The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default which USEA dressage judges do you like?

As our organization is planning for the upcoming events for next year, we discuss judges. Everyone has their favorites..or ones they think are totally nuts

Any way, do you all have any USEA dressage judges up to "R" that you like or don't like to ride a test for or work with?

As a competitor, if all things are equal on making a decision on a show, I'll see who is judging to make a decision..so just curious.

Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post.

Our decisions won't be based on COTH..but maybe a new name or two may pop up that we may want to look into!
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

Ann Forer. Cindy Canace. Trying to think of some others but it's been a while since I actually got to compete...

edited to add: These are judges I do like.
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

I do not have names of specific judges that I like or do not like.

What I like in a judge is one who judges every horse, no matter what breed, based on how it performs that day.

I scribed for the late Major Bela Buttykay back in the late '80's. A big name rider just could not understand how a lowly QH had beaten her fancy imported warmblood. It was because the QH had put in a better test. Maybe he did not move like her warmblood, but he did a better test. When the BNR came up to ask why her horse had not won, Major Buttykay told her the truth. God bless him!

We need judges who will judge the test that is ridden that day, no matter the breed of the horse.

I hope that you will recieve many positive responses.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Anna S. I am not going to EVEN attempt that one...but she is awesome and fair.

About judging....try to get those who have a history of fair judging. Don't get PH "C" from AEC's......she definetly has a Halo thing going.

Linda Zang was very on, and is super nice, but she is pretty big name, so don't know if she is even affordable, but I want to share something she said....

"These are people who are eventers, and they work very hard with these horses, they don't need a judge tearing them apart, but being realistic in what they are aiming for". She was kind most of the time when people had bad moves, and tried to find a positive to remark or comment on if most o fthe test was bad.

Other than that...oh and Eileen Bryan Pritchard...she is pretty cool as well. There are tons though....so i am sure you will do fine.

I will avoid a show that uses xyz (PM me for name). I know a few others who feel the same. IMHO, Her scoring is erratic and her comments are mystifying.

You asked, I answered. It is obviously just my opinion, but I will avoid riding in front of her if I can. She is the ONLY judge I feel that way about.

My list of "loves" is long as is my list of "likes".

I like judges whose comments I believe are dead accurate. I love judges who give me a comment that helps me improve for next time.

The "fine with me" judges are the ones that give me a score that I think is about right, and ranks me correctly relative to the other rides, but we disagree about a few movements or perhaps collectives or maybe the appropriate amount of "forward" or the frame at a particular level.
    Last edited by Gry2Yng; Sep. 13, 2010 at 08:39 PM.

Jane Hamlin, Wayne Quarles, and Gretchen Butts...not necessarily in that order. Extraordinarily knowledgeable about the training scale, understand what, as well as why the tests at each level ask what they do of a horse's training, and are are very professional as well as personable. No gossiping but are full of funny stories about eventing as well as the rest of life. JMHO
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I have a VERY strong preference for eventing judges that also hold a dressage license. That said, I really like Susan Graham White. I think that she judges fairly and accurately based on your TEST, not your name. There are several others, names just not coming to mind right now.

I 100% agree about Nena Denman...she had nothing constructive to say about a test I rode for her recently and was literally frowning/making a face as we came up centerline...this was not a test on a naughty horse mind you, we got a 30 a few weeks prior and she scored us almost 8 pts higher! You can bet I sent an event eval to that show!

I really like:
    Cindy DePorter
    Sheila Strickler
    Robert Stevenson
    Sue Smithson
    No Trouble
    2/2/05 - 7/29/13
    Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

Sue Smithson is very good. She does not feel it necessary to belittle or insult people and is not afraid to use the entire scale of scores.

I scribed for Wayne Quarles once and thought he was terrific.

Have the greatest respect for and appreciate the opportunity to ride in front of:

Gretchen Butts
    Marilyn Payne
    Wayne Quarles
    Jim Graham

And many others...

I scribed for Wayne Quarles once and thought he was terrific.
    And how was your hand afterward? Wayne gives LOTS of comments!! He is one of my favorites too (I've also scribed for him) as he always roots for the horse and seems quite unfazed by whomever is riding. He also gives great lessons

Ditto on using judges who also have regular dressage judging license, not just eventing dressage.

Jennifer

I like Eilleen Pritchard as well.

I don't mind a harsh judge if they are fair and judge equally. What I don't like is a "kindergarten teacher" judge that's nice just to be nice. At my pony's first event, we were lucky to stay inside the arena and mounted... we scored a 46. Under a more serious judge, we may not gotten a 56 on that test... because that score was so obviously a "well, bless your heart" score, I had trouble taking my good scores seriously on my other horse.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

thank you all! I will give this to the organizing committee..since we all have personal likes and dislikes..and when while we sometimes hear things, it's hard to guess if sour grapes or nutty judging. not saying it has happened at our show, but it's good to look a other judges.
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

IT REALLY depends.

I like some judges for a green rider
    I like other judges for a green horse
    Others for a more experienced horse.
    Also depends on whether I am in "competitive" mode, or in a "feedback" mode.
    Depends on whether I an riding a horse that tends to be tense, or one that tends to be lazy.

I second, in general, liking juges that also have their straight Dressage license. But there are exception both ways.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Wayne Quarles. Muffin Pantaze. They're two who always make sense to me--when I think the test sucks, the score sucks, and vice versa, and their comments are always to the point and useful.

These judges are licensed by USEF, not USEA.

Wayne Quarles has got to be the best, funnies, most awesome judge ever. I love him. I scribed for him on occasion, and I can tell you, that man doesn't see who is on the horse, but the horse themselves. He is fair, impartial, and if you ever get a chance to scribe for him, a ton of laughs. I absolutely love when we sign up for a show and he is one of the judges. Same with Eileen and Anna. Anna just is nice period.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    And how was your hand afterward? Wayne gives LOTS of comments!! He is one of my favorites too (I've also scribed for him) as he always roots for the horse and seems quite unfazed by whomever is riding. He also gives great lessons
    Yeah, lol, I did do quite a bit of writing that day. He was very fun, though, and I liked what he had to say. Very positive.