The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Outfitting a barn - suppliers/manufacturers?

Ok, Here I go again. I am in the process of building a barn, 6 stall center aisle. Dimensions are 36x48, there will be a separate tack and feed area. While we are not up to the finishing touches yet, I need to start thinking about the interior such as stalls, feeders, tack racks, etc.

I have no idea where to look for this stuff. I am in New England if region is an issue. Anybody care to share their knowledge, experience with shopping for this stuff?

Thanks in advance!

A lot of your answer will depend on your budget.

Tractor Supply was our best friend and Mr. WTW did all the interior work, including such a stellar job of wiring that our insurance agent wanted the name of the person who did it - lol

We paid an electrician to run the wire underground to the barn and install the breaker box, hubby took it from there.

Speaking of electric, don't forget about electric. What size breaker box, amps, how many outlets and where will they be?

We put our breaker box beside one of the windows and made the little kitchen/prep area on that wall.

I didn't really answer your question except to say we bought everything at TSC. I have pipe panel stalls and the solid walls are lined with hardwood that was custom cut at the local lumber mill.

Thanks for the input. Haven't forgotten about electric. I have two options; run a line right from the pole on the street, or run a line from the house (separate breaker). Got to figure out which is cheaper and better over all. I happen to have a very handy husband and an electrician friend so I'm set there.

I'm more interested in stall doors, hardwear, tack racks, feeders, that type of thing. We have a TSC close to home so I get what I can there, when they have what I want.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I ordered my feeders and buckets (matching green) from one of the major catalogs, that offered "free shipping over so much $$". I have round grain feeders that have 3 snaps, which makes for easy removal and cleanup. I have my buckets for water in the front of the stall, they have snaps and I put eye bolts in to hang them from. I also bought large plastic corner hay feeders, which I mounted in the back corner, opposite the grain corner. ( I have front sliders and back dutch doors directly opposite one another).

For my stalls, I bought Priefert Modular pieces from my big "TSC" type farm store. Mr. CC and I installed them, which was quite easy. We were converting a metal pole shop into a barn, so we had to work with a concrete floor, so no new posts could be installed easily ( the stalls themselves were where there was no concrete).
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Running it off the house is cheaper when it comes to monthly billing - it's all the same. But each separate entity has, around here anyway, a minimally billable amount, meaning even if you use nothing, you'll still pay, for example, $10/month.

Another vote for running it from same service as the house. Where I am we ran a separate line to the barn and because we aren't allowed 2 services from same address unless 2nd one is business (and I was running a breeding business), we have to pay commercial rates for the barn and they are almost 2x more than residential rates.

I got my stall kits from Country Mfg on line.

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

We ran a separate line because we didn't know any better, it seemed like the logical thing to do, and of course our service provider didn't discourage it LOL But it's still residential here, so at least we're ok on that. But still, $17 for 1-2 hours of a radio, and lights in the tackroom for *maybe* 30 minutes, a day? The nice thing, if you can say that, is I can have a fan running for a couple of hours a day, use the big overhead lights in the barn at night, and never see an increase because it still falls within the minimum charge LOL

We haven't decided on the electric yet. It's a much closer run from the pole on the street to the barn than running from the house. I'm OK with it being separate b/c hubby will be building his own workshop (with his own power source) probably next year.... we each pay for our own hobby! But we'll have to see if there's an issue with mult lines.

This is so exciting. I was reluctant to begin the project b/c it seemed so overwhelming but so far so good. Just have to watch the costs. I am the financier and GC, hubby and a friend are the builders. Its amazing sometimes the difference in price between businesses when getting materials! You really have to ask the right questions and keep track.

Keep those suggestions coming!

Just wanted to add my barn electric was run from the house.

We don't have any restrictions or assessments to have a second meter, so there is a separate meter on hubby's workshop. I can certainly tell when he's been busy with the welder

Also, not sure what you want to do about mercury lights in your barn area but:

We have two. One is attached to the barn over the man door that I can see from the house.

The other is on the transformer pole on the other side of the barn and our electric company maintains it for $6/month.

It is worth $6/month to us because it lights up that very dark side the yard nicely and we don't have to climb the pole to replace it if it goes belly up.

The light attached to the barn has been attacked by lightening flashes twice in seven years and that means Mr. WTW had to climb the extension ladder to put a new one up both times. We're in our early 60's and that's really not that much fun anymore - lol lol

The barn was never hit but somehow the lightening flash was so strong it took out the light -----------along with DirecTV, HughesNet and the computer got it on the second hit

Anyway, if your power company offers mercury lights that they maintenance for a nominal monthly fee that might be something else to consider

Check out A&B lumber in Pembroke, NH.
    They also deliver. They do a lot of work in Mass and NH, but if you buy enough, they would probably deliver.
    Or you could come pick up.
    As an example...4x8 solid wood doors are around 100. They have great barn windows, grills, flat iron, corner iron, etc, etc. I think prices are very reasonable.
    they also sell dutch doors, doors with upper half grills.

Its worth a trip to see what they have. Pembroke is just outside concord, nh.
    Fall foliage is around the corner, might be a fun trip.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I think it was County who first mentioned that Hi-Qual has better made products than Priefert. I have seen both at our area stores and have to agree that Hi-Qual items are made well. Don't know who sells them in your area, you would have to check with suppliers or ask the manufacturer.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

My best advice is to SHOP LOCAL, and if you can't do that, look for bargains on shipping. It kills me to pay shipping for big items--the costs are gigantic, and can often rival the price of the products themselves.

I got all my stall hardware from a company that's an hour away, and made a couple of trips over the course of a year to get it all. Bought almost everything else locally, or waited for free shipping offers.
    Click here before you buy.

We actually had our electric run from the pole. It was trenched and ran for free from the electric company! It would have cost us $$$ to have someone do it. We obviously had to have someone wire it into the barn etc. Our barn is billed separately but I want to say it's less than $15 a month for 2 fans running 24/7, a giant dusk to dawn, a powerful electric fence charger, and random lights on here and there in the morning and night.

As far as stalls, I really recommend building them. I LOVE our stalls. We used 2x8's and stained/varnished them. We've never built stalls before and it was actually easy. I personally think they're gorgeous. If I needed to add grills I would have purchased them from Country Manufacturing. My horses are separated by the feed area though so it wasn't necessary. Our vet commented that they looked like they could hold a buffalo. We used to have the portable ones from tsc and when a horse would rub against them they'd seem so flimsy and creaky. You could literally see the metal flex. We had some of the metal pieces break off where they were bolted to the wall.

We built our own stalls and used 4' no climb gates for stall doors.

While a bunch came from TSC or our local Farm/Fleet store, we also scoured Craigslist and our local horse message board for people having barn sales.

One local person was relocating, and piecing out their barn. We bought three 10' gates with wheels for $30 each, corner feeders for $4 each, mounted saddle racks and blanket bars for $5 each, and so on. I was almost able to completely outfit our stalls and pastures at one place for very little money. A little powerwashing once home and everything was as good as new.

Our other great buy was a counter top remnant from Lowes...8' section with a wood-grain laminate top for $20. Built a frame for it to sit on out of 2x4s, and we have a great workspace in our tack room. The frame is sized so I can keep totes and smartpak drawers under it and it's all very neat.

Are you looking for economical options, or attractive ones?