The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Warm / Long Winter Riding Vest??

Sorry to start a clothing thread, but I really need some advice!

For as long as I can remember, I have been looking for a warm, functional, vest to ride in during the fall. It is about to be that time again, well as least by December in Texas, and I would like some advice. Dover's new sale catalog got me thinking, and where better to go for riding clothes advice than COTH??

I am a size 8/10, 5'8 with a pretty large chest, so I always have an issue with vests being too short. Sooo.... any advice out there on vests that you enjoy riding in? Any to stay away from?

Thanks in advance!

I loved my North Face one until it went "missing" a few weeks ago.... :'( I miss it a lot now that it has gotten pretty chilly up here. I find it a pretty good length for me.

I have a Horseware down vest that I love...but it's REALLY warm, perhaps too warm for Texas. Actually mine was a jacket with sleeves that zipped off to make a vest. The sleeve zipper broke, but I've never cared, because it's so warm that I've only wanted to wear it as a vest. I'm not very busty, but I do have a really long body, and it works for me.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have a Northface one that I love - it's thin and comfortable but *toasty* warm. You can frequently find them on Ebay for very reasonable prices, even new with the tags still on them.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I have an Addidas down vest that I really enjoy wearing when riding. It keeps me nice and warm. I'm 5'7" with a long torso and DD boobs and it probably hits me right at my hip bones. Got it at Marshall's for $30.

You can also try some of the more "fashion" type vests that are at Old Navy or the like. Those are usually more generously cut in length since thats more popular right now.

I am very long in the torso and have the same problem with shirts/jackets/etc. being too short. I have a Mountain Horse vest that I LOVE. It's nice and long and just a really nice piece to have.

http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=ER01810

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I don't think they make them anymore, but I have an ariat down quilted vest that is super warm and has the rider design (lower in the back). I also have a thinsulate super light ariat vest that is much more versatile (however I was using that down vest plenty last winter!)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I'm on my second down vest from LLBean. I'm 5'10, and it's long enough for me (hits around my hips), and very lightweight, though puffy. The original one I had held up incredibly well, but eventually just got so dirty I had to put it out of its misery after a decade. I've found the brown hides barn dirt much better than my original purple one did.

sunshinemom Guest

Love northface and old navy makes them longer as well

Thanks! I have been looking on ebay, not too much right now... Hopefully something will work out. I will also go look at Old Navy!

Lands End - can't beat the price - I can usually find them for around $20, so I can get lots of them - In the winter, I'll ride in an Under Armour mock turtleneck, a t-shirt, a light fleece, and that down vest. When it gets really cold (for NC, that's in the 30s), I'll just switch to a heavier fleece, and the vest still keeps me toasty warm. Plenty long enough, very warm, can't beat it!!!!

Oh, and I'm 5'7", with large chest, but smaller waist - these fit great without binding either at the chest or the hips.

2nd Lands End The men vests are cut a little larger and fit over a sweatshirt--and came in darker colors for barn work.
    Tater-my Western Sport Horse
    http://www.clipshack.com/5539

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    I'm on my second down vest from LLBean. I'm 5'10, and it's long enough for me (hits around my hips), and very lightweight, though puffy. The original one I had held up incredibly well, but eventually just got so dirty I had to put it out of its misery after a decade. I've found the brown hides barn dirt much better than my original purple one did.
    Ditto this, I love my LL Bean vest. Nice and long in the back too. I got mine for $20 on sale. Can't beat that. My horse can stick his entire nose in the pocket. Depending on your horse, this may be a good or a bad thing.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

North Face makes a very thin vest called something like wind wall. It is amazing. Love mine.

I am tall and need a long size too so I buy the mens vests from Land's End.

I think last season they were like $20 a piece on special.

The Marinac jacket from them is a gift from God, btw.