The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WHo Knew? Shop Vacs

I like many home owners have a shop vac sitting in my garage what I didn't realize until yesterday was it belongs in the barn! I cleaned cobwebs, the remnents of feed spilled long ago, cleaned up the broken bag of shavings and was able to dump them back in the stall. Then switched it to be a blower and was able to blow the wash stall clean and clear some leaves. I'm in love............you can be too, just bring the shop vac to the barn!

It also works as a horse vac. It's louder than the $500 horse model, but once your horse is conditioned to the noise it is a great money saver.

They work well to vacuum the horses too

If a horse doesn't like the noise, try to keep the vac as far away as possible from the horse, yet allow the hose to reach.

I have a shop vac that resides permanently in my barn. It has helped me clean out so many things that I stopped using the one in the garage and just bought one for the barn. I don't use it on the horses tho - like to hand groom too much.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I have a little one for the barn - light enough that I can hold it with one hand and climb up and down a ladder to the get the cobwebs in the peak of the barn roof. It is an amazing cleaning tool!

I've got a small one also for the barn for grooming the horses and cleaning up spilled feed etc. I don't think it does water though - never tried, actually, so far never needed to do water in the barn (and hopefully won't)!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I have a small one as a travel vaccuum for shows. I bought a $15 curry comb attachment for it and it works great.

You can spend one hour currying and hand brushing a horse or dog and you won't believe what all you can still bring up with any vacuum.

Only a scrubbing bath can get them cleaner.
    By the way, you can also dry a wet horse in a hurry with a vacuum on blow.

Vacuums are amazing.

Default The down side

I admit getting carried away yesterday but as a note to self, remember to wear a face mask next time. I feel a bit sinusie today and am sure the dust and barn dirt I inhaled didn't help. My barn looks beautiful though!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I'm waiting for cooler weather to take out my shop vac and give the barn a good once over!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You can spend one hour currying and hand brushing a horse or dog and you won't believe what all you can still bring up with any vacuum.

Vacuums are amazing.
    Probably very true but the underarm workout isn't quite the same!
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I have a smaller one as well, BUT I got a hose that's like 15 feet long I can keep the vac in the tack room and shut the door to deaden the noise and my horses so love to be vacuumed!
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Hrm, I might be tempted, but I keep mine in the bathroom most of the time, to vacuum up stray cat litter
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I have three, in different sizes Big one lives in the barn and also cleans the car. Medium one lives in garage, it's mostly on spider/cobweb duty. Itty bitty floats around to wherever I need a handy little sucker Haven't tried it on His Highness Mr. TB yet but I used to use it on maresy. Definitely can't live without the ShopVac.

Oh, I wish Keebler would realize the mini-Shop Vac is not Satan Incarnate. He will NOT be desensitized to the thing. So no horse-vacuuming going on here, but it is certainly thoroughly useful for keeping the tack room tidy.
    Click here before you buy.

Mine has an incredibly short hose. Were can you get a long one?? And how do you ensure fit of the new one??
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Tiki, hit a hardware store and ask about shop-vac attachments. They make longer hoses and tube attachments. The tube attachments are great for sucking cobwebs out of the rafters without needing a ladder.

Shop-vac are great for de-mudding a horse too. Well, if it's a wet/dry vac. If my horses come in with wet mud all ground in their coats I just suck it all back out with the big shop-vac...cleans and dries them pretty quick.

Shop-vac is also a big help with hoses in winter...you can either suck or blow them out so water inside doesn't freeze. Hella lot easier and faster than tossing them over a fence or rafter and sliding them around. Just block the other end, stuff a rag in it and suck the hose out with the vac...or leave the other end open and blow it out.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Shop-vac is also a big help with hoses in winter...you can either suck or blow them out so water inside doesn't freeze. Hella lot easier and faster than tossing them over a fence or rafter and sliding them around. Just block the other end, stuff a rag in it and suck the hose out with the vac...or leave the other end open and blow it out.
    Clever girl! I hadn't thought of that one!
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Thanks. I'll check that out. My is only about 4, or maybe 6 feet long and basically worthless.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

yep, our shop vac lives in the feedroom