The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Indyana Guest

Default Unrealistic pony shoppers?

Trying to help friend and 1st time buyer shop for a medium pony for her child. She wants something that can take her kid from short stirrup through children's at rated shows in competitive area (CT), must have a good show record, wants packer w/ auto change but not too old and NO medical issues/maintence. She wants this perfect pony for under $15k. I think this is completely unrealistic and am getting tired of her turning down everything I find for her in her price range because it's either too old (over 12), has been injected (owner says preventative) or pony missed a lead change when her (beginner) kid rode it and forgot to ask (saw a more experienced kid ride this one w/ no issues). I think she is looking for a pony she'll need to pay $25k for at least. Does her pony exist? Should I take her to see a more expensive pony so she can see what more $ gets her? I want to be helpful but I am thinking she will have to start compromising somewhere or this is a waste of both of our time. Thoughts?

Indyana Guest

Oh, forgot to say, she does not want a paint or appy. Insists that pony must be "gorgeous!"

My bet is you're going to get a lot of replies here that say, "that's plenty of budget! I know of one for under 10k!" Personally, I'm with you. The pony they seek may be out there, in the boondocks somewhere. They're going to need to be willing to drive or fly all over creation trying ponies to find that perfect animal.

Young, absolutely sound, legit record, high quality, good size, packer, auto everything. Yeah,,,,, no.

You should probably make better use of your time while your friend gets educated. My bet is they end up with a compromise- on size, quality or soundness (age).

that pony does not exsist in that price range. i too have clients that want a 2'6- 3ft packer with auto swaps, win the hack and no issues for 10k. i just don't look for them anymore, because they are not out there. i like the idea of showing her a more pricey pony but then as a seller myself, you would be wasting a sellers time if she is not going to buck up and shell out the money, that's not really fair to the seller. i wish you much luck in your search, and try not to waste too much of your time
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Yes, there might be some out there.
    Will you ever find them? Probably not....needle in a haystack.

It's like trying to find a Maserati on a Kia budget. Will there be someone out there with that pony who doesn't realize it's worth? Probably? Will you ever find them? Probably not.

And even if you do...the pony may not have perfect markings or look a little rough right now or something that isn't immediate perfection and it soounds like this person is shopping for a fantasy pony instead of a real one.

Her realistic options are:
    *Funny looking pony
    *Project pony
    *Older pony
    *Spending years peeking into fields/backyard barns hoping to find that perfect cheap gorgeous pony...might take long enough for her daughter to outgrow ponies

I'm in CT too. The average price for a "green broke" 8-15 year old "prospect" anything is $5k.
    Yeah, we have a whole lotta optimistic sellers out there with mature horses they've left to rot in paddocks and never trained. But they're all "fantastic prospects" for everything, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Default For the most part unrealistic

You client is being a tad bit unrealistic. Either get a cheaper pony and put some money into training it OR lease someone's packer pony.

If you PM me I will send you links to a couple of dealers that frequently have ponies under $2k that are spot on mediums, but are western and would have to be re-purposed for hunter ponies.

Indyana Guest

Thanks for your replies. She keeps saying that in this economy, surely someone will NEED to sell/negotiate. And I keep telling her that people aren't going to give away their successful, maintenence free, packer show pony. For goodness sake, I know of a family that leases a pony like that