The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Dover Northwind Turnouts.....Opinions?

I need to start looking into getting some new blankets for my new horse, and the Dover Northwinds have always caught my eye.

Does anybody here have them, and want to share their opinions? Good, bad? Worth the little bit extra over the regular Rider International Supreme?

I'm debating between the Northwinds, the Rider International Supreme, and the Smartpak Deluxe Turnout...any opinions on any of those is appreciated as well!

I like Weatherbeeta, but hate Rambo/Rhino. But the Dover & Smartpak blankets are within my budget.

TIA!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

We have multiple NorthWinds and LOVE them!!!!! They hold up wonderfully. They also wash well.

Default With six horses, I've tried plenty of blankets.

I love my Northwind! I have one on it's 4th year and it looks pretty much new, plus two others that are maybe 2 and 3 years old, both look great.. There's also a 2 year warranty on them, which is always a plus. I have some of the Riders Supreme blankets, they're good too, but I think the Northwinds are worth the extra $$.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

I had one that I used on a big gelding I was leasing- I think I used it three winters, and it held up nicely.

Although I did have to re-waterproof it every year, that's hardly the end of the world. Mugsy was not easy on clothes, but he never managed to kill the Northwind.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I got one for my then 3 y.o. who is now 11. I think it was called something else back then, but the photo looks the same. He protested by removing the binding from a portion of the front, but I sewed it back on with my SpeedyStitcher and sprayed some sort of no-chew stuff on it and he got the message. That year. I think I had to repeat the exercise one or two times after that. Otherwise, it's held up great. I use it as an in-stall blanket rather than a turnout so no re-waterproofing issues and likely less wear. I have used it less and less over the years for the simple reason that it's kind of too-much blanket for this particular horse in our climate. So, again, it isn't as if it's been used for long winters for 8 years. But I would definitely buy another one.

I have one of the Riders turnout sheets (has mesh and some sort of slippery lining, but no fill) and he managed to tear the lining out of that with less use than the Northwind.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I got one for a TB I had and it fit him wonderfully. They hold up really well too. I do hate leg straps though!

I then got one for my ISH, and I couldn't even get the 84" to fit him- for the record he is probably 17.3ish, and probably pushing 1300. He is not drafty, just big and he wore it for about 5 minutes till I just took the darn thing off, cause it looked like a crooked miniskirt, and half his butt was hanging out.

I eventually got him a midweight Smartpak turnout, 1200 denier and am super happy with the way it fits him. Has held up for one winter with absolutely no problems with it. It does also have leg straps. Guess I have gotten spoiled beween the Rambos-Rhinos-Amigos that don't have them.

The first two I bought several years ago are awesome. Well made and still going strong.

the one I bought last year is not anywhere near the same quality. I won't buy another one. Same experience with the Riders' Supreme. I had one for Trav that lasted years and still looked great, but had to send back the one I bought last year. The lining was all twisted up and it tore on the first wearing.

So sad... those started out as great blankets, but obviously manufacturing standards on them have changed.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the replies! I think I may go ahead and order the Turnout sheet, and see how that holds up before ordering the blankets.

He'll be out with only 1 other horse once he comes home, but he's currently out with a bunch of ponies and another Thoroughbred...so it will be the ultimate test!

If anybody else has one they ordered last year, I'd love to hear other opinions as well. Did they not compare to the older Northwinds for you, either? That's a shame about changes to manufacturing....sounds like the same thing happened to Schneider's from the threads I've read here (I loved my old Schneider's blankets I had for my old horse, they look brand new after 3 seasons...but I don't think they will fit my new guy).

Thanks again!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010

I was going to add that I've got a Northwind Midweight Turnout for Gus and it is holding up beautifully. I'm the second owner (purchased used through Ebay) and it's been going strong for at least 5 winters. With the exception of a few minor tears (easily fixed myself) it's doing great. I do rewaterproof all my blankets yearly though, just as a precaution, so I couldn't tell you how long the original waterproofing lasts.

Excellent blanket though IMO. I think I'll switch to the Smartpak ones though once I need to start replacing blankets... they look to be nearly identical and Smartpak's customer service is excellent (as are prices, for the most part).
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I bought a Northwind sheet in fall 2008 and it's held up wonderfully. Love the reflective piping and the snaps at the chest instead of buckles.

It's been professionally cleaned at the end of each season and comes back looking brand spanking new. I've been quite pleased with it.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Great blankets! They hold up very well and Dover honors the 2-year warranty, no questions asked. That makes them worth the extra money.

I have 2 blankets and a sheet, have had 1 blanket for... oh I forget, 5 years? and the other blanket and sheet for 3ish. They all get washed Very Often as my horse loves to get them as dirty as possible lol. Hold up great, even to horsey roughhousing with lots of teeth action... lol

Awesome, so far, sounds like it's worth the little bit extra! Will definitely be ordering him a sheet soon, and if all holds up, a couple of blankets for winter!

Thanks everyone!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010