The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pine Stove Pellets VS. Equine Pine?

Is there any difference between pine pellet stove pellets and equine pine? Other than the picture of the horse on the bag?

I know that we buy stove pellets instead of woody pet, because they are cheaper, and exactly the same, far as we can tell.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I know price will vary in different parts of the country, but what do the stove pellets run you?

No ~ I believe that the stove pellets contain some hard woods ? thus not suitable for horses ~ please be careful ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

As note above, i specifically asked at the store about the Southern State wood pellets and they told me they contained undisclosed hardwoods.

I have not seen pine pellet stove pellets (I think because pine is not good burning material?)

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

We train puppies to the stove pellets starting at 3 1/2 weeks old, but they are hardwood, not pine. I don't see why they wouldn't work though. They break down from the urine into saw dust and I've never seen any that contain walnut. You can buy them from manufacturers for 5 bucks a 40 lb. bag in pallets of 50 or something like 6 or 7 bucks each from Tractor Supply. There is a manufacturer in Louisburg, N.C. but you can find them all over the country with a Google search if you want to buy in quantity. The manufacturer can tell you the varieties of hardwood in them, but the ones I've seen are mostly Poplar, Maple, and Sweet Gum.

We've used the equine pine pellets in a pinch for the puppies when we ran out and couldn't get the hardwood pellets. The pine always smells stronger, but I don't see any difference in how they work.

It all depends upon the brand of pellets. The woodstove pellets we use state on the bag that they are 100% pine or fir with no accellerants or glue, as do almost all of the pellets sold around here (NW Oregon, land of the Douglas Fir).

Just check the bag -- those that don't disclose the contents aren't even considered. I won't use WalMart pellets for that reason, but I'm very happy with Beaver woodstove pellets and those by Blazer.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth