The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Horse names / Farm names

How did you name your horse and farm. I love reasons for names. Do tell............

So greatful to get to ride!

my mare had the name rain (rather, reign) because of her lineage. not name-keeping worthy lineage, so i just switched it to rain. not a very fun story sadly. lol

A lot of mine are family related, so i'll share those:

The farm: "Tyler Farms"- my middle name is Tyler, which was given to me because my grandmother's middle name was Tyler. She helped my husband and I buy the place, so we wanted the name to be in memory of her, in a sense.

One of my horses: "Gold Coast"- My parent's have a lake cabin in Idaho that is on the "gold coast" of that particular lake. My mom picked that name, and I think it is appropriate because they have contributed so much to my riding endeavors over the years.

Another horse: "Andaluca"- This is a restuarant in Seattle. My husband used to be a photographer, and his first big assignment was for this restuarant. I always loved the name.

Our farm is on Spring road and about a 100 feet from our house is the biggest Oak tree that I have ever seen. I love the leaves on this tree in the Spring and the trunk is probably at least 8 feet in circumference.

Thus, my farm name - Spring Oak Farm.

Well I have only ever named one horse. This winter I decided I wanted to buy a prospect horse to work with and try to resell. I bought him for a great price at Nona Garson's auction and decided to make his show name Daliance which means a brief love affair! He is exceeding my expectations and it will really be hard to sell him in a year or so!

My first horse was a TB named Gypsy Quick.
    There is a bluegrass song I love called Gypsy Moon...about following your path as long as it takes to find where you belong. My husband and I both took long journeys getting where we are now.

In honor of long journeys and an old mare we have:
    Gypsy Moon Farm.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

I named my horse Chance Encounter because the same day we found him, we had gone about two hours away to go look at other horses and had gone to a couple different places. We didn't even know about Chance until the middle of the day and he ended up being only a mile from the barn I board at!
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

When my mare foaled I was toying with a name that meant young or forbidden love. You see she was 'accidently' bred by a yearling when she was 3. She was and still is a bit of a hussy. However soon after the filly was born, as she attempted to take her first steps, all she could do was creep on her belly with all four long legs askew. She looked like a little brown spider. So she became Charlotte after my favorite children's book, Charlotte's Web. Her registered name is Arana, which is spanish for spider.

My husband bought me a place to build a farm which I did. Then I went to steward training at Devon and didn't ride for 10 days or so. Came home had 2 lessons, Went to a show. Won. So due to the win my husband got to choose the farm name. A Jillity Farm.(I am Jill) Then we found a yearling we wanted in Lexington. He is out of Rockaspell x Powerscourt and was at Ashford Stud.......Reg name is Trey's Tiny Dancer and we call him Rockford. My hunter Murphy came from Ireland with that name. Had to keep it. Bought a TB several years ago in FL named South Beach then was offered to ride a Polo Patron's daughters (off to college ) horse.....Ocean Drive, go figure. Early 90's bought a retired jumper named T Widukind, Dutch for The Wonder Kid. I have been pretty lucky with cool names. Got a few duds too....Rene (gelding) Baryshnikov "Misha"& Gastarr.

So greatful to get to ride!

First horse was an OTTB, reg name Crafty R. That turned into Crafty Rhythm. When we really started to show, we had a turning point, which involved switching trainers. He then became Just Believe. 2nd horse, Graci, reg name Be Charmed (didnt like it). Keeping with the "just" theme, she became Just Like That. 3rd horse Peter (he was Bravi and cameron at one point) was tried two days before I had to take a major test I thought I would fail. I didnt want the pressure by his previous show name, b/c alot of people knew him, and didnt like the current "no autographs please". Trainer joked if I failed, his name would be pocket change. I passed the test, which was fire dept related, so he became Rescue Me (after my fav show at the time).
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

My semi-retired adult mare's sire was Simbalu and her momma was a big brute of an Oldenburg named Bear. My stepdad named her SimBearlu. Confusing for announcers. And we pretty much just called her Simbalu anyway.

