The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

This sounds like a seriously bad idea. What do you think are the odds that pissing off your irrational neighbors will result in a rational response?

Your situation sucks, but fighting fire with fire might get you burned.
    I am sorry for what you are dealing with. I have few neighbors right now, but I am in a developing area, and I know that I face these issues in the future. I didn't buy the farm I intended to because of the unfortunately close location of a rental house that always had 5 or 6 cars in front of it and yelling coming from inside it. Fortunately, I hadn't signed on the dotted line yet.

I do have a pack of high percentage hybrid wolves that lives down the road and howls unimaginably loud at all hours after dark. It is a hair raising experience, but luckily I am not right next door but instead about a MILE down the road. Also, my neighbor has the screaming kids with trampoline, but thank goodness the horse pasture is between them and I. My horses have become immune to flying, screaming children. I guess it is a trainiing exercise for them? Again, they are far enouogh away for the noise to be annoying but not intolerable.

A guy here in Kentucky killed his wife for cooking his eggs wrong this weekend. He shot her with a shotgun and then took out 3 or 4 neighbors while he was at it before he killed himself. It took the state police ONE HOUR to get there. In these times, when people are stressed to the max, you don't want to become a target when your neighbor finally flips his gourd and starts taking out those screaming kids. You might want to invest in your own shotgun, though, to defend yourself (no kidding).

Good luck to you. I like the headphones/earphones idea.

The parental units sound like dinks. However, it also sounds to me like the people in a position to do anything about the situation regard you as the one with the problem, not the family:

You've complained to the police and gotten no sympathy.
    You've complained to the landlord and gotten no sympathy.
    You've complained to the family and gotten no sympathy.

I would be very very careful to avoid escalating this situation. I'd also refrain from pulling any stunts which set you up to look like a wacko. "As an example, one night I went down there and screamed at them, you f'ing aholts, shut up." Whoaa. Walking up to a party and screaming profanities is probably not the way to convince people that you are a reasonable person with a legitimate grievance. (Though it does feel good )

It might be worth putting up some cams if you are having problems with vandalism. It may indeed be your neighbor causing the trouble. Or it may be some disturbed person who coincidentally moved in with family in the neighborhood. Either way, you are going to have a better chance of getting the situation dealt with appropriately if you can provide evidence.

OP, I feel for you. Your situation can be extrapolated into similar situations when people routinely create misery for others and, when the laws of society and neighborliness fail, you are left with no leverage. It is supremely unfair. Your quality of life has tanked and the perps, and, apparently, law enforcement, don't shiv a git.

Because there appears to be no hope of achieving a "neighborly" compromise (they've made it abundantly clear that they don't care about your peace of mind), I would take the high road, use noise-blocking techs and look for another place to live. It's unfair. It sucks. But, as long as they are there and so disrespect you, I don't think you have another alternative, UNLESS you can prove criminal activity that can get them ousted.

I've been down the road before and it was life altering. There are horrible people in this world, sad, but true.

Fivehorses I feel for you & know what you're going through. Go to a BassPro / Gander Mountain type store & get an Electronic Predator Call with the "wounded rabbit" CD. It is the worst sound EVER & I had to use it in a situation very similar to yours.

I knew I'd read about this somewhere...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...n_n_98304.html

Just fire one of these up. Parents can't hear it, it'll drive the kids nuts and they'll find somewhere else to party.

It could work, right?
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

Quote Originally Posted by AggieDQ View Post
    Fivehorses I feel for you & know what you're going through. Go to a BassPro / Gander Mountain type store & get an Electronic Predator Call with the "wounded rabbit" CD. It is the worst sound EVER & I had to use it in a situation very similar to yours.

Dang! I read through the whole post to see if anyone suggested it, I was gonna post about it too:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...n1095665.shtml

Kids hear it, but adults over the age of I think 20 lose the sence of hearing of this decible. Merchants put it out to deter teenagers from loitering around the business outside.

You could put one in a tree, point it to their house, the kids will be complaining about the buzzing, but the parents, nor you, will hear it.

The flipside is that teenagers are using this tone as a ringtone, the phone rings, they hear it but the parent doesn't. You can go online and play the tone, have a kid there, it's funny, they will hear it and you have no idea!

You can test the ringtones and the ages of which you can hear the sound:
    http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I agree with those saying take the high road.

I think you can get through anything, but the prospect of having them buy the house is not good.

When developers looked at the farm next door right before the real estate bubble burst, I put together a plan for myself to start pig farming right next door. (Luckily the bubble burst, and the developers went away). A beef farmer one town over composts his dead cows as close to the property line as possible.

