The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default USDF Regional Sport Horse Championships - Size of show?

So we have recently been discussing sport horse breed shows and the lack of entries at the local level.

I know that I live in the Mid Atlantic, where the sport horse breed shows are generally well attended. Our regular in hand shows have usually about 5-15 horses per class, with the yearlings and 2 years olds having the higher number of entrants. Even this year, despite being slightly down in numbers, they were within that range. Devon is our Regional Championship, and routinely has 15+ entries per class, even as high as 30-40 entries per class. This year DAD Breed Show also has good numbers (27 in my yearling filly class), though not as high as maybe 4-5 years ago.

Anyway, because I am pretty close (geographically) to NEDA, I have always kept track of their fall Championship. The numbers per class have always been relatively low per class (usually 5-8), and this year they were really low (despite good $$$ prizes).
    http://www.foxvillage.com/fvdsqlnetd...px?sh=634&st=1

So for those of you in other regions, how many competitors generally attend your Regional Championships (ie, # entries per class)? Or does anyone have the results links for their area, and I can go look.

Maybe my viewpoint is skewed since I am always going to DAD, but I don't see how NEDA can keep supporting their Championships with such low numbers of entrants? Maybe I should take a trek up their instead of DAD with the cash prizes and not very many entrants.

...so just wondering class size for the other regions?
    Last edited by Edgewood; Sep. 16, 2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: clarified I meant the breed show not dressage show

We have a pony at the Neda show now who is wait listed to get in several classes. Entries were in in good time. We got into the TL Championship class
    today which started at 9.45am finished at 1.49 (I believe) but are still waiting to get into any TL or FL classes. I hope we can get in otherwise its going to be an expensive show for us with the cost of stalling and transportation etc. just for one class.

My trainer was wait listed for a while to get into her PSG and I1 Championship classes with her own horse. She did get in.

As far as I'm aware the classes were huge. I'm told that as well as the Dressage show, the Breed show there is also a hunter jumper show going on at the same venue.

Very busy.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Feakins View Post
    We have a pony at the Neda show now who is wait listed to get in several classes. Entries were in in good time. We got into the TL Championship class
    today which started at 9.45am finished at 1.49 (I believe) but are still waiting to get into any TL or FL classes. I hope we can get in otherwise its going to be an expensive show for us with the cost of stalling and transportation etc. just for one class.

My trainer was wait listed for a while to get into her PSG and I1 Championship classes with her own horse. She did get in.

As far as I'm aware the classes were huge. I'm told that as well as the Dressage show, the Breed show there is also a hunter jumper show going on at the same venue.

Very busy.

True- NEDA is always packed in terms of dressage rides, but I think the OP is specifically refering to the breed divisions, which are usually somewhat low. (and yes, Marshall and Sterling finals are also going on up there)

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    True- NEDA is always packed in terms of dressage rides, but I think the OP is specifically refering to the breed divisions, which are usually somewhat low. (and yes, Marshall and Sterling finals are also going on up there)
    Yes, I am NOT speaking of the dressage classes, but rather the in hand classes. Sorry if it was not clear...

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewood View Post

Maybe my viewpoint is skewed since I am always going to DAD, but I don't see how NEDA can keep supporting their Championships with such low numbers of entrants? Maybe I should take a trek up their instead of DAD with the cash prizes and not very many entrants.?
    Dude your filly can win at Devon anyway so you might as well go for the photo that says "Where Champions Meet"!

I do think entries are down somewhat at NEDA, but I think it's because of the new three-day format, which asks competitors to bring young horses to the show for far too long. Most were at their boiling point by the end of three days!

My classes weren't so bad: 9 in the Filly Final, 11 in the Futurity, 9 in the Hanoverian IBC. In the years I've gone, these are normal numbers.

Many people I know, including myself, chose to do 1 or 2 days rather than all three. The people I spoke to who did all three said, basically, "never again!" Their horses were fried by the end of three days, especially the foals. Some I know are boycotting the show altogether to protest the new format. It does seem rather foolhardy to expand the show in this economic climate. I hear that the idea was "to make it more like Devon."

