The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Would you ride with a trainer if she had a tattoo? Say that the tattoo was of a marijuana plant, would that make you not take lessons?

Would you ride with a trainer if she had a tattoo? Say that the tattoo was of a marijuana plant, would that make you not take lessons?

And a tattoo has any influence on their abilities and qualifications, how?

Reed

C_M_B Guest

Unless shes "high" during your lessons, http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif I dont see how this is an issue?

Absolutely. Being pierced and tattooed myself, it might even make me more comfortable. And who cares what the tattoo is of? Everyone makes stupid mistakes sometimes, and if this is for real, you don't know if she regrets it or not.

Danya

What about your kids? Would you let them lesson with the trainer?

Being a university professor with tattoos would you be willing to send your kids to our university?

Reed

I don't have kids, but as long as I thought she was a good fit for them, sure I would.

Danya

As long as it didn't mention my name, or the fact that I chipped in at my last show, I would be good with it.
    Save the Nauga\'s

looking at most people you would have no idea if they are/were pierced or tattooed.

this thread is absurd.

This is my trainer who has this tattoo. I have no problem with it, but it has turned into a big deal. She hates her farmer's tan, but refuses to wear tank tops because the people at the barn will freak out, she thinks. The tattoo is on her shoulder, where a tank top would show it. She thinks that new customers wouldn't be interested in lessoning because they would be offended by it. That parents wouldn't want their kids lessoning with her because of it.

I'll be the first to step forward and say that people often form a first impression before they have knowledge of a person's talent/redeeming qualities against which to balance that impression.

When a newbie mom is prospecting for a trainer for her child, she often knows very little about trainers' reputations. She knows what she sees, and, when two trainers rate equally in terms of show ring performance, other elements of the picture may move in to tip the scales.

I am not naive enough to think that a visible cannibis tattoo wouldn't cause said mom to question a trainer's maturity, ability to role model, etc. That's just not the world we live in-- people can and do make judgements, fair or unfair, justified or not.

As a working adult (one with a formerly pierced eyebrow in college), I personally think that preconceived notions of a person's character or quality based on clothing or body art are a short route to discounting many wonderful, talented individuals-- both as friends and in business. That being said, this kind of thing happens, and will continue to happen until we breed conservatism and judgementalism completely out of our industry and world (a long road).

Whether your trainer chooses to accomodate this reality by covering up, or elects to challenge those around her to be better people, is entirely up to her.

LML

If she is worried that it will affect how clients will perceive her, she can always find some concealer make-up and use that.

There are lots of imaginative ways to cover up a tat.

Oh, and I hope no one gets offended becuz I'm an "Olde Farte" and have my navel pierced. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif
    Founder of the Olde Farte Clique

Maybe she could have an circle with a line through it tatooed over the original tatoo! That way it would be an "anti-drug" message!

Seriously, maybe she should look into having it removed.

Greytown, New Zealand (a blip on the landscape really :))

The guy that I learned to (trail) ride from had a 1/2 face tattoo. Probably more acceptable in NZ because of our Maori people (and this guy was about 70 and was 1/4 Maori and had "won" the right to have the 1/2 face warrior tattoo - by storming some ridge in the WWII with the Maori Battalion). I would not have an issue with a trainer having a tattoo - unless it was in real poor taste (think Nazi swastika) or poorly/crudely done... come to think about it, my present trainer has an eagle on her shoulder

i think that covering up a pot leaf tattoo is probably a good idea, especially if there's a chance that new clients will be coming around. that being said, i would care less about whether or not my trainer has tattoos. tattoos have no bearing on a person's knowledge or ability.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

What do tatooes have to do with a person's ability to train successfully?

Would you also not train with a bad dresser or someone with long hair??

This is absurd. I agree.

I'm with lmlacross on this one. Very well said.

Of course a tatoo doesn't affect someone's performance. However, having one of a pot leaf on your shoulder will definately affect how a lot of people view you. As in, "Why would you have it tatooed on your arm unless you think it's use is ok?" That may well turn some possible clients off.