The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default I am looking for some nasty...

Situation, new people moved into the house next door as renters. I have spoken to the police, and to their landlord, my previous neighbor. Police say they can't do anything since our noise ordinace only goes into effect after 11pm, and landlord tells me it was hard finding a tenant, and he is not going to do anything about it. They had to rent their house because they moved into an apt because the ecomomy became so slow. Police were sympathetic, but helpless.

The problem is noise. Screaming kids all day long bouncing on a trampoline. Not one, but at least 6 -10 kids a day. We are not talking laughter and kids playing, but a game I hear, who can scream the loudest. If I didn't live here, I would not believe this went on from 10-till way after dark.

Our houses are 200' apart, and I am their only neighbor...everyone else on our road is 1/2 mile away so are not bothered by the noise, they hear it, but it is muffled.

Yesterday, was their 3rd party in 5 weeks. Party meaning 30+ kids, boom box, louder than normal. But, the point is, there is noise every single day.

I mentioned very politely to the parents after the first party that went on till after midnight, that the noise after dark was really disturbing to the horses, and was it possible to ask the kids not to scream after dark? No problem, the kids was grounded for making so much noise. Why the parents did not stop it, is beyond my understanding. Plus, not sure what grounded meant...kids at it the next day! and night.

Yesterday, a gorgeous day, and the noise so loud, I closed my windows, put on fans and watched tv...not something I do during the day ever! I took the dogs out to relieve themselves, and their dogs come over to my yard. I walk the dogs home, and the father is in the backyard, so I ask him...is it possible to lower the noise level at all, I am really having a hard time dealing with the constant noise. His response is to say what do you want me to do about it, which I reply, what about moving the trampoline to the other side of the house? He then proceeds to tell me that his kids have the right to make noise, etc, and when I say, yes, and I don't mind laughter or kids talking, but its the screaming that is wearing me down, he then says, just because you own half this hill doesn't mean you can tell me what to do. I say, I am not trying to tell you what to do, but just some kind of compromise so we all can live in peace.
    He starts screaming at me, Says "I am on the planning board, and the blah, blah board, and I am going to fight you on this." and I say, ok, and walk away, since he is getting more angry by the moment, and obviously not someone who wants to be rational and live peacefully. I meanwhile am obviously close to tears, very subdued, because I am feeling totally overwhelmed by the noise.
    they are loud by nature, and their home has been foreclosed, he is out of a job, and there are many dynamics going on. Many people in town told me he held a powerful job and now they are in such financial straights and woe be them, they are wonderful and have parties every weekend and have an open house policy of drop your kids off to play. Where they lived before they did not have neighbors.

I am seriously going crazy. I feel like I am being tortured. I love being outside, working horses, futzing around, etc, and now either go away for the day or stay in the house with windows closed.

I don't think I am dealing with considerate or rational people. They don't care. So, I usually try and deal with things in the 'correct' route, but their is no solution or support to get them to stop.
    When I spoke to the police chief, I asked him, so if you can't do anything, does that mean I can play loud music too and you can't do anything to me? He said, yes, but I know you, you are a very tolerant person, we know you as a reasonable person and you don't want to stoop to their level. At this point, yes I do.

Sooooo, as my brother once told me, when you are dealing with a rattlesnake, you need to get into the pit and deal dirty. He tells me I am too nice, and need to play nasty back to people.

In other words, what nasty things would you do that are legal?

I want them to feel what it is like to have to listen to someone else, in other words, cry uncle.

this is so unlike me, so I need suggestions.
    I also have an old horse trailer that I am thinking of putting the generator in and letting it run when the kids come out. In other words, I hear screaming, generator goes on(although that would probably drive me nuts too). Actually, my help suggested that, since this is also bothering her.
    I have thought about a stereo system too, but know very little about stereo systems that are loud. I would rather blast NPR or music, than hear kids screaming.

This is really taking its toll on me.

Next property is going to not have a neighbor within a half mile. BTW, I did offer to buy the property from the landlord for what he paid for it 3 years ago. He refused..., he is basically someone who buys property and then rents it. So, I think this is how he is going to treat this property!

OK, cothers, give me your legal, how to get nasty back, since I have tried the nice route.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

They're probably not going to stay long. I'd continue to take the high road, personally. Winter is coming and maybe they'll stay inside.

Two wrongs don't make a right and all that . . . but you have my sympathies--I love the quiet out here in the sticks and when someone is making noise on our property it's usually MY kid, so it's tolerable because he's just not naturally that loud.

FWIW, the horses will adapt to the noise very quickly as they are not reacting to an agenda or an affront, merely becoming used to something new.
    Click here before you buy.

Jingles for you ~ I do not think you should be nasty back as your animals are or may be involved ~ people are vindictive sp? and you don't want them to hurt your animals ~ they will hopefully not be there long ~ Jingles & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I know it's easy for me to say since I'm not having to endure such chaos, but really, as delta said, stay on the high road.

You have horses, and there are obnoxious kids next door - not a good combo, especially from the standpoint of horses being considered an "attractive nuisance". You don't want those kids (or the irreponsible parents) to get any ideas about possible "interactions" with your horses.

Hang in there, and good luck with this.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Well at least your horses will be bombproof . You could always take up playing the trumpet or something. You'd need lots of practice to learn an instrument. And since the only quiet time in which to hear yourself practice would be about 3 am...

Barkstopper?