We were talking about the format change at the exhibitor's party and saying it's tough on the horses, tough on those who work for a living, and tough on the pocketbook, since the same number of classes are offered, just now over three days, so it involves an additional hotel night, food, etc. One official said, rather curtly, "well if you don't like it, don't come on Tuesday!"

It is a fun show, though, with lots of great people, and I have to say that the competition was actually quite steep. You can always try it one year and go back to Devon the next if you don't like it. Of course, I agree with YL: you've got a filly who can do incredibly well at Devon, so why mess with that? A good score or win there comes with more bragging rights!
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hansiska View Post
    I do think entries are down somewhat at NEDA...

My classes weren't so bad: 9 in the Filly Final, 11 in the Futurity, 9 in the Hanoverian IBC. In the years I've gone, these are normal numbers.
    http://dressageatdevon.org/cms/2009p...sults-Tues.pdf

These are the numbers of entrants last year, and they were down from 2008. This year's entries are about the same as 2009.

There were ~27-28 fillies (counting quickly) in the GAIG finals last year. 20+ in each age group class. The Hanoverian IBC at DAD is split into 2 and under and 3 and older and has usually 15+ entrants for the older group and 20+ for the younger group.

Yes, but I looked the past few years at the NEDA results page and the entries were low. But again, I am comparing it to DAD. So maybe my perspective is skewed.

It is a fun show, though, with lots of great people, and I have to say that the competition was actually quite steep. You can always try it one year and go back to Devon the next if you don't like it.
    Yes my friend from NY keeps telling me to come. She says the showgrounds is wonderful and the people nice. And it really isn't that far for me to go. And for the past 3 years I have truly considered going.

And Kendra, you are right, the scores for the top horses were super. High 70s or 80+ is a great score anywhere, and that is what counts, especially towards year end. And Melanie Pai always goes and she only has super horses . So my comments about numbers are not about quality, the quality is there, albeit in lower numbers. I was just musing that it might be a bit easier to win some $$ at that show. As you just found out Kendra, great for you!!

Of course, I agree with YL: you've got a filly who can do incredibly well at Devon, so why mess with that? A good score or win there comes with more bragging rights!
    Very sweet of you both! Just you both don't jinx me. I have had many a nice horse go to DAD only to have them not show as well as normal there (ie, showed well, but not as well).

Anyway it just got me wondering about the other regions. Anyone from the Southern, Western, or Central regions want to comment or send me the links to where their Day sheets/Results are?

Kris, how long do you think it would take you to get to NEDA from your farm? I am also very curious to hear what others say.

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    Kris, how long do you think it would take you to get to NEDA from your farm? I am also very curious to hear what others say.
    About 3 1/2 hours. I drive longer to get to shows in my region, eg, VA to Morven (3h45m) or Lexington (5 h)

Thanks

You know, you could go to NEDA and try just the breed show qualifier on the first day. This way you'd get a feel for the show and could use the score toward your year-end awards, then do your finals at Devon.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

I was just talking to Mo Swanson yesterday about the championships. She said that she had wished that she had declared for region 8 instead of our Pa region. Saugerties is so much closer to where we live than where region 1 has theirs.

Our West Coast GAIC championships are in 3 weeks. Day sheets won't be out until next week. At the championships it is ONLY the championship class. There aren't age classes like at Devon etc for an extra score. There isn't prize money or individual breed classes either. Very few shows in our region hold IBC/Restricted classes. Average class size for my boy has been 5-7 entries in the 2 year old colts/geldings. The filly classes have been really small.

