The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Smarty Jones moving?

There's a post on the WEG forum that says this fall is the last chance to see Smarty in Kentucky at Three Chimneys.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Oh ! Darn it ! I should have gone to see Smarty Jones when I was in Kentucky in August ~ where is he going ?
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Oh ! Darn it ! I should have gone to see Smarty Jones when I was in Kentucky in August ~ where is he going ?
    It's undetermined exactly where but almost certainly to Pennsylvania. The Chapman family is behind the effort which seemingly is coinciding with a bit of a push to move him out and make room for others.

Syndicated for tens of millions, original stud fee at $100k, overhyped and overpriced offspring at the sales and now at stud for $10k. His best runner remains running off in Japan. The family said that while they've had offers they won't send him there.

I'm sure he'll get some interest in PA at say $3,500.

I'm sure he'll be well taken care of, and have a wonderful home as long as the Chapman's are involved. After seeing quite a few of his babies at the sales, I was really hoping he'd make it. The ones I've seen were very attractive, and seemed good tempered.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Default Thank You ~ Glimmerglass ~

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    It's undetermined exactly where but almost certainly to Pennsylvania. The Chapman family is behind the effort which seemingly is coinciding with a bit of a push to move him out and make room for others.

Syndicated for tens of millions, original stud fee at $100k, overhyped and overpriced offspring at the sales and now at stud for $10k. His best runner remains running off in Japan. The family said that while they've had offers they won't send him there.

I'm sure he'll get some interest in PA at say $3,500.
    Thank You ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I did not like Smarty as a stallion prospect and thought he was insanely over priced when he retired to stud. He was just a shrimpy little thing with a massive heart and desire to win. That doesn't usually get passed on through the genes. For $3500 or so it might be worth taking a shot if you have a mare that has some heart herself.

I did see him but he was certainly not the reason I trekked to Three Chimneys. I was there to see War Chant and Sky Mesa, two of my favorites. I feel terrible that I can't remember the name of the woman who took us around, she was the stallion manager at the time and Michael Blowen arranged for a viewing for us with Sky Mesa because at that time he was quite new there and we had only a few minutes to spend at the barn. There was a tour going on and everyone was packed in front of Smarty's stall. Then, after the tour moved on, the manager took us to Smarty's stall anyway because I guess she couldn't believe that we were not all gaga over him. He was cute and of course very beautiful, what horse isn't? I hope he lives a long and wonderful life. He certainly deserves it.
    Rum Car 2/15/72-1/13/05
    Rest in peace, beautiful boy

Quote Originally Posted by mighty mite View Post
    I feel terrible that I can't remember the name of the woman who took us around, she was the stallion manager at the time
    Sandy's the stallion manager.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Las Olas View Post
    Sandy's the stallion manager.

Thank you! It's been a few years since that visit.
    Rum Car 2/15/72-1/13/05
    Rest in peace, beautiful boy

Yes, I think it's true that he's moving to PA, in fact right over the hill from our farm. Our farrier does work at that farm & told us Smarty Jones is moving there & he'll be his farrier.

I am only surprised it didn't happen sooner. PA is, honestly, where he should have started out as a stallion, with a strong local fan base and a growing racing economy.

As terrible as it sounds, as I was a big fan of Real Quiet, this might be an opportune time to take the Fish's place.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.