The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Help Please Guest

Angry Stolen

DD is at Hits Saugerties and when she got to stable this morning discovered yellow/black atv and leather halters were stolen. She's reported it to show office. If anyone here knows anyone at the show, would you mind spreading the word?

Thank you!

Help Please Guest

Bumping this just in case someone at Hits checks into COTH and may have seen a yellow/black atv. A police report was filed, but we don't hold out too much hope.

Terrible. Someone must have seen something. Good luck.

We got robbed there this year and almost had our bike stolen. Bike was left at the hunter stadium while we showed right there, turned around to head back to stalls and no bike. We all piled on the golf cart and happened to see a guy on our bike riding behind us. We stopped and said it was our bike, he said "oh" and got off quickly and ran into the bathrooms. Clearly stealing the bike and not a horse show person.
    Experienced riders are not prone to brag. And usually newcomers, if they start out being boastful, end up modest. -C.J.J. Mullen

Sorry this happened to you ~ Jingles that the atv and halters are found ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Help Please Guest

Default Thanks

Thanks for the good wishes. We haven't heard from the police or Hits security, so not likely we'll get atv or halters back. Trainer also lost a video camera earlier that week - she's kicking herself for leaving it on a bleacher for about 10 minutes. It was an expensive show, for sure!

On a side note - does anyone know a good way to secure an atv in a show tent?

Quote Originally Posted by Help Please View Post
    Drive it into your tack stall/grooming stall/feed stall and chain and lock the door shut. Or drive it into your aisle and chain it to a stall door/tent pole.
    -----
    This is not a true story
    -----

I would check with your ATV dealer ~ there must be some good ways to secure an ATV ~ chains can be cut so I would check with your dealer ~ I am going to find out myself now that this has happened ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I would imagine you could probably disconnect the distributor cap over night or take the battery out.
    Or drive it back up in your trailer and lock the trailer.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by Help Please View Post
    Keep it at home ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I would be mad enough to spit nails.
    I had my scooter trashed at a show when I left the keys easily available, but I blamed myself for being naive.
    I think that locking inside of a grooming stall with the battery removed and the distributor cap missing might stop the everyday crook.

oh my gosh that horrible! I was there this weekend and the barn next to us was saying that they couldn't find one of their leather halters anywhere... I certainly have to be more careful with my stuff when I'm there!!!

My trainer lost one of her saddles there last year. It was taken from the barn while everyone was down at the ring. Everyone needs to be very careful with such expensive, custom equipment lying around.

Who would think such a nice show grounds/facility would invite such thievery... I've been so lucky as I'm often very cavalier about some of my belongings... after seeing this I will not be so trusting.

I hope you get your ATV and halters back... will insurance cover??

Help Please Guest

Default Insurance?

The trainer only had the atv a couple of months (used, but new to her). She's going to submit the loss to her insurance and hope that after paying the deductible she'll be able to find something she can afford in time for FL.

We've never had a problem with thievery at any of the Hits shows. I wonder if the $1,000,000 grand prix attracted some opportunists who wouldn't typically be there???

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Who would think such a nice show grounds/facility would invite such thievery... I've been so lucky as I'm often very cavalier about some of my belongings... after seeing this I will not be so trusting.

I hope you get your ATV and halters back... will insurance cover??
    The nice places are sadly where you need to be more careful. I was at an Andrew Osbourne Horse Show a year or two ago, which is an expensive private girls school, and had my wallet stolen right off the front seat of my car while we were loading the trailer. People took up a collection to get me home as I had no gas or toll money. Police later found the wallet thrown in the bleachers with all the cash gone.