The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Are supplements more affective fed AM or PM?

The specific supplements I am wondering about are electrolytes, MSM, liquid HA, and a pre/probiotic digestive supp. So, are they more affective fed at breakfast or dinner? Is twice a day better than once, for some supplements? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GPD123 View Post
    The specific supplements I am wondering about are electrolytes, MSM, liquid HA, and a pre/probiotic digestive supp. So, are they more affective fed at breakfast or dinner?
    Yes

Is twice a day better than once, for some supplements? thanks!
    See the other thread on this - not a lick of difference for probably 99.9999% of OTC stuff.

Ok, so for the specific supplements I mentioned, which are better to feed at which times? Thanks!

LOL, sorry, guess my "yes" point was missed I meant "yes, they are more effective if fed at breakfast or dinner", as opposed to "not fed at all"

It means - doesn't matter in the least when they are fed.

To simplify feeding my horse now gets his supplements a.m./p.m. I pre-mix his feed and it's the same all the time.

For many years I only fed supplements in the a.m. I can't see any difference in my horse doing it one way over the other.

I now just do what's most convenient.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Don't think your horse will be much affected if you feed supplements either in the morning or the evening!

Equally ineffective no matter when you feed them.
    Click here before you buy.

E ffective.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

We have one horse at the barn being weaned off Ulcerguard. He gets his digestive supplement (antacid/stomach soother) at every meal. Other than this sort of situation, I doubt it matters.

I've never seen a difference in mine fed morning, night or twice a day. :-)

The only one I can think of where it MIGHT make a difference is the electrolytes, since they are more likley to need them during the day (hotter, more work).

When I feed electrolytes, I either feed them morning AND evening, or just morning. But it is probably a second order effect and not significant.

For the one horse on Papaya, she gets it with every meal. I imagine that might be the case with other digestive things.

Everything else I feed in the evening, because it is more convenient.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Ok- so sounds like it's not too big of a deal.

I have been doing all of my supplements PM, because of those early horse show mornings when you get there 3+ hours earlier than normal feed times, and the already picky TB won't touch his food with any supplements.

I guess I feel like I should be feeding the electrolyte and the ulcer supp AM, before the strenuous work.

I've always feed electrolytes in the evening because I tend to get the horses worked before pm feeding and I was always taught you can't "stock up" on electrolytes only replace them...any "extra" electrolytes in the horse's body end up in their urine, they don't save them for later. So it seemed the most logical to give them in the meal after they've worked.

But I really don't think it matters all that much...and I don't know how quickly the horse can digest and utilize different supplements....or if they are utilized all. So in the grand scheme of things the best time to feed supplements is the easiest time.

Better to feed the horse supplements in AM and PM. Alot of people like to load the daily dosage onto one feeding. Horses are just like people and can only absorb a certain amount of each ingredient in a short period of time. The concentrations from feeding the daily dosage might be too high for the horse to absorb it all in a short period of time. I see the best results spreading the dosages into AM and PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPD123 View Post
    The specific supplements I am wondering about are electrolytes, MSM, liquid HA, and a pre/probiotic digestive supp. So, are they more affective fed at breakfast or dinner? Is twice a day better than once, for some supplements? thanks!
    Under most circumstances I feed my supplements at night. That way I know he gets them and I don't have to worry about the beet pulp not being soaked or not being soaked long enough.

Horses are just like people and can only absorb a certain amount of each ingredient in a short period of time.
    No, they're not really, and how do you know they can only absorb a "certain amount" in a "short period"? That sounds logical enough, but it's not really something that's known with any degree of certainty, especially for the 1,001 different things with which people supplement their horses.

Common sense is fine, since it's probably the most "accurate" means of using supplements anyhow.

One could just read the recommended feeding directions on the label of the supplement could they not?

For example, maybe certain supplements work better fed before the meal, or need to be given in a large dose to be effective (for that one dose will last 24 hours). Manufacturers think of these things and will recommend what the best way to feed their product is. Why would they tell you to feed it a certain way if that way isn't going to give you good results?

And if they say it doesn't matter, then it probably doesn't matter so long as the horse gets them.

Cricket's Mom

Manufacturers think of these things and will recommend what the best way to feed their product is. Why would they tell you to feed it a certain way if that way isn't going to give you good results?
    This would imply that manufacturers have bothered to look at this and study it. I would be very surprised if this were the case for a large percentage of supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by Unprovoked92 View Post
    I've always feed electrolytes in the evening because I tend to get the horses worked before pm feeding and I was always taught you can't "stock up" on electrolytes only replace them...any "extra" electrolytes in the horse's body end up in their urine, they don't save them for later. So it seemed the most logical to give them in the meal after they've worked.

But I really don't think it matters all that much...and I don't know how quickly the horse can digest and utilize different supplements....or if they are utilized all. So in the grand scheme of things the best time to feed supplements is the easiest time.
    I was just reading about this. You cannot "preload" electrolytes. Feeding them everyday without the horse loosing them during exercise is a waste of money. They just pee them out. You are right to feed electrolytes after exercise only.

The only thing I can really add to this discussion are these two things:
    1. I've noticed if I take vitamins in the evening I have an easier time getting up in the morning... probably doesn't translate to horses though.
    2. If you have a picky horse that takes a while to eat all his grain then add the vitamins/supplements in the feed that the horse is in his stall for the longest time. i.e. if they are in during the day feed the supplements in the morning feed so the chance of them picking through them and eating more of it is increased. hope that makes sense.
    other than that I doubt it makes any difference at all.