The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jump Start offspring?

Has anyone here had experience with Jump Start offspring? I am very interested in a not-yet-ottb who is very sweet, has nice conformation, etc., but I have heard from one person that some of his offspring have broken down on the track. Any info would be much appreciated!

Very flashy, I haven't heard anything negative.

He himself is a nice horse, or was when I saw him.

I picked up a 3 year old Jump Start off the track in April of 09. He never raced because of swelling in his front ankles. They paid plenty for him, was owned big name and with a big named trainer, so I am guessing they did everything in their power to get him sound. They never really found anything wrong other than soft tissue.

I gave him a full year of turn out and so far, no swelling and is sound. He is very very very handsome and seems to have a great brain.

Ive been around a few and they seem very level headed, in addition to sporting flash galore. Conversely, I happened to work with Jump Start's full brother while he was in training, and he was a bit goofy. I particularly love that AP Indy crazy eye!

I know nothing of Jump Start.... but LOVE my Malibu Moon's and have a nice Dance with Ravens..... so pretty much I am liking the whole A.P. Indy thing Not horses for the faint of heart, they are very light to ride and OH SO powerful!!!!!

That said if anyone gets a line on an Include horse- go for it!!! mine is AMAZING!!!!!
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Thanks for the input! The horse I'm interested in has been apparently sound for his racing career so far (he's a 3 year old). I've just lost 2 thoroughbreds and a dog in the last year (and I'd never lost a horse before this), so I'm particularly cautious this time around. I have met this guy in person and he's very very sweet and mellow. Too mellow to do well on the track evidently. I'm just waiting for his owner to officially retire him. He is very handsome too, relatively small, but compact with an athletic build. I have only seen him in a stall so far, so I'm hoping his movement is nice as well. Because he's never at the front of the pack in his races, I can't see much of his movement from the race replays.

There is Jump Start colt on CANTER PA listed right now that looks like a nice guy too. A little bit longer in the back than the horse I am interested in, but he looks very athletic.

Never had any experience with any Jump Start babies, just had to pipe in and say that I think that Canter colt looks amazing, and I only wish I had the money to snatch him up! I was actually considering posting a thread here to draw some attention to him! His back is a bit long, but he looks pretty fabulous otherwise, I must say! Of course, I'm very partial to the dark bays!