The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Wait before you act, you don't want this guy to focus on you and blame you for all of his previous problems (tranferred intent). There can be retaliation against your animals.

Tape all of the noise.
    Tape all of your conversations with him and any member of his family.
    Tape all of your conversations with his landlord and with the police.
    ...........Then it won't be your word against him in any future action. People lie. Tape recordings prove their lies.

How old are the kids? Have you tried talking to them about it (calmly, I think yelling would probably backfire)?

Might not work, but it also might be worth a shot. They might not have the high-and-mighty attitude their dear dad does.

Could you maybe find a way to "make friends" with the kids? Pay them to pick rocks up from a paddock or something. Establishing some sort of relationship with them might be in your best interest here.

(actually, on that note... why are the kids not in school?)

Also: Bose noise cancelling headphones might be a worthwhile investment. They work pretty well.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Is the landlord aware of the trampoline on the property? I only ask because there can be some hefty home insurance premiums for liability if you have a trampoline in some states.

I can think of a few ways to render the trampoline useless, but none of them legal.

Hopefully the novelty of the new place will wear off with your nasty neighbors and they will soon stop. Or find a new place.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    He starts screaming at me, Says "I am on the planning board, and the blah, blah board, and I am going to fight you on this." .
    Abuse of power?

About taking the high road... it is a lot easier to throw rocks down hill than up hill

Go and Google "stink bomb." You can make one yourself and huck it into their yard under cover of darkness. It will make the trampoline area much less popular.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

It might be time to relocated your manure pile to the side closest to their house? Smell + flies might keep them indoors or looking for a new place to live.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

for inside the home have thought about using white noise to block their noise?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise_machine

Fly traps...they smell like rotting meat...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I feel for you. I live in a neighborhood, and while I like my neighbor to the east...they have some noisy "stuff." First, she raises African Boerboels, which are guard dogs on steroids. Very nice I guess, but I go in my backyard "bark bark bark bark snarl at the fence," any of the neighbors go in their back yards "bark bark bark snarl at the fence."

She has a kiddo who is very nice and quiet on his own, but when his friends are over (and oddly enough, playing on the trampoline), they play the same screaming game.

I don't like children, mainly because of the noises they make. I'm hearing impaired and don't hear as much, so constant noise that I can hear is like torture. Crying babies, screaming kids, they can just about bring me to tears. Not exaggerating, I mean face scrunched up with my hands over my ears. It's really horrible actually, because in their case I know it's not malicious.

OP: Sorry, but I'd be the one to fight fire with fire. Something offensively loud without being offensive. Or hell, be offensive, how about loud rap with lots of cursing? Parents may be less likely to leave Junior there when he comes home with a new vocabulary.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Peacocks

3 Kids age 8-13. Yes, I have made friends with the kids. 1st day move in, kids were up here(about 6 of them) to see the horses. for about 3 weeks, the kids came up at least 3times a day. One day, I met mom when I was out on a walk, and she told me how wonderful her son was doing per his therapist because of the neighbor and the animals. Then, abruptly, no kids- 3+ visits a day to none, and noise went from laughter and kids noise to loud screaming all the time.
    the family is loud anyhow, but we are now talking really really loud screaming and I honestly believe dad is encouraging it.

After the first party(about day 5), I asked the kids the next day if they could try and be quiet at night since it scared the horses. I put it in kids terms, I need your help, etc. Mom called left a message, said kids are grounded, etc will never happen again, so sorry. I call back, speak to father, and he was a bit gruff, but I said thank you so much, appreciate it, ya, ya. I am thinking, good, we are on the same page. Next day, screaming, and that weekend party time...which consists of about 30+kids and 10 adults or so. So, it was just 'talk', no action on their part.

I have not yelled or screamed but ask. In truth, I am somewhat depressed over this and also exhausted. It has truly worn me down like I never before could have imagined. I don't have the energy to shout or even to be slightly confrontational. I am beat. I now realize that I am not dealing with reasonable people, and consideration is not even in their realm of thinking.

Relocating manure pile is a sure fire way of getting cited for improper manure management. I am not a lousy farm owner and don't intend to go that route.
    Move, well, I have a business here, recommitted to staying here for a few more years, and even if I wanted to move, it isn't easy moving 10 horses, and a lifetime and finding a new farm. Plus, I don't want to move right now. And, also I would not be comfortable leaving my animals unattended.

trampoline...landlord knows and says he is insured. I do know you must have a rider in this state. Just need to figure out who insures them. Anyone have any ideas on how to find that out?

stink bomb...sounds good. will look into that. We do not have street lights, so I could possibly even go down in the dark when they have a party going on.
    dog bark stopper...not sure it is loud enough for 'them' to hear it. I am talking basically 30+ kids screaming so loud, you cannot hear. As an example, one night I went down there and screamed at them, you f'ing aholts, shut up. Not one person heard me, no break in the noise level, nada. that was last weekends party(labor day). It is truly that loud that I could scream right on the property line, and they would not hear me.

Yesterday, I did close the windows, put on fans(white noise) and turned on the tv's in the house...and still heard them.

The kids just went back to school, and so now m-f, it is quiet till 3 pm, then it starts. Weekends are horrid. The landlord told me...what about a compromise, they can make all the noise they want, and come winter you will get your peace because the kids won't want to be out. wtf kind of compromise is that? He was serious, and when I said that really wasn't a compromise, he told me I wasn't practicing give and take. ?????

The landlord told me that he is planning on selling them the house in 2 years when they are out of bankruptcy. Plus they have wealthy parents who can help them , so...I highly doubt they are going to move or relocate.

I will be camcording the noise. And I am making a journal of the noise problems.

