The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Calling all you de-worming experts!

I've read an awful lot of threads on here on the NWTs and general de-worming, and still am not quite sure where to start.

2 months ago, I bought a horse down here in Guatemala...I'm assuming his worming protocol has been about as good as the rest of his care, aka not so good. I dewormed him with a Central American Iver product, called Ivequin. The "vet" I bought it from told me to do half a tube then, and the other half in 3 weeks. Did that...probably shouldn't have. Looking at the tube, it carries 30g of Ivequin, which is apparently the dose for a 450 kg horse, maybe about 1000 lbs. So he got a dose for a about a 500 lb horse each time. My horse is small, but not small enough for this to be effective...I think.

The packaging on the Ivequin says that the 30g carries 180mg of Ivermectin, 40 mg of Vitamin B2, 500mg of Praziquantel and 30g of Excipientes c.s.p. (no clue what that translates as, sorry).

So the second dose was given about 5 weeks ago. I'm convinced he has the NTWs...he has absolutely atrocious rain rot, scratches, random flaky patches, and some odd nodule type things on his shoulders. One of my friends is bringing me back Equimax, which I have been planning on double dosing with as soon as I can get my hands on it. She is also bringing me a normal Ivermectin as well as a pyrantel paste.

But now I have a few concerns. Where/what do I start with? Do I start with an Equimax DD? Or with a double dose of Ivermectin? Or the pyrantel? Or with a PowerPac...if I can even come across that? What would be the best dewormer to sort of "gently" introduce a regimen? I REALLY don't want to cause a big die-off/back up and have him colic, as my vet accessibility is extremely limited. But I also don't want to help these buggers become resistant.

I think he does have a serious problem with worms/parasites because I've been trying to put weight on him since I got him 2 months ago, and if anything, he's probably lost weight. He goes out on grass all day, has dried cornstalks or fresh-cut grass in front of him at night, and gets about 2 lbs of corn in the morning, and about 2 lbs of bran mash with a little bit of corn mixed in at night. The options for vitamins/supplements/grain/hay are rather non-existent down here, but I'm trying to do my best by him and it's really troubling me that I can't get weight on him.

I just fashioned my own homemade weight measure tape, rather ghetto-tastic but should serve its purpose. Hopefully some of you experts (EqTrainer, you out there?) have made it this far down. I appreciate any input, thanks.

Default bump

I think this requires some expertise, so bumping

Thank you, much appreciated. At this point I'm leaning towards a PowerPac, but that's only if I can find one down here...the "specialty" equestrian store in the capital doesn't have it, just called and asked. If I can't get a PP, I'm thinking a single dose of Equimax. Thoughts?

Shamelessly getting this back on the front page. Anyone?

A Power Pack and a dose of Equimax are not at all the same thing. If you can't find a Panacur Power Pack or Safeguard Power Dose, then either use Quest, or use individual tubes of fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) and dose accordingly - it's just a whole lotta tubes LOL

If you KNOW there is a large load, or strongly suspect it, then if you're leery of causing a large, damaging die-off, then use a full dose of fenbendazole or pyrantel pamoate, then 4 weeks later use ivermectin or moxidectin.

But if it's just a high load, a full dose of ivermectin or Equimax is usually find.

Instead of whatever weight tape, use this formula to make sure, and then be generous by a couple hundred pounds to make absolutely sure you don't under-dose.

Thank you, JB.

Of course, a PP and Equimax aren't at all the same thing - I'm just trying to figure out what my best option is, especially considering what extreme limited access I have to anything other than Ivermectin.

Supposedly my mom wants to come visit me in a few weeks, would it be better to wait and have her bring me a PP or go ahead and give him the pyrantel pamoate now, followed 4 wks later by Iver?

Since I suspect he has a large load, I like that idea...but I wish I had a PP now. Would be SO much easier if I could do FECs and see where we're at, sigh.

His diet is VERY unbalanced; I know your choices are limited, but is there anyway you can order a proper vitamin/mineral supplement online? The bran has a lopsided calcium to phosphorus ratio and I would discontinue this immediately. The corn isn't that great either, but if that's your only calorie choice then you can work with it. There's nothing in there that is balancing out the rest of his vitamin/mineral needs. This is almost CERTAINLY contributing to the chronic skin problems, weight loss and other issues you are having.

Certainly keep pursuing the worming protocol, but you need to do your best to try and get the diet under control. What other feedstuffs do you have access to?

Thanks Meadow. My options as far as foodstuffs are SUPER limited, ugh. They have something they call "granillo" that you can feed horses, apparently it has a lot of flour?! It's super refined looking, almost a powder. I went with the bran instead for the time being.

What is really frustrating is that none of these 100 lb bags of anything have nutrients/ingredients listed. Apparently there is a guy who can get bags of what they call concentrado (they call dry cat and dog food concentrado as well). I'm assuming it might be the closest thing to a grain, I would hope. I'll check back with him tomorrow. He has no idea what it is made out of, but said he could get me a bag. Of course, only sold by the 100 lb bag. If I open it, I buy it...and a bag costs as much as 1/3 of my month's rent, but that's ok. I'll make it work.

My mom is trying to come visit me in a few weeks, so I can have her bring whatever. Any recommendations on a vit/min supp?

Is there anything I might be able to come across to help balance his diet other than a supp? I certainly am a fan of supplements, but I'm just curious how else to come across other vitamins and minerals.

I can get flax down here, veg oil...

ETA, this isn't a change in his diet, as far as I know. There really aren't other options here, especially for someone who doesn't know any different. Also, his scratches are totally gone, and his coat looks decent in general, no hair loss. He just has some rain rot and flaking skin on his rump. I moved him about 2 weeks ago because he had been standing out in the rain and mud all day because the girl I was paying wasn't taking him to pasture. I found a new place with a little roof shelter, and I do all the work myself. He already looks better.

Hi LulaBelle:

Glad you got some help on the worming issue. I was just going to suggest if your mom is coming, to get a whole boatload of things to help you . . . . I'd ask for a year's worth of wormers, maybe some banamine, etc. since you're out on your own.

Also, Meadow can correct me if I am wrong, but I think you could use alfalfa pellets to correct the ca/P ratio with the bran. I don't know if you can get them there, but they are easy, store great, and would increase your protein content. I have used them with bran and corn to put weight on a horse I bought in winter who was underweight .