My barn is called Three Hearts Farm( for me,husband and daughter). My first horse was called Willing to Please, he and I did everything together. My new mare is My Answered Prayers which I think kind of explains it all, I found her a year before I lost my other horse. so there it is...
    My Answered Prayers**Daisy
    Willing to Please - Hero 5/10/87-7/14/09 My Life will never be the same

Quote Originally Posted by threehearts View Post
    My barn is called Three Hearts Farm( for me,husband and daughter). My first horse was called Willing to Please, he and I did everything together. My new mare is My Answered Prayers which I think kind of explains it all, I found her a year before I lost my other horse. so there it is...
    I love this!

My mare was named after the Aerosmith song Jaded (breeder/my coach liked the song) but thought it wasn't well suited to a mare so she named her Jaden (I spell it Jayden)

Last edited by Punkie; Sep. 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Well, Mikali Farms is a combination of Michael (my brother) and Alison (me)... It was a suggestion from a family friend several years ago for the small farm we grew up on, so it was easy to use it when I started my own business.

I tend to keep the names of the horses I buy so that the breeders/previous owners can easily keep track of them: Fly Away Champ, Montego Bay, Platoon II, Gloria, Leobalia, Chianto, Zelinosa, Azemieka VDL, Cornetta, Capi Rossi Frihave... I did change Julio de Darmen's name to Luka, Amadeus to Chakotay and Spetter to Navarre.

As for the foals I have bred - In keeping with the KWPN naming traditions, the two fillies are named Ellamieka (Ella) and Faizemieka (Faiza ~ Arabic orgins meaning victorious) for their dam-line and Finnan got his name since Cornetta was bred while I was away on a family holiday in Scotland - we visited the Glenfinnan Monument that day.
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

My little farm was (is) a fixer-upper when I bought it. The neglected barn had an ancient cedar shingle roof that was 100% rotted out on the weather side west corner. Thus rotting out the wall under it. The friend-of-a-friend guy who came to jack up and rebuild the wall knew I was a single woman trying to pull all this together on my own. At one point he looked at me and said, Can I talk to you frankly? I said, Um...yeah. He looked at the barn and said, This is a helluva project for a broad. Thus it's HP Farm.

love these stories! great thread!

Two Stars Farm was named simply because our two horses are dark bay mares with a star and when I would feed in the morning and it was still dark outside, I could always find them coming out of the darkness when I saw their stars.

At Last is my mare's show name. Her Jockey Club name is hideous "Tambos Jazz Dancer" and despite my best efforts to figure out what the "Tambos" is all about, no one knows and I didn't like it so I show her under a different name. I know it's supposed to be bad luck- but it's been the opposite so far!

I call her "At Last" for several reasons, first, she finished all five of her first races in dead last, secondly, her barn name is Jazz and one of Jazz singer Etta James' most famous songs is 'At Last', thirdly, she raced a long time and was shipped to lots of different tracks so "At last" she has a permanent home with one rider and one caretaker and one place to call her own, and last, I lost my first horse when I was 16 in a tragic way and I quit riding for a while and never thought I could love another horse again until one day I was browsing Facebook and saw her ad and fell instantly in love. I was leasing another horse at the time and just riding whatever needed to be ridden but all of the sudden- I wanted her. I rode her once in a roundpen after she had been sitting in a stall for months, didn't vet her, saw through the rainrot and winter coat and knew instantly that she was mine and I bought her that week with borrowed money. So At Last, I had found a horse to love again and love her I do!
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

I've only ever gotten to name one horse, which is my gelding I just bought in April. Originally, I had plans for his name to be something kind of humorous related to pigs (based upon one of my favorite childhood books). As a result, I decided to give him the barn name of "Ham," short for "Hampton." All this was decided before I'd ever even seen him in person, as I bought him based only on pictures. Little did I know how much he would actually live up to the name of Ham; he really IS one!

When I finally saw him in person, I realized that he was too handsome to have such a goofy show name. My friend came up with the name "Buckingham" to incorporate his color (buckskin) with his barn name of Ham. I don't have my own barn, but I thought it would be kind of cool to add letters in front of his name to make him sound pretentious and like we were really important. So, I came up with H.R.H. for "His Royal Highness." The end result? "H.R.H. Buckingham I."
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

My current horse is named after my grandparents, Norm and Dee... Normandee!