The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xtreme Weather Gear-- help needed

Please weigh in on extreme weather gear. I am in the great white north and ride in the winter in an unheated indoor. Think zero to ten degrees. Last year I rode in my heavy farm coat and artic sport Muck Boots. I was warm enough, but I am thinking about some real riding boots and breeches.
    I NEED to be warm, but do I have to have Mtn Horse (so expensive!). What about the Dover brand? I just got the catalogue today, and I am tempted to try something. I don't want to buy something that's warm enough for Tennessee but not for here. I always wear long underwear, what about breeches?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't live in extreme anything (well, maybe extreme sweating), but I can tell you that Mtn Horse stuff is very nice and DURABLE. I bought some insulated paddock boots this year (bit the bullet, I have bad circulation and I get cold easy) and they are worth every penny (and I am very poor on a small salary and TIGHT budget so I don't take purchases lightly).

That said, I have some summer wicky breeches that are the Dover brand and I've been very happy with them, I would buy other stuff from them, but if I was super serious about durable cold weather gear, I would go to the Mtn Horse or see below.

Also look into outdoor gear for other parts of your body. It is generally more durable and better technical fabrics than riding/farm stuff. I always get coats, shirts, fleeces from places like Sierra Trading Post, LL Bean (lasts FOREVER), and Campmor, good sales, and good warm stuff (I may not live in extreme environments but I have traveled to and worked in them!). Look for clothes made for mountain climbing and skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantknoll View Post
    I don't want to buy something that's warm enough for Tennessee but not for here. I always wear long underwear, what about breeches?
    I think the key to really cold weather is your base layer. What weight long underwear do you wear? I have a pair of patigonia "expedition weight" that if I wear above 20° and do anything physical I roast in. Skied in it in January in less than 10° and it was great...

Boink polarfleece lined breeches. They last forever, and they are warmer than anything else that I have found.

www.boinkcatalog.com.

For everything else, good technical outdoor clothing from LL Bean or the like.

And Smartwool for the feet. I have lined Ariat paddocks.

FWIW, I ride outside all winter, in snow etc.

Default thanks for input, what about boots

Thanks for the input! Wildlifer- I thought I was the only person who knew about Sierra Trading Post. It's terrific. It's just that it's almost my birthday and I was looking at the new Dover catalogue and thinking about winter.

IFG-- I LOVE smartwool. Even bought some on sale for the kids. They are pretty much all I wear in winter. I had not heard of boink (?). I will look them up

re: base layer. I wear silk b/c of the weight. They seem to do well but they are not as durable as I like. I'll look into the patagonia.

SubK What do think about boots? I would still wear my artic sports to catch and tack up b/c of snow. But I think I would like something less bulky and heavy for actual riding

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantknoll View Post
    SubK What do think about boots? I would still wear my artic sports to catch and tack up b/c of snow. But I think I would like something less bulky and heavy for actual riding
    I have a pair of thinsulate lined Ariat paddock boots that I've had for years. When they are paired with a pair of SmartWools they are too hot for any but the very coldest of the weather we have around here, but I don't ride anymore when it's that cold! : They are clunkier than a regular paddock boot, but would sure beat some snow kickers!

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    I have a pair of thinsulate lined Ariat paddock boots that I've had for years. When they are paired with a pair of SmartWools they are too hot for any but the very coldest of the weather we have around here, but I don't ride anymore when it's that cold! : They are clunkier than a regular paddock boot, but would sure beat some snow kickers!
    These are the boots that I have. But here in New England, they are perfect with Smartwools. FWIW, with the Boinks, I don't need the silk long johns.

We are absolutely dependent on those chemical heater packs that you can stick to your socks. They are warm enough that unless it's really cold I can wear my regular riding boots . And if it's THAT cold the arena is usually frozen and we don't ride anyway. The second must have piece of winter riding gear are the polarfleece stretch winter riding breeches. Since I have not been able to find them for men I wear womens and it works out pretty well, and they are very warm.

I have poor circulation to my feet, so I wear Smartwool expedition weight socks + the chemical heater pads + ariat thinsulate lined paddock boots. Also patagonia capilene (thin) shirt + patagonia expedition weight top (excellent wicking & warm) + capilene long johns under my britches (or polar fleece britches, but I find them a bit warm). Barn coat on top of that when not riding.
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

I agree with other posters to go with non-horse brands. I like REI and EMS, but that may be because I fit perfectly in men's small which seems to be on clearance a lot!

