The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SmartPak Turnouts

Has anyone bought the SmartPak brand of Turnouts?

Their new catalog came and the Classic at 600 denier (http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...4&cm_vc=Search) and the Deluxe at 1200 denier ( http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...6&cm_vc=Search) both look very good. They are excellent prices considering I'm a Rambo person. After getting burned with a Schneider's turnout 2 yrs ago, I tend to be very concerned about the quality of the less expensive turnouts but I know SmartPak has an excellent reputation from comments from COTHers.

I have a companion horse at my barn to keep my horse company. The horse is on free board but the owner is to pay for vet, farrier, supplements and bring adequate turnouts for the horse.

The horse arrived last Dec. with a mid weight turnout that didn't fit really well but was acceptable and another midweight stable blanket that was supposed to go under the turnout for when it got cold. The stable blanket had holes on both inside and outside so it couldn't even be used without the turnout over it. I used the combo for a few really cold days and the horse started to get shoulder rubs so I pulled both and put one of my heavyweight Rambo's on him and left it like that for the winter. I told the owner that the stable blanket was unacceptable and that I'd take responsibility if her horse damaged my Rambo. Spring came several weeks early here so I gave him a lightweight Rambo to wear for the cold rains because his owner wasn't able to get out with anything for him. I honestly don't know if she even has anything in a lightweight for him.

I plan to talk to her about getting him some decent lightweight and heavyweight turnouts for him and like what I saw in the SmartPak catalog as they aren't all that expensive.

So, if anyone has bought either the Classic or Deluxe lightweight or heavyweights, or even the midweights, could you chime in with your opinion on fit and quality. Are they truly waterproof and breathable and do they hold up for more than a couple of wearings? I'd hope that they would hold up for several years. I'm used to my Rambo's lasting for quite a while. I think my oldest Rambo is probably 15 yrs old and still going strong.

The two horses aren't rough on turnouts so the Classic at 600 denier would probably be OK for the horse.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

We have used the 1200 denier turnouts from Smartpak. I love the high neck medium and heavy turnout, great value! But the light weight sheet (normal neck) pulled on all three horse's shoulders and withers. Now all three geldings are big bodied WBs, but for some reason the turnout didn't want to stay on straight (shifted a lot), and rubbed their withers/shoulders. They held up well though, no tears and stayed waterproof. They are a year old now and still look pretty new.

I plan on buying my new guy the Smartpak 1200 denier medium or heavy weight high neck turnout, and then go with Rambo for the turnout sheet.

MissintheSouth, Thanks for the information about the regular neck design pulling and not fitting well.

The horse that I wanted these for is a very big bodied TB. He looks and is built more like a QH than a TB so I'm guessing he might have the same problem. Depending upon any other responses, I'll suggest Stevie's owner consider the high neck in the heavyweight. It's only $10 more. I've got a Rambo lightweight that I was considering selling as it's too small for my horse but I think it would fit Stevie. I'll see if she's interested in buying it from me. It's 3 yrs old and I'm planning on asking $100 for it. Considering that same Rambo TO lists for $220, I think I'm asking a reasonable price.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I've been also eyeing the smartpak blankets. My heavyweight really doesn't fit my mare as well as I'd like, and I plan on doing a full body clip this year (she is part yak, and would be fine with no blanket, if I didn't plan on riding her - she gets into a sweaty hot mess sometimes) Last year I did a modified bib-type clip, but even then she would get sweaty enough to make me wish I did a fullbody. I need at least a blanket liner, but I would love to get her a new heavy weight and a sheet too.... I think I need a winning lottery ticket for all the crap I want to buy, especially from SmartPak!

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post
    I think I need a winning lottery ticket for all the crap I want to buy, especially from SmartPak!
    I know just what you are saying.... So far I've been really, really, really, really good and have not looked at anything else besides blankets and turnouts but I don't know how long I can hold out. On the other SmartPak thread, someone pointed out a beautiful coat that I would have absolutely no need for but would be very tempted to buy it. That's why I'm not looking any further in the catalog.