Since they have moved here, my tenants mail has been tossed and their mailbox overturned twice. Today, their dogs came into my fields...we are now talking back fields, chasing my horses. I wasn't home, but my help told me they saw the dog.
    to add to the concerns, one of my gates was down. It was not done by horses, but someone intentionally since a rope had to be untied, for the gate to fall- it was on the ground.

I am not comfortable with the threats or abuse of power regarding serving on boards in town either.
    However, I think it demonstrates his own feeling of inferiority(out of work for 2 years), wife works 2 minimum wage jobs, etc. He is now a house dad. I think in his own wierd way, he is angry at the world, and I am an easy target. Afterall, I own half the hill! He is miserable, so he is going to make my life miserable.

I like people, and being single, I like neighbors. But honestly, next place is going to be isolated from neighbors, and lots of dogs to alert me to intruders. I think that is a sad comment about our society. I am a gregarious person by nature, but this is making me not like people!
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

thejenners...I never experienced, thus never understood how kids screaming and noise could be that offensive. I have been crying for days, very high blood pressure, and just basically feeling on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I am not exaggerating either. I was bringing in a horse, and found my hand was shaking as I put the lead around him.

I think the mom is gone for most of it, and dad is in the front of the house, and I don't think he hears any of it. The accousitics are not in my favor...the property is shaped like an amphitheater directing the noise to my house/barns.

I did call mom yesterday before their dogs came up, and my encounter with dad.
    I left her a message, asking her to call me. She hasn't. I wanted her to hear what I hear. I thought surely she would not want her kids to be that disruptive.

Ok, I am going out to harness fit my colt...its raining, yeah, so kids are not out.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Don't know if your layout would permit, but...we moved to an area with a reputation for crime. We have dogs, gate across the drive, and guns. Hunting rifle and a couple antiques from my family. But we have made a point of going out and target shooting every few months.

We are polite and talk and wave to all the neighbors. But we have also made it known we are not an easy target.

Keep diaries and recordings. Good luck.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

I also have an old horse trailer that I am thinking of putting the generator in and letting it run when the kids come out. In other words, I hear screaming, generator goes on(although that would probably drive me nuts too). Actually, my help suggested that, since this is also bothering her.
    I would do this. I can handle noise if it is constant and consistent. Plus more apt to tune it out and not even notice it after a while. Just like an air conditioner or fan running all night.

As opposed to kids screaming, yelling, doing this and that is something that you are always aware of. It is the constantly starting and stopping. Hence, driving you batty.

I really sympathize for you since a former neighbor had a child that was of school age, but because she had a 'condition' (that I personally doubt she really had-long story) was allowed to run shrieking constantly. Right after I moved in I went to Walmart and heard some kid shrieking from way across the store, so I naturally thought it was a younger child melting down. Nope, it was a school age kid who turned out to live next door, and she never shut up, and her parents ignored her. The girl never shut up, and her parents ignored it until they moved-so I bet she's still shrieking. And I wouldn't bet the neighbor's kids stay in for the winter either.

You have done everything you can, and nothing will be done legally. It's time to stop dealing with them except what you can do when they trespass or vandalize. Put chains and locks on the gates, if the dog comes on your property call animal control (if you have them) and make formal complaints about the livestock chasing. Have your attorney send a certified letter addressing the trespassing, and animal issues and make very clear that no one is allowed on your property ever. There are no more visits from them ever-negligent parents are the first to sue. Find out if you have enough No Trespassing and other legally required signs to protect you. If anything happens that you have proof of, press charges. And I suggest you get a livestock camera or wireless camera on the pasture to document the dog trespassing. Unfortunately, you seem to be next to the so-called 'cool parents' who in a few years will be having the huge booze parties for all of the kids, and I wouldn't bet that they aren't baby sitting for money either, but you'll never be able to prove it. The horses will adapt quickly, but with humans it is much harder. I second the noise cancelling headphones and ipod outside. And if the kids are there during the day call the school board or whoever enforces truancy laws-if the parents are really that busy then they aren't home schooling anyone.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Ignore it.

Really. You can't control other people and you have already been informed there is nothing illegal about it. If this is the worst thing that happens to you in the next 6 months, be grateful.

You could be dealing with much worse things. Really and truly.

I have people who rotate in and out of a house several doors up that are always loud, messy and usually some police agency somewhere has dealt with at least one member of the household. I ignore them. I don't ask them to accomodate me in any way and I nod politely when they pass by my house. I do not engage them in any way and I do not offer any neighborly advice or invite them to my home nor do I go to their front yard to tell them how much I dislike how they live. Down the street the other way is a family that has an extensive "family". See above.

Anything you do will escalate it.

Are.you.sure.you.want.that?

Could you hire a private investigator to collect information re: trespassing, excessive noise, possible suspicious activities? Or hire a security company to occasionally "patrol" the area and passively intimidate just a little bit?
    Click here before you buy.

So, is your last name Hatfield or McCoy?

Sooooo, as my brother once told me, when you are dealing with a rattlesnake, you need to get into the pit and deal dirty. He tells me I am too nice, and need to play nasty back to people.

In other words, what nasty things would you do that are legal?
    This sounds like a seriously bad idea. What do you think are the odds that pissing off your irrational neighbors will result in a rational response?

Your situation sucks, but fighting fire with fire might get you burned.

You might want to check and see if there is a noise law on the books that has a maximum decible level. If so, you could rent or buy a decible meter and start to document the levels. Mr. Kestrel races cars, and many areas have a maximum allowable level, even out in the boonies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    You might want to check and see if there is a noise law on the books that has a maximum decible level. If so, you could rent or buy a decible meter and start to document the levels. Mr. Kestrel races cars, and many areas have a maximum allowable level, even out in the boonies.
    and then, of course, you must keep records of the levels and be willing to go to court, testify against them and hope you win.