The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default NC Peeps - do trailers have to be inspected before renewing tags?

Just that one question!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I just renewed my trailer tag on-line, and got no notice or warning about inspection. I haven't received my new sticker and card yet, though; should get something Monday or Tuesday. Good question ...

IIRC, the renewal notice for cars tells you when inspection is due; I just went out to look at the renewal notice for the trailer, and it says nothing about inspection date. for what that's worth ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I don't know if they even have to be insptected any more. When I took mine into the shop in NC last year, and said do the maintenance and inspect, like every other year, they said trailers did not need to be inspected anymore. So if anyone else knows, please answer. I am thinking of getting the permanent tag next time, it may be cheaper over the long haul. I had Risa at Happy Trails in NC do the work this year, so they are SC. Did a great job too!
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I'd like to know this too!! At one time I didn't think it was required. Then I heard that it WAS required but only if your trailer was over a certain weight. All I know is that we've never been required to have an inspection before renewing the tags on my trailer. I don't want to find out the hard way though that it's required.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Ditto what Monstr said.

I would have SWORN they were required, but either they aren't, or it's only if it's a living quarters trailer.

I WOULD have it inspected though. I don't know what the penalties are, if any (since no inspection required) to not having correct lights working on the trailer. I had mine inspected last year (after several years of not), and there were a few of the required lights on the trailer not working - the ones that showed full height and width of it.

Plus, unless you can do it yourself, it's really nice for them to re-pack the wheel bearings.

Okay, got my renewal sticker in the mail today. The "inspection due" block is blank.

Mine's a 2h-DR-BP, gross weight is also not listed. Don't know if a larger rig would need inspection or not, no experience with that.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Thanks everyone! The official word is it is not required... But I agree, a good idea!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I believe it has to do with the weight of the trailer and what type of weighted tags you run on your truck. I have a four horse gooseneck that I took in and they told me that it did not have to be inspected, but if I did inspect it, would be quite expensive as it has something to do with federal inspections, i.e. like what truckers have to do.

Default Inspections

Inspections are not required. The permanent tag is the way to go if you plan to keep your trailer more than three years. Not everyone knows about the availability of these tags. A helpful clerk alerted me.

What's the deal with a permanent tag?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What's the deal with a permanent tag?
    When we bought our new Adam GN the nice lady at the DMV told us about the permanent tag. It cost 89.00 for forever. Whadda deal.
    Last edited by horsegeeks; Sep. 14, 2010 at 07:16 PM.
    The other female in my husband's life has four legs

Don't forget in NC.. if you have a Farm tag on your truck, you don't need a tag on any trailer you haul... Unless you use it for business purposes..

This goes for a horse trailer, car hauler, big hauler, lawn mower trailer, etc.

Just an FYI!
    All horses can go barefoot, but not all owners can - words of wisdom!

But the Farm Tag is really restrictive as to what you can do with that vehicle.

I'd like to know more about that permanent tag too! Never heard of it.