Considering my boy is retired, his only needs are blankets, halters, leads and brushes. This summer I did buy him a training surcingle and lovely leather/elastic side reins to put him back to light work on the lunge in hopes to keep his fat belly from sagging anymore than it is already. Then it was too hot to use them for most of the summer. Now my excuse to not work him is that I just had the indoor graded and I need to get in there and smooth things around. That's on the agenda for tomorrow.
    Sue

Default I like 'em

I have the SmartPak classic turnouts in MW and HW, regular neck and high-neck and I love them. They are the first turnouts I have found (including several tries with Schneiders) that don't make my Arab look like she's wearing a burqa. But, if your horse is a wide-body, maybe the the very thing I love about the SmartPak Classics is the thing that might be a problem for you (ie, fine-boned vs. wide-body). For us, they fit beautifully, don't overwhelm her, stay in place, keep her plenty warm in New England winters, are durable, I find them a great value, etc.

I have this one http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=3907 except my gelding's (yes, gelding) is pink argyle http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...05464652IVBnpm.

I love it! My horse has a huge TB shoulder that can be a little weird to fit and this is a great shape for him. The fittings are really nice and don't get too clogged up with mud (as you can see, mud is his friend ). I appreciate the thinsulate when I have to do a million blankets in the morning. It's not overly warm, but my guy does just fine with his Baker underneath. And he's a cold weather wimp.

Possibly my favorite things are that it was, with clearance pricing and a few Christmas coupons, I only paid $35 for it. And the bright pink makes it SO much easier to find my dark bay/no white markings horse in the dark (or from the parking lot )

Quote Originally Posted by SharonA View Post
    I have the SmartPak classic turnouts in MW and HW, regular neck and high-neck and I love them. They are the first turnouts I have found (including several tries with Schneiders) that don't make my Arab look like she's wearing a burqa. But, if your horse is a wide-body, maybe the the very thing I love about the SmartPak Classics is the thing that might be a problem for you (ie, fine-boned vs. wide-body). For us, they fit beautifully, don't overwhelm her, stay in place, keep her plenty warm in New England winters, are durable, I find them a great value, etc.
    Wide body is an understatement! Right now he looks pregnant and has since he went out on grass.

Both horses are easy keeping TB and are only allowed out on grass for 6 hrs. Rest of the time is in a sacrifice paddock. They get a 2 small flakes of grass hay, a cup of LiteBalance pellets, 1/2 cup of oats and 2 cups of beet pulp for fiber and so they eat their supplements.

Good to know that it fits a more narrow horse though. Thanks for info.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
    I have this one http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=3907 except my gelding's (yes, gelding) is pink argyle http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...05464652IVBnpm.

I love it! My horse has a huge TB shoulder that can be a little weird to fit and this is a great shape for him. The fittings are really nice and don't get too clogged up with mud (as you can see, mud is his friend ). I appreciate the thinsulate when I have to do a million blankets in the morning. It's not overly warm, but my guy does just fine with his Baker underneath. And he's a cold weather wimp.

Possibly my favorite things are that it was, with clearance pricing and a few Christmas coupons, I only paid $35 for it. And the bright pink makes it SO much easier to find my dark bay/no white markings horse in the dark (or from the parking lot )

Your boy looks positively lovely. Unfortunately the thinsulate turnout is a mid weight and Stevie has an acceptable mid wt. I'd love it if we could find any other color TO for him than green or blue as my boy has the light and heavy wt green Rambo's and a blue mid weight. Both boys look very much alike - to the point where the one vet called them Frick and Frack.
    Sue

Get the 1200 denier. I bought late in the season last year, and the 600 denier was all they had. The horses played over the fence and it got ripped right away. I would never buy anything that flimsy again. The cut and fit were perfect on my big WB, so I would buy again, but the tougher nylon.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Get the 1200 denier. I bought late in the season last year, and the 600 denier was all they had. The horses played over the fence and it got ripped right away. I would never buy anything that flimsy again. The cut and fit were perfect on my big WB, so I would buy again, but the tougher nylon.
    Thanks. I'm not buying but was hoping to suggest that the woman who owns the horse will consider the SmartPak TO's. I've gotten an email from her that she's going to be bringing out some blankets this coming weekend to see what fits him. I emailed back that I'd like him to have all 3 wts (lt, med, and hvy). I also let her know I have a 3 yr old Rambo light wt that should fit him if she was interested in buying it. New Rambo's run $220 and I was offering it at $100 otherwise I'd take it to a sale.

To be honest I don't even mind providing decent fitting TO's for him, but the 'boarding contract' states that she is to provide adequate TO's. I just hate to have to wash and re-waterproof TO's for both horses.
    Sue