The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default quick attire question

I'm going to a recognized event this weekend, entered in BN. For dressage am I okay wearing a navy hunt coat, puke green hunter breeches, white shirt, and ratcatcher? Should I use a stock tie instead of a ratcatcher? I've gone with straight hunter attire at unrecognized events but this is my first recognized. If I really need to I could probably beg, borrow, or steal a dressage coat. I don't have much choice with tack, it will just be a brown close contact saddle and brown bridle with a plain snaffle.

I doubt this is the kind of thing that would get me kicked off the grounds, but I don't want to look too silly

If it's over multiple days and formal dress is required, then your hunter attire is perfectly acceptable. Just make sure you have gloves.

If it's over 1 day, then all you have to wear is tall boots, breeches (puke or tan or beige or white), a conservative coloured polo, helmet and gloves.

Actually, you're even legal with half chaps as long as they're smooth leather. I would stick with the choker with the hunt coat, but navy is acceptable. Just make sure your shirt is white or light color. You'll be fine, have a blast!

PLEASE remember, if you don't wear a coat, don't wear the choker (or stock tie, or whatever). NO neck wear if you don't wear a coat.

Okay, thank you! It's a one day event but I would feel funny doing dressage in just a polo. I will go with my regular hunter attire

Since your location is Southern MD, I am guessing it is Marlborough.

I am going Novice and I am definitely going without jacket or neckwear.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).