The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default body clipping saturday - show sheen or no show sheen?

so after a bath do you recommend applying show sheen or does it really make no difference?

i bought a bottle of it in the spring when i was clipping and forgot to use it (that was the first time every i was planning to use it before clipping).
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I think it makes the job easier, but you can always apply it just before clipping--so if you're not sure, maybe just show sheen one butt-cheek, do that part, then do the other "without" and see which you prefer.
    Click here before you buy.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I wouldn't go out and buy a bottle for the job, but if I had some handy, it's not going to hurt and it might make it a little easier on your clippers.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

It makes a difference to me, by a lot, but I find it works best when applied when they are wet after they get a really good bath, and tons of it. I do make sure I have a bottle of it (or vetorlin shine) every time I clip.

Go for the show sheen. And wash the rump about ummmmm 10 times? The top of the booty dirt KILLS clipper blades...

Default i still have a full bottle of it

from the spring when i forgot to use it.

i'll try it on saturday. plan is to wash her early am, let her dry, and then clip in early afternoon - it's going to be LONG day

If you have it...use it. makes clipping so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by n2dressage View Post
    The top of the booty dirt KILLS clipper blades...
    that is so true!!! and she already has a longish coat so i'm sure it'll take a ton of effort for water and shampoo to penetrate and get all that dirt out.

If you can't bathe, I have found that using a ton of Show Sheen makes the job go much easier (I also use it when I can bathe).

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

I'll do you one better. this is the absolute best method to have a clean, fast clip job that won't kill your clippers.

Bath thoroughly. Really scrub and rinse out that dirt. Mix a full bucket of very warm water and a big glug of mineral oil . Just plain old mineral oil from the drug store. Sponge the whole bucket all over the horse, body neck legs everywhere you plan to clip. Really rub it in, especially on the legs. Sweat scrape. Let horse dry.

Then clip. The hair will cut like hot butter and your horses coat will look fantastic. Their skin will not be razor burned or scurfy.

I promise you, this method blows away Show Sheen any day. Best method ever and cheap.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

You can also use baby oil in place of the mineral oil.
    Whoever said money can't buy happiness never owned a horse.

Baby oil is just mineral oil with fragrance added.

I've always used Show Sheen or the like, but think I'll give the mineral oil a try! At any rate the show sheen makes life so much easier when clipping!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

On the bath portion, I've found those little exfoliating bath gloves are a lifesaver. You can really get in there with your fingers and scrub. I pick up a pair every time I have to clip.

Thumbs up went with the baby oil

so on winfieldfarm's and islandgirl's recommendation i went with baby oil and the results were amazing. i'm no clipping expert. i do it once or twice a year. this time it came out so much better. no 'tram' lines. and her coat looks glossy and gorgeous.

thanks!

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

so glad it worked for you Marta, I swear by this method but I can't take the credit. Thank the late great Tom McNair for this one.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

cool tip winfield! I will try it next time I clip!

Default So I wonder ....

Quote Originally Posted by winfieldfarm View Post
    I'll do you one better. this is the absolute best method to have a clean, fast clip job that won't kill your clippers.

Bath thoroughly. Really scrub and rinse out that dirt. Mix a full bucket of very warm water and a big glug of mineral oil . Just plain old mineral oil from the drug store. Sponge the whole bucket all over the horse, body neck legs everywhere you plan to clip. Really rub it in, especially on the legs. Sweat scrape. Let horse dry.

Then clip. The hair will cut like hot butter and your horses coat will look fantastic. Their skin will not be razor burned or scurfy.

I promise you, this method blows away Show Sheen any day. Best method ever and cheap.
    Do you think this would work when grooming dogs too? I have standard poodles (and maltese and shihtzu, but I don't clip them as much) and I'm wondering if the curly hair would interfere with this plan?

I'm also trying to find the absolute best (money is no object haha) clippers for dual purpose of body clipping and dog clipping. Would prefer the best cordless (or portable) since electricity isn't always easy for us with the horses.