The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shopping for pre-teen girl, shirt recommendations?

I am doing some birthday shopping for a pre-teen horse girl who just started showing this year. She needs a few show shirts, what do you experienced moms and teen riders recommend? Which colors, long sleeve versus short sleeve, monogram styles, brands? Any recommendations is GREATLY appreciated!

Oh - she has a black show coat and rides different ponies/horses. She lives in a cooler area.

Absolutely long sleeved. I would get her one plain classic white one that she can use for eq-type classes - make sure it's thick enough not to be see-through - and one or two ones in a cute colored pattern. You can monogram the chokers however - people have been pretty creative with them in the last few years, just don't go too over the top.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Definitely long sleeved! I don't think anyone is really doing the monogrammed collars anymore but the kids really like the shirts with the snap collar. At least one white and maybe a color for the hunters.

So are the hunt pins back in style for the kids, or just plain collars? TIA - I have been to a few local shows lately but honestly didn't pay attention to these details.

ah1423 Guest

Default Show Shirt

Long sleeved definitely! I just got one of the new snap collars and LOVE it! Lots of compliments when I have worn it. We are still doing monograms (I wouldn't do a pin). I also agree with at least one white shirt (great all around shirt) and maybe another in a light color (light pink, light blue, light purple). Here is the RJ Classics shirt with the snap collar:

http://www.rjclassics.com/dyn_prod.p...733TT&k=149938

Good luck!

Where we are - no monograms and no pins - just plain collars....

Personally, I'm terminally lazy about monograms. I think they're cute, but it's never been the sort of thing that's actually mattered to me. Thus, any shirt I buy new winds up with no monogram, any shirt I bought used usually has one that belongs to someone else. I'd skip the pins.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I agree with everyone on a good white shirt and a cute color shirt. The snap colors are great and like many others here D does not do any monograms on her collars.