The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Canadian Showjumping team named

"The OEF would like to congratulate Yann Candele, Eric Lamaze, Jonathon Millar, and John Pearce on being named the Canadian Show Jumping Team for the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games. Good luck and we know you will make Ontario & Canada proud!"

Well that's surprising. I can only assume we have some soundness issues with Ole and In Style...

Love Contino but is he ready for this? Sure wish if Beth had to lose the ride on Top Gun that Ironhorse would have done the patriotic thing and given the ride to a Canadian.

Anyone else concerned with the soundness of both Hickstead and Eric after The Masters??

I wish them all the best and am excited to see Jonathan and Yann on the team but I am a bit worried about our chances.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Totally agree with you on all points. Actually, I am amazed that any horse would be sound after the number of fences Hickstead has jumped in the last 12 months.

I guess the team is in a building phase with no Ole, In Style or Special Ed. Was Redefin in the running at all?

It is a shame about Top Gun.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Equine Canada could only select the team from among the Long List Submitted in June, namely:
    John Anderson: Terrific
    Yann Candele: Pitereusa
    Mac Cone: Ole
    Jill Henselwood: Special Ed/Bottom Line
    Eric Lamaze: Hickstead/Ronaldo
    Ian Millar: In Style/Star Power
    Jonathon Millar: Contino 14
    John Pearce: Son of a Gun/Chianto
    Beth Underhill: Top Gun
    Keean White: Celena Z/Bethsabee

Based on what I know:
    Ole and In Style have been fighting lameness issues on-and-off since the Olympics.
    Special Ed is now jumping again but still not up to WEG level.
    Redefin is no longer Ian's ride (I believe I have seen Yann in the irons).
    Top Gun is with Kent Farrington.

In the most recent WBFSH Rankings (include competitions from 01/10/2009 to 31/07/2010):
    Hickstead is ranked 2nd
    Pitereusa is ranked 87th
    Chianto is ranked 94th
    Contino 14 is ranked 537th
    Bottom Line is ranked 110th

I think the selection committee did what they could with the horses and riders made available to them... Wishing everyone great success when the time comes!!
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by mikali View Post
    Equine Canada could only select the team from among the Long List Submitted in June, namely:
    John Anderson: Terrific
    Yann Candele: Pitereusa
    Mac Cone: Ole
    Jill Henselwood: Special Ed/Bottom Line
    Eric Lamaze: Hickstead/Ronaldo
    Ian Millar: In Style/Star Power
    Jonathon Millar: Contino 14
    John Pearce: Son of a Gun/Chianto
    Beth Underhill: Top Gun
    Keean White: Celena Z/Bethsabee

Based on what I know:
    Ole and In Style have been fighting lameness issues on-and-off since the Olympics.
    Special Ed is now jumping again but still not up to WEG level.
    Redefin is no longer Ian's ride (I believe I have seen Yann in the irons).
    Top Gun is with Kent Farrington.

In the most recent WBFSH Rankings (include competitions from 01/10/2009 to 31/07/2010):
    Hickstead is ranked 2nd
    Pitereusa is ranked 87th
    Chianto is ranked 94th
    Contino 14 is ranked 537th
    Bottom Line is ranked 110th

I think the selection committee did what they could with the horses and riders made available to them... Wishing everyone great success when the time comes!!
    Special Ed is pretty old as well IIRC. He's around 16....I doubt he'll be back up to the WEG level again.

It's too bad about Top Gun.

I was a bit surprised to see Jonathan on the list and not Jill, also what happened to Keean?

I am VERY excited for the possibility to see someone else in the irons of Hickstead though, Eric please make final four! I'm curious to see what might happen if he did, he looks very difficult to ride but Eric hides it very well and they have such a great partnership...

Quote Originally Posted by KateD View Post
    I was a bit surprised to see Jonathan on the list and not Jill, also what happened to Keean?

I am VERY excited for the possibility to see someone else in the irons of Hickstead though, Eric please make final four! I'm curious to see what might happen if he did, he looks very difficult to ride but Eric hides it very well and they have such a great partnership...
    Jill is the traveling alternate. ETA: with Bottom Line.