For my top layers I tend to wear regular hiking gear using a lot of layering. I think that my bottom layers are the only ones that cater to riding:

If I'm trail riding, I wear those insulated thick riding pants that look like ski pants with jeans or something under them. Got them on super-sale from smartpak. I think they are about $60 or $80 not on sale and they went down to about $25 on sale.

For non-intensive workouts in the indoor I wear fleece lined running tights under a pair of breeches. Very warm and comfortable, but not too hot.

For lessons in the indoor even when it is ridiculously cold I just wear breeches w/out longjohns b/c I get too hot.

I tend to wear my ski-style riding pants on top of my breeches and take them off just before I get on the horse.

I also have the Ariat winter boots but I don't love them. They rub my heels a little.

Just to add, most of the outdoor outfitters, Altrec, rei, campmor, STP, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, and Backcountry have clearance areas. If you are not particular on color (and come on, you will be in the barn), you can score some great stuff. I got an amazing softshell at the end of the season from Eddie Bauer for about 20% of the original price.
    Last edited by IFG; Sep. 15, 2010 at 09:11 AM.

Look for cross country skiing tights and tops, they are designed to be warm but breathable, Craft brand are great, watch for them on sale at Sierra Trading or on line, ditto winter cycling tops, Ariat lined winter boots are very toasty, also I wear a Smartwool helmet liner or headband, on really cold days a neck gaiter!

Shop at Cabela's, old Navy, foot locker, etc. not horse stores for everything except the breeches. Polar fleece by Boink quite good, but warmest is Irideon. I layer a wicking bra, fleece camisole, long sleeved polypro, long sleeve fleece, thermatex vest, fleece zip hoodie, fleece vest on top. Fleece breeches, north face gloves with hand warmers, fleece socks, ariat winter boots in toe warmers and do just fine despite being the biggest cold weenie ever
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

if it is really cold, should one be riding?

I remember riding in the cold in Rochester NY in the winter but now I wonder what it was doing to my horse's lungs.

just a thought.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Default xtreme weather gear

When I was in NE I used to hate riding in bulky boots so would get tall boots that were 1/2 size bigger wear warmer thick socks buy a pair of real heavy thick mens large wool socks and a pair of the mens large rubbers that you put over your riding boots, so boots- wool socks over boots- then rubbers. Kept my feet very warm even galloping at Cranes beach in 20 degrees! I never want to see 20 degrees or less again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    if it is really cold, should one be riding?

I remember riding in the cold in Rochester NY in the winter but now I wonder what it was doing to my horse's lungs.

just a thought.
    Horses are very comfortable in cold temperatures are are made for colder weather. That is why they have so little flesh on their legs/ears/etc. -- they evolved not to be prone to frostbite. The air heats up in that long passage from nostril to lungs. THEY are fine, we are the cold ones.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Shop at Cabela's, old Navy, foot locker, etc. not horse stores for everything except the breeches. Polar fleece by Boink quite good, but warmest is Irideon. I layer a wicking bra, fleece camisole, long sleeved polypro, long sleeve fleece, thermatex vest, fleece zip hoodie, fleece vest on top. Fleece breeches, north face gloves with hand warmers, fleece socks, ariat winter boots in toe warmers and do just fine despite being the biggest cold weenie ever
    Scubed,

Which Iridions do you like? Always willing to try something new. One of my pairs of Boinks (over 10 years old) is about to die.

I will say that I tried a pair of Kerrits last year, and I passed them to my daughter as they weren't warm enough for me.

OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I'm in Canada and our indoor is unheated. I love the Irideon winter breeches, too. My regular tall boots have a bit of insulating material in them, so I just put on Smartwool socks and I'm good to go. A long-sleeved top made of wicking material (I have a couple of Patagonia long-underwear tops that are nice and I love the new Ariat ones as well) and either a vest and/or a thin synthetic down jacket. For those really cold days or if I'm going on a winter trail ride, I'll add a fleece helmet cover. Winter trail rides are so much fun!

Default Thank you again for all the replies and the links

okay, so I am going to look into the boinks and the irideons-- thanks for those. Also, thanks for the info on the kerrits. I get MAD when I buy bad stuff because it's such a waste. But I don't have a lot of people around to ask, so I depend on you COTH ers. I love the idea about bigger tall boots and smartwools. I am not sure they will be warm enough, but I don't love the Ariats. Is there any reason not to ride in my artic sport chore boots? I will have to keep thinking about that.