The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Stepping in a hole" behind, what causes it?

While it doesn't happen every ride, my horse has a tendency to take a funny step usually at a walk though sometimes at the canter (O_o) where it feels like he's stepped in a hole with one of his hind legs. His back end seems to drop out from underneath me and he'll raise his head to counter balance and the next step will be normal. During an hour long ride, it might happen 5 or 6 times or not at all.

I don't think he's ever done it at the trot. He doesn't seem at all bothered by it happening. He's fitter now than he's been since I've owned him (five years) and I haven't noticed its occurrence increasing or decreasing.

Any ideas on what it could be? And how to make it stop? It's pretty disconcerting!

Loose stifle

Boooo!

Not the end of the world

Lots of threads

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Loose stifle
    I have to agree with this one, classic symptom from one who has been there.

Great, after reading the threads it seems like his stifle (probably more the right one than the left) is too tight. I think? Blergh.

There's many terms for it, vets will describe it as IUFP, intermittent upward fixation of the patella, or delayed patellar release.

Here's an article (symptoms, treatments etc) :
    http://www.equestmagazine.com/v4s2/article03-02-c3.php

Mine had the same issue. Was much worse if he wasn't ridden regularly (4-5 times a week). IM injections of glucosamine helped alot.

Thanks for the article link, Lieslot, very helpful.

He could also be knuckling over not related to the stifle, couldn't he?

Like breakover set too far back?

My senior gelding does this....so what does one do to fix a stifle problem????? Any other options other than 700.00 injections? This boy is semi retired, not working super hard.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    My senior gelding does this....so what does one do to fix a stifle problem????? Any other options other than 700.00 injections? This boy is semi retired, not working super hard.
    It *may* not be a stifle problem.

Stifle....

If it's just loose - lotsa hill work and cavaletti.

Does arthritis come into it at all?
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

I hate to keep pressing this but how can everyone be so sure it is stifle without even seeing the horse?

It does SOUND like stifle but it seems a little odd to give a diagnosis without seeing the horse?

As I asked, COULD it be from a breakover set wrong? I bet it could.

This is classic loose stifle. They feel like they collapse out from under you for a stride, then catch themselves and go on fine.

Fitting up improves this a lot. Walking up and down hills, work in deep footing. Sometimes estrogen injections make a world of difference.

I have a call into my vet and we have been playing phone tag. If I do the estrogen injections would this be a life long thing? Also would it affect his personality? He has enough Appitude

I'm interested in the blistering and the ligament splitting as well.

I wish work was all it took but we've been working the hills and cavelletti a lot and it just doesn't seem to be getting better though it hasn't been getting any worse either.

The horse here they did Estrogen injections on, I believe it was about 4-6? That fixed him, totally. He is no longer here, so I don't know if the problem ever returned. He was here for about a year after the injections though.

No behavior changes.

How do the estrogen injections work to cure the problem? I mean, how do they help the body, what is the process? Obviously it is too late tonight because I can't even spit out a proper question!

I have to agree that it's a likely loose stifle as I've also had this happen with more than one horse. Although you say that the horse is fitter than ever the looseness can happen from an injury, possibly when the leg was overextended in some direction maybe from a slip on wet/slick ground. Can happen while turned out. It can be a very frustrating issue and the stifle needs to tighten up, means very controlled work, no circling, no extended gaits, no jumping, no galloping, no extended trot, use collected gaits. It can hard to "see" for a vet unless it's quite bad and happening frequently.

chicamuxen