Only the current year foal, filly and colt/gelding championship classes will be held. I have been tracking it and I know there were 16 horses qualified for my championship class (colts/geldings) as of the beginning of this month. I'm not sure how many will sign up for the actual championship. We'll be making the haul to Burbank for it. It's a long haul for one class, that's for sure....400 miles each way.
    Cloverfox Stables

You can see entries for the SE Series Championships here.

http://www.goodhorseman.org/2010%20G...8Sunday%29.pdf

The Series Final championship classes begin on page 8. Those are the horses already qualified. There are also qualifying classes on Saturday and on Sunday before the championship classes, so there could be more horses in the Finals.

I also know of several other horses that qualified but will not be competing due to conflicting events, and in one case, a SUPER 2010 colt who qualified but will not be attending the finals because the owner feels these shows are too much stress for foals.

I do not know how these classes compare size wise with last year - the SE series tends to rotate between GA and FL, and I did not attend the FL Finals last year so I am not sure how big those classes were.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua's Mom View Post
    I was just talking to Mo Swanson yesterday about the championships. She said that she had wished that she had declared for region 8 instead of our Pa region. Saugerties is so much closer to where we live than where region 1 has theirs.
    But this is true only for the dressage Championships, which are further south in Region 1. Not for the sport horse Championships, which are in Devon, 50 min from me

Our USDF Breeders classes were making good progress over the last couple of years, but this years Championship show (both USDFBC and Dressage classes) has been canceled due to lack of entries. Our next closest final is a 14+ hour drive for us so our "kids" are staying home

Quote Originally Posted by NoDQhere View Post
    Our USDF Breeders classes were making good progress over the last couple of years, but this years Championship show (both USDFBC and Dressage classes) has been canceled due to lack of entries. Our next closest final is a 14+ hour drive for us so our "kids" are staying home
    That is really a shame. Bad enough about the DSHB finals, but even more so about the riding championships being canceled!

What region are you in?

And Congratulations Hansiska on your wins at NEDA!!! Sorry I missed the show this year!
    http://www.neda.org/FallFestival-Results.html
    "The stumbler doesn’t build her life by being better than others, but by being better than she used to be."
    David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewood View Post
    http://dressageatdevon.org/cms/2009p...sults-Tues.pdf

These are the numbers of entrants last year, and they were down from 2008. This year's entries are about the same as 2009.

There were ~27-28 fillies (counting quickly) in the GAIG finals last year. 20+ in each age group class. The Hanoverian IBC at DAD is split into 2 and under and 3 and older and has usually 15+ entrants for the older group and 20+ for the younger group.

Yes, but I looked the past few years at the NEDA results page and the entries were low. But again, I am comparing it to DAD. So maybe my perspective is skewed.

Yes my friend from NY keeps telling me to come. She says the showgrounds is wonderful and the people nice. And it really isn't that far for me to go. And for the past 3 years I have truly considered going.

And Kendra, you are right, the scores for the top horses were super. High 70s or 80+ is a great score anywhere, and that is what counts, especially towards year end. And Melanie Pai always goes and she only has super horses . So my comments about numbers are not about quality, the quality is there, albeit in lower numbers. I was just musing that it might be a bit easier to win some $$ at that show. As you just found out Kendra, great for you!!

Very sweet of you both! Just you both don't jinx me. I have had many a nice horse go to DAD only to have them not show as well as normal there (ie, showed well, but not as well).

Anyway it just got me wondering about the other regions. Anyone from the Southern, Western, or Central regions want to comment or send me the links to where their Day sheets/Results are?
    I'm in the central region and honestly, our shows are tiny. But this is not new this year; in the last couple of years our shows have perhaps shown a bit of growth, but due to the lack of breeders in the region I think they will always be small. Our region offers 3 shows, total. There is a two-day/two-show qualifier in Nebraska and then a qualifying/regional final show (held on a single day) usually in the Kansas City area. Here are the results from the last qualifier/final shows this year: http://www.midamericasporthorse.com/...ore%202010.pdf
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Okay, thanks everyone. I have looked and it seems that NEDA is similar to a lot of the other regions.

So my perspective IS skewed because of my proximity to DAD and also the other qualifying in hand shows, which are much larger, it seems, than even the other regions Finals.

thanks everyone!