Mount it on a pole on your property within 50 feet of the trampoline. My bet is the screams will set it off and the ear piercing whistle it emits is about as annoying to humans as screaming kids are.
    Only problem is replacing the 4 D cell batteries every few days at first.
    I did this when the neighbour's 4 guard dogs were barking all day. It not only surprised and stopped the dogs, but their owner started training them to be quiet because HE couldn't stand the sound.
    My horses didn't seem upset at all by the whistle.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

If you want the situation to escalate then do something nasty.

If you want them to be reasonable then you have to act reasonably.

Get out your MP3 player with some really seriously good earphones, then get a really, really good pair of sound supressing ear protectors, you know the kind the guys running loud equipment wear, put on over the earphones, and for however long you can stand to listen to your own music, you're good to work outside. Ask me how I know this!?
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Quote Originally Posted by Over the Hill View Post
    Get out your MP3 player with some really seriously good earphones, then get a really, really good pair of sound supressing ear protectors, you know the kind the guys running loud equipment wear, put on over the earphones, and for however long you can stand to listen to your own music, you're good to work outside. Ask me how I know this!?
    If I did this, and then sang along at the top of my lungs, the whole neighborhood would clear out.

I FEEL FOR YOU!!!!
    We have the white trash renters from HELL next door. The kids are not the problem in my case, in fact, I have seen the kids outside playing once. Its pretty sad. Mother is around my age (mid 20s, but started popping them out at 16) and cant hold a job, so she is helping her mom (our realtor). Father is a cook at a local grill. Our houses are close togeather, and their driveway is so close to our master BR window. They come and go at all hours of the night (2,3,5,6 am or the middle of the day). They have thier high beams on (fine, we live on a country rd, but turn them off when you come in the driveway). They always have sketchy people coming and going from the house. The thing that drives me UP THE WALL though are the dogs. They are crazy. They use to tie on up in the front yard and it would lunge and bark at nothing, like it was seeing something the rest of the world wasnt. It got loose and came after my dog and I, but when it got super close, it started waging its tail and trying to play with my dog. The owners were screaming that the dog was mean and would bite. After that, they locked it up, in a 4x6 "dog run". They have two other dogs in there as well. They live outside 24/7 and bark non-stop! AC says unless the dogs get thin or sick, they cant do anything.
    Hell with being nice. I would find anything possible to anouy them crap out of them. Air horns at 3am, blast x-mas music at 6am, set fire crackers off the second you hear them get quiet
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

few suggestions that are perfectly legal and farmy ... ROOSTER farming. Annoying as HEC

Pastured Pigs on that side of your farm.

Classical music or gospel or folk music... what ever seems to be more annoying to them. I have a CD of children's bible songs that could make someone want to stab their own eardrums with an icepick and I"d be HAPPY to share.

I've heard some people say adolesant guineas are pretty buggering annoying too.

Good Luck. I've been there... neighbors suck.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    Barkstopper?

Mount it on a pole on your property within 50 feet of the trampoline. My bet is the screams will set it off and the ear piercing whistle it emits is about as annoying to humans as screaming kids are.
    Only problem is replacing the 4 D cell batteries every few days at first.
    I did this when the neighbour's 4 guard dogs were barking all day. It not only surprised and stopped the dogs, but their owner started training them to be quiet because HE couldn't stand the sound.
    My horses didn't seem upset at all by the whistle.
    I wonder if this would work on the people that live behind me and their obsession with playing loud banjo music for 12 hours straight every nice day we have..

Quote Originally Posted by spaceagevalkyrie View Post
    I wonder if this would work on the people that live behind me and their obsession with playing loud banjo music for 12 hours straight every nice day we have..
    Heck I'd just let them continue playing..... But then I did watch "Deliverance"!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1823497745429#

get an intact male goat or two and pasture on that side of the farm.. GAWD Aweful Smell those things put off.. eck.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Do you know how many kids the parents have? How about how many bedrooms are in the house? Just wondering if you would have any chance of having the county do something if it is discovered that there are more people living in the house than are allowed by any zoning ordinance(s).

Might be worth checking into.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

running an unlicensed daycare?

As to the noise problem, I do second the soothing music. Powerful stereos can be had for next to nothing these days, many have a plug so you can attack your iPod with 4000 songs or there's about.

I do suggest soothing classic, Gospel is nice and soothing...maybe classic country, it does cross over with gospel a lot...

The again, how about the best of opera, a collection o the best sopranos ever lived?

Billy goats stink...
    birds are loud -Guinea hens anybody?

but having noise to battle noise...I hope you got aspirin on hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    running an unlicensed daycare?
    I was thinking that, too, but if they are not charging $ for those kids who are dropped off, it probably wouldn't be considered kids "daycare" in the licensing/unlicensing sense.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Still, worth looking into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Are they doing it while school is supposed to be in session? Truant officer! Although nowdays, they'd probably claim to be home schooling.

Ugh. I hate excessive noise too. As someone said, they probably won't be there for long.

We basically drove out one of our bad neighbors (and I mean really bad as in stealing, drugs, etc) by calling the police for the slightest thing to give them the excuse to go over and look around. Bunch of people wound up going to jail and homeowner had to sell the house (his grandmothers originally) But this was with the police's co-operation and encouragement & it wasn't just noise.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

That would make me somewhat bonkers too, but keep to the high road. Headphones and an iPod, etc. Send good thoughts/prayers every day that they find work in some other region and are blessed with the "opportunity" to move away. Then at least your karma stays in the right place.

When I first moved to from a small town to the city I woke up multiple times every night with the car alarms, garbage trucks, screaming yelling drunk people walking by, car stereos thumping. After a month or two I slept right through it. Later when I moved to the country it was so darn quiet I had to play the radio at night at first.