The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Terrier question- home alone

We've never had one dog before. We had three until this time last year when we had to let our 14 year old whippet go due to cancer. That left us with our two JRT's. Our dogs have always lived in the house with us.

This morning we had to meet the vet to let our oldest terrier go due to a massive stroke he suffered at breakfast. We had him 15 years and that's all I'll say about him or I'll cause more water damage to my keyboard from my leaky eyes.

Once I was back home I did have his half brother sniff him believing it would let him know his buddy was gone. The remaining terrier, Micro, is 14 years old and the picture of health.

Here is the question, the dogs always slept in a pile on a big dog pillow in the den. With one dog left, I sense the need to bring that pillow back to our bedroom or at least just outside our door. We're empty nesters so it's just the 2 humans, one terrier plus the 5 cats. Sometimes the oldest cats would sleep with the dogs siphoning heat off of them but it's not an everynight thing. So tonight, Micro will alone for the first time in his life.

Anyway, those of you with house dogs that have gone from several to one, did you change anything for the remaining dog?

Condolences! I didn't change anything for the remaining dog hoping routine would keep us going. It worked for us to keep the routine the same.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

so sorry for your loss, I really feel for you, my JRT is 11 and we realize that our time is limited...

I would bring the dog's bed into your room. I bet he will appreciate the company.