The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Good mover or not?

I can't really decide with this mare..
    She's one we're (most likely) going to try out, as we're looking for a cheap prospect. She'd eventually be an eq. horse for me, and possibly some pre-children's/children's hunters just for the heck of it.
    She looks fancy for an OTTB, but I still get the feeling it looks a bit 'funny.'
    Opinions?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYJmn...layer_embedded
    (Actual video doesn't start until a little after 10 seconds).

P.S. I've been 'stalking' the forums for quite a while, but only recently made an account.. you'll have to bear with me being a newb for a bit. :P

I don't think she's lame, I just think she's not using her back. Her front end and hind ends are working apart, not together. I think she's cute!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?

Quote Originally Posted by Adelita View Post
    I don't think she's lame, I just think she's not using her back. Her front end and hind ends are working apart, not together. I think she's cute!
    Okay, thanks! I'm sure that could be fixed (:

I would want to see her canter before I drove anywhere to look at her. That trot may be something to work with, but her canter is going to be a lot more difficult (see: near impossible) to improve if she is naturally that disunited...
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Just from this video, I think she has too much knee action to place well in the hunters, but if you're only using her for equitation, she could be a good prospect. I agree with the previous posters and would ask for a more detailed video before going to see her.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelita View Post
    I don't think she's lame, I just think she's not using her back. Her front end and hind ends are working apart, not together.
    I think she has been forced into this frame by use of draw reins in the past. She is behind the vertical, breaks on the wrong part of neck, and her hind legs move more vertical than forward from being hindered. Just my theory.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Trilogy48 View Post
    Just from this video, I think she has too much knee action to place well in the hunters, but if you're only using her for equitation, she could be a good prospect. I agree with the previous posters and would ask for a more detailed video before going to see her.

Agreed. Now her trot may improve if she can poke out her nose a bit and relax her shoulder... and she's not a bad mover, but "10" (per the video title) is not the number I would use. However if her canter is fantabulous and she comes with that trot, that would be just fine in my book (I would prefer a horse with a better canter anyway - not so much trotting found in the hunter ring). If her canter was worse then she would really have to be awesome in every other aspect (trainability, attitude, jump and price).
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

The mare looks like she might be a little sore in her back from someone working her in draw reins or a rig for too long. They think she's a 10 mover because she points her toes here and there up front but the front does not match the back.

The sore back can affect the hocks which to me, makes her look a little stabby behind. I'm not seeing her taking lame steps... I think she's just sore and has potential once she's had time to relax and go like a horse instead of a carousel pony.

Worth a look. Get xrays for the PPE. Ask seller if anyone has vetted her and if they say no (or yes for that matter), say, "I'm going to do xrays on the mare if I vet her. Do you already know of something that might pop up on the xrays?" This question always gets me interesting answers.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Sorry. Yuck!

going off this video alone, I also say yuck.

she has zero suspension. there a natural greatness in good gaits that will show up no matter what....it just may not show to it's potential.

In the collect marks of a dressage test, I would give this horse a 5 on gaits according to her trot.

But I agree on the fact that you need to see more.

Her trot , seems to me, like her body is running away a little bit, I would be interested to see her canter. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it is not great, it may even be lateralish, and she will have a lot of action but not cover much ground. Please, prove me wrong!!!

post more video if you get it!

This horse would not make a great hunter, a great eventer, or a great dressage horse going off of this clip of video alone.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    she has zero suspension. .
    Suspension is not a plus in the hunters. It's supposed to be long and low. Not that she's that, either. She's certainly not a ten and I would barely go across town to look at a horse off of a video of her trotting only, and an old video at that. Doesn't she canter, or jump??

I agree with whoever said she looks like she's spent a good bit of time in the draw reins. She's nothing special in front and stabby behind.

Let's see her canter.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

If that is a 10+++ mover then mine is a 20!!! I certainly wouldn't consider movement a perk of that horse.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

So much tension...I would really be worried that she's sore in her back since she doesn't seem to want to use it much. She's tight all over and her showing her teeth makes me think she's really not happy...

Just from my experience, I'm gonna guess she's a firecracker over fences. I might be completely wrong but horses that flat with that much tension generally don't relax and use their backs over fences.

If it's not too far a drive go look - but the fact they only posted video of her trotting one direction for twenty seconds puts a big question mark in my head.

If you do decide to vet her and buy her, draw blood and keep it for a few months...

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilogy48 View Post
    Agree...

She's not a good mover, at least at the trot.

Ditto everything sptraining said.

Don't like it one bit.

Another ditto of what sptraining said. She looks totally uncomfortable and back sore and I can almost see her firecracking to the jumps and the draw reins that were probably taken off for the video.

I always check out the users other uploaded videos.....

ETA: I would want more details on the horse and a longer video for sure. I wonder how old she is?
    Last edited by theinstigator; Sep. 16, 2010 at 07:21 AM.

agreed, I don't think you can tell really anything from that video other than that I don't like her movement at the trot. She's got alot of knee action and as other posters said, very tense. Unless she has an absolutely gorgeous, long, low canter, I would pass.

I think she has potential, but she's not allowed to show it here. I too immediately got the impression she's been DR'd a lot, resulting in no use of her back end, tight back, and just not being able to use her body.

I'd want to see a lot of movement at liberty. I DO think she's worth looking at, even riding, if she's close enough. I think underneath that she's a nice mover, especially if her main use would be for Eq.

Have you seen her jump?

sent you a PM...please read it before you go look at this horse

Pass....there's plenty more nicer horses out there.