I would love to see someone else ride Hickstead! I kind of suspect he might not go as well for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    Anyone else concerned with the soundness of both Hickstead and Eric after The Masters??

I wish them all the best and am excited to see Jonathan and Yann on the team but I am a bit worried about our chances.
    What do you mean about the soundness of Hickstead? Was there any evidence that he was unsound? I cannot imagine that Eric would have anything but the best conditioning and training program on him, planning to peak at the WEG, I'd imagine, as it was almost a given he'd be on the team.

I think the committee did the best they could given that most of the top Canadian riders seem to be having horse power issues lately.

When did Top Gun go to Kent? Was he sold?

I saw that horse go a few times in Florida- he is adorable!

I don't think anything is wrong with Hickstead, I just think it is difficult for Eric to ride up to his usual standards with his ankle injured. Hopefully it heals before WEG. I understand he is taking a break from riding until then.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    When did Top Gun go to Kent? Was he sold?

I saw that horse go a few times in Florida- he is adorable!
    According to the results of the Pfizer Million dollar GP, he is still owned by Iron Horse Farm, just Kent has the ride now..

According to the results of the Pfizer Million dollar GP, he is still owned by Iron Horse Farm, just Kent has the ride now..
    Huh. Interesting- thanks!

I am not 100% sure of all the details, but I believe that Keean seriously injured himself recently in Europe in a non-horse realted accident...
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

Interesting team for sure. Should be interesting to see how it all works out.

P.

With the exception of Ian Millar (whose horse/s, I understand, are not competing at the moment... there was some mention of it during the Nations Cup) who else is more qualified to be on that team than Eric Lamaze? Yeah, the leg thing sucks, but that horse can jump the CN Tower and Lamaze rides him incredibly well - even with the broken foot. Terrible timing on the foot... but I wouldn't put anyone else in Lamaze's place. Out of any of those riders he has a much better shot at making the top.

The rest? ...interesting.

Anyone know why Ian and/or his horses aren't competing right now?? I did notice that when looking through the Spruce results.

P.

Ian went on the Spain tour; Gijon was the week before Masters, and Barcelona is this week. Keanne, Jenna Thompson, and Eric are there as well - although Yann is over riding Eric's horses this week.

Quote Originally Posted by mikali View Post
    I am not 100% sure of all the details, but I believe that Keean seriously injured himself recently in Europe in a non-horse realted accident...
    Thanks. That's really too bad, I would have liked to have seen him and Celena selected..

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    Jill is the traveling alternate. ETA: with Bottom Line.

I would love to see someone else ride Hickstead! I kind of suspect he might not go as well for anyone else.

What do you mean about the soundness of Hickstead? Was there any evidence that he was unsound? I cannot imagine that Eric would have anything but the best conditioning and training program on him, planning to peak at the WEG, I'd imagine, as it was almost a given he'd be on the team.

I think the committee did the best they could given that most of the top Canadian riders seem to be having horse power issues lately.
    I mean that he was admittedly "ouchy" on the landing side as of The Masters and has been campaigned very heavily. Sorry to burst anyones bubble but WEG doesn't pay....directly. Get it? Don't get me wrong....of course that duo had to be on the team and I didn't expect him to have the summer off in anticipation of WEG. I just hope that he has enough gas in the tank and that all the travel and jumping a ton of fences doesn't start to show at this time.

I also think it would be very exciting to see others have to ride that horse.

My fantasy 4 as far as difficult rides go would be Hickstead, Shutterfly, Pavarotti and Russell. If only that were possible I think it would make for some seriously good entertainment!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    My fantasy 4 as far as difficult rides go would be Hickstead, Shutterfly, Pavarotti and Russell. If only that were possible I think it would make for some seriously good entertainment!
    I think that would qualify as the Extreme Equestrian Games.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I don't understand why Iron Horse - a Cndn farm - would take a horse away from an amazing Cndn rider, and give it to an American. Any idea on the gossip there?

Quote Originally Posted by dauntless View Post
    I don't understand why Iron Horse - a Cndn farm - would take a horse away from an amazing Cndn rider, and give it to an American. Any idea on the gossip there?
    No comment other than it was a seriously $hitty move.