The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Michael Martinez went down at GGF and is probably paralyzed - UPDATE and FUND INFO

Michael Martinez is a fantastic jockey at GGF. We've ridden together in the mornings and he's taken our horses to victory in the afternoons. He actually rode my horse in one race a few months ago. His fiance, Charlotte, is due to have their baby this week. He's quite possibly one of the nicest guys you'll meet out there.

Yesterday, he went down during a race. The way I understand it, they clipped heels in the turn. His horse went down. He severed his spinal cord somewhere between T5-T7. All three of those vertebra are crushed, T5 T6 and T7. He was also dealing with bleeding and pressure in his brain as well as blood in his lungs. Doctors operated all night last night to try to clear bone debris out of the spinal column and try to stablilize it in some way. He is getting better, but from what I understand, still is not awake. He does not know yet the severity of his injuries and we're still praying all of his mental function is in tact. His agent, Dennis, is saying he will not be able to walk again and will be paralyzed from the mid-chest area down. It's one of those things that you know can happen, but just don't think ever will. Just a reminder of the risks these guys take and we all take every time we swing a leg over a racehorse and head to the track.

Please, please say prayers and jingles to his family during this trying time. There are a lot of people from the track supporting them right now, but this is going to be a long road for them. I haven't heard any information about donations, but as soon as I do, I will post for those who want to donate. I will also keep you all up to date on what the soon to be mama and baby's needs are and if there is any way we can help.

Most up to date story from SF Chronicle:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SPN41FDBRU.DTL

Here is the story from BloodHorse:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...1-hour-surgery
    Last edited by GallopGirl; Sep. 19, 2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Adding an updated link

prayers and jingles sent their way. Please keep us updated.

Praying for a miracle. Work your magic.

Jingles from WA!!!!
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

So tragic. Jingles and prayers to him, his family and his friends.

Prayers from NY!

Gallop Girl, if you hear of anything that has been organized like a fund, please post the details. He's a wonderful guy and this is just tragic.

Jingles from Texas. Thankfully the filly seems to be okay.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quote Originally Posted by leilatigress View Post
    Jingles from Texas. Thankfully the filly seems to be okay.
    Don't take this the wrong way but some of us know Michael personally and that last comment seemed inappropriate in light of what happened to him.

Thoughtsand prayers and huge hugs for Michael and his family ~ Jingles & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by Pronzini View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way but some of us know Michael personally and that last comment seemed inappropriate in light of what happened to him.

And some people here might know the filly too. I think what was meant, was that as tragic as it is, at least the filly seems ok, and didn't suffer any apparent injuries, which would have made it more tragic than it already is.

Jingles to Michael and his family.

Default Thoughts & Prayers

Jingles & Prayers to Michael & his family

Adding jingles and prayers from KY for Michael and his family.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Gallop Girl, if you hear of anything that has been organized like a fund, please post the details. He's a wonderful guy and this is just tragic.
    Ditto this.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

My thoughts are with him & his family. I'm sending all the good energy I've got.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Default This is how I meant it

Quote Originally Posted by Timex View Post
    And some people here might know the filly too. I think what was meant, was that as tragic as it is, at least the filly seems ok, and didn't suffer any apparent injuries, which would have made it more tragic than it already is.

Jingles to Michael and his family.
    I am thankful the filly is okay and I am jingling like crazy for Michael and his family.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quite a horrific amount of damage when you read about the impact to his spine - the mere fact he is still alive is truly amazing. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

His cousin, Alex Solis, took himself off his mounts and flew from Kentucky to California to be there as soon as he got the news.

One report from yesterday/today indicated an upgrade in his condition to "critical but stable" ... one small bit of good news.

Many, many prayers and hopeful thoughts sent to him from Mass.
    DAILY THOUGHT:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

many mighty jingles from florida
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

I guarantee you have more direct access to that information if you want it Pronzini.
    Just saying
    That said this is truly a tragedy in so many ways.