The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunting/horses in Oxford,MS????

I am throwing this "out there" to see if there are any leads/info/suggestions for a newly relocated junior member from VA who just started (as a freshman!!) at my alma mater. She is interested in keeping hunting/riding/horses as part of her new life at college in whatever way possible. I can remember how much I enjoyed finally finding my "horse fix" my senior year at school (student on a budget,traded rides for farm work) and would love to help her discover this sooner. She is a very capable rider/horsewoman and was very involved(junior handler at hound shows and whipper-in for several years) in our hunt..and anyone would be lucky to have her around! Thanks for any info....happy hunting!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

There are now two hunts working out of the Memphis area. One is Longreen and the other is Oak Grove. Both are on the MFHA site with contact information. Longreen hunts mostly in the Mississippi Delta and at Como, MS. Not real sure where Oak Grove hunts.

When William Faulkner was alive and in Oxford, he would trailer north to hunt with Longreen.

Over near Starkville and in north Alabama there is Hardaway/Whitworth. In central Mississippi, near Durant, there is Chula Homa.

There is a dressage barn in Oxford run by Evie Tumlin who is big with the Miss Eventing and Dressage Association. Name of the barn is Cedar Wind. They are very active. There is also a dressage barn in Hernando, Mississippi, but they are exclusively dressage. Cedar Wind has done baby combined training schooling shows, as well as dressage clinics and adult camp.

Hopes this helps.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire