tish is good enough, temporarily), we are happy campers.

I too have found horse equipment to serve vehicles well and save me a tow.

Dirty navajo floating around in my truck/horse laundry basket provided traction on an icy road/ditch.

A nylon lunge line, my strong truck and hitch together have pulled more than one car out of ditches.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

You can fix anything with bailing twine and duct tape.

Lead rope to temporarily tie up a co-teachers muffler until she could get to the repair shop. Of course, this did involve me sliding under her car-in a dress, while a male co-worker stood there and told me what to do. I guess only horse people know how to use these things. Oh, many uses for hay strings!!
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

I once used my bra to retrieve an escaped pony.

(perhaps he's the one advertised with the purple haler in that CL ad?).

Glad you could get home safely...and I never have considered using floor mats as a saddle pad....very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post

(perhaps he's the one advertised with the purple haler in that CL ad?).

Glad you could get home safely...and I never have considered using floor mats as a saddle pad....very interesting...
    Hahaha! You win funniest award.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    Story please. Pics useful.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by 00pisces View Post
    My poor little car was struck today and the driver's side back door is bent and won't shut. What do you know, my emergency kit does not have bungees (unsure how that happened). Fortunately my OTHER emergency kit had two lead ropes. My coworker, a former breeder of Arabians, tied my door shut-ish with one of my spare leads. So I got my car home safe and did not need to be towed. Woot?

Until I use my car's floor mat as a saddle pad, I'm going to remain convinced that horses are superior modes of transportation.
    When a horse can run 70 - 80 miles an hour and get me 500 miles in clean comfort, with cool air in sweltering weather, and heat in frigid, I think I will stick to the 21st century. I still love horses but enjoy them for what they are.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

lost half the spare tire holder under the truck.(the spare tire was safe in the back of the truck)I heard this lovely metal grinding noise in the middle of construction, had to stop cause I thought I ran over something, discovered the metal part of the tire holder hanging on by one bolt. I tied it up with a lead rope, unfortunatly it will probally stay like that untill I go to a junk yard and find the parts for it...I have tied up mufflers with baling twine, duct taped horse shoes, There are so many multifunctional uses for horse things....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Story please. Pics useful.
    Warning: Short Novel written by woman taking copious pain meds.

I was driving close to my barn, and saw a cute (but evil) pony standing in the median of a 4 lane highway. I thought "In NC, we do not have "grazing rights", so there's something wrong here". I pulled my car over and decided to see if I could help catch the little escapee. Orange would have been a fitting color, as he was on the highway...bad pony!

Indeed, there was something wrong- you see, evil equine had no halter, no lead, but his mane was partially pulled...hmmmm...I wonder if he ran because he didn't like having his mane pulled?? Anyway, he definitely was not feral, but NOBODY was looking for him!! Well, nobody had caught up with him yet...he was a runner! I looked for my "emergency halter/lead" but it was gone!! Oh yea...I used it for that OTHER evil equine escapee the previous week...but to be fair, that one was ON the BO's property...somewhere...

Anyway, with no halter or lead or even any jumper cables (oh yes, I was about to GO THERE!), I decided I would set the girls free, and save the stupid evil pony before he injured a car. He was a Shetland cross, I think, and those don't get damaged, they CAUSE damage...

So, after numerous attempts to coerce stupid idot to me, I finally remembered a snack in my car, not fully eaten - it was one of those really bad for you but tasty devil's food cakes with creme in the middle that I had picked up on the way out to the barn (don't hate, I was going to work the calories off!), but I decided to use it to tempt the little beast - and it worked!

Little jerk came trotting over - I think he had been fed these before, as he seemed to recognize the sound of cheap plastic wrapper, so as soon as he was in range, I wrapped my bra around his neck and then stood there - I had NO IDEA where this buttlick had come from...and now he was eating my snack.

FINALLY a lady in a volvo with a few kids came by and after they stopped laughing, they thanked me, asked what was on poopsy's face (brown lipstick...NO! It's my SNACK!! morons), they produced a pink halter with sparklies and proceeded to lead pony back...but they were headed in the same direction as I was...and I was not aware of any NEW barns nearby...my stomach dropped...trainer had said something about a new boarder and maybe I could help them out with their pony...yep, it was evil, snack-eating, bra-wearing jerk-face! My face was likely 8 shades of red from embarrassment - I'm not exactly small chested - so the first time these people see me, it's standing in the middle of the highway median, not wearing a bra holding onto my bra with their pony wrapped in it. KLASSY.

And no pics...When I'm not doing the above, I'm classy with a "c"

OMG, you are my new hero. How resourceful!!!

I hope the rotten pony owners bought you a box of decadent cupcakes for that feat Eye In The Sky!!

Eye in the Sky, that is why you should ALWAYS wear a belt. LOL.

And you all lived happily ever after, right?!!

Gosh, I love evil ponies!