I would think of doing something with your farm that makes the neighbor's house very unappealing to buy, personally. However, I would also not engage them, as someone else has said.

ok, now you guys are getting creative. Even if I don't buy or use any of this stuff, its good to think about it. Anyone who has experienced this kind of intrusion from a neighbor understands the dynamic of what is going on is not just the issue causing the disruption, but also the sense you no longer control your life or surroundings. Its fun to think about revenge, even if not put into action.

Carp, the landlord/owner does have sympathy, but he won't do anything about it because he needs the money from the rent. Kind of simple. my neighbor is living in an apartment with his wife and kids because the economy tanked and to save the house, he rented it. He is not going to jeopardize that.

the police are beyond sympathetic. The chief asked me to call them, but since there is no bite in their visit, I am hesitant to call since the neighbor will then know he has carte blanche so to speak. The chief commiserated and said our ordinances are not effective. We discussed working on presenting to town selectman a more effective ordinance which empowers the police to issue a summons or ticket or something.

And, when I yelled f'ing asshats to them...it was dark, I was probably 125' from the property line. I did not walk up to the party and yell at them!!! There was a fence and a set of trees between us. If someone saw me or heard me...I highly doubt it. I was walking my dogs, and just astounded at the noise level and knew they could not hear me or see me, but that I could let off some frustration. I actually thought as I yelled how very sad it was that I could be screaming, and they couldn't even hear me.

I am going to search for the mosquito...anyone have a used one they want to sell me or rent me?
    I like the rabbit too. Only problem, these parties are so loud, I really don't think they would hear it but I could play it during the week when its just half a dozen kids over.
    Thank you for the support. I am sorry for any of you that have had a neighbor who makes your life so miserable that you have to move.

The funny thing about all this. Before they lost their house, they use to complain about their neighbors and the noise their kids made. Their kids were younger. You would think they would understand, but instead took on an attitude of we are entitled to make as much noise as we want.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Sorry for what you're going through. Can you add some soundproofing to the interior walls of your house? You might be able to create a quiet room for yourself. It still stinks that you can't be outside without being bothered by the noise, but it may help calm your nerves some. You can also get some foam earplugs. Any pharmacy or grocery store should have them.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    You can also get some foam earplugs. Any pharmacy or grocery store should have them.
    Sporting goods store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Buy them one of the game boxes like an Xbox. Kids never play outside again when they have one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Buy them one of the game boxes like an Xbox. Kids never play outside again when they have one of these.
    So true!

Mosquito Ringtones http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/ High frequency, shrill, and can only be heard by certain ages. (As people age, hearing for the higher frequencies degrades.) Get the one for 18 and under, amplify, direct toward their yard continuously when kids are screaming. Kids will be able to hear it, their parents and you will not.

Edit: I see someone already posted this

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    You can test the ringtones and the ages of which you can hear the sound:
    http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/
    Off topic, but I have to say this made me feel good about myself.

I'm almost 26 but can hear the 24 and younger ones. Also can very, very faintly hear the 18 and younger ones. If I didn't know I was listening for something though, I wouldn't know it was there.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I can hear all the "18 and younger" ones but not the "50 and younger" one. I'm 45. Fishy, fishy, fishy.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post

Throw in 'Rock band' or 'Guitar hero'

sweet justice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Love the mosquito ringtone idea. I've heard some stores in malls are using that technology to keep teens from loitering in front of their stores.

Teenager repellent! But wait, wouldn't it attract dogs?
    Click here before you buy.

Haha, I have a hearing loss and I was curious and checking out the mosquito ringtones a few minutes ago while my husband was sleeping near me in the living room.

Well, I clicked on the "everyone should hear" one and my husband woke up and asked me if the laptop was angry with me because it was screaming at me. Who knew? I sure didn't hear it.

While not really pertinent to the OP (I apologize), I though it was amusing enough to share.

Did the mosquito make anyone else feel nausous? eeew, all of them (the ones I could hear) made me feel instantly horrid!
    To the OP~ I'm sorry your having to deal with neighbors like these! I had an awful neighbor a few years ago, (we called him "ghetto fabulous" because he was everything BUT) it was difficult to deal with in the city, I couldn't imagine ,if I had been in the country what I may have been tempted to do

I'm a firm believer in karma. and think what goes around comes around ..... BUT I do have to say if you are absolutely desperate go with the mosquito, it seems like the most harmless, you could always play dumb and say you thought it was supposed to keep mosquito's away and had no idea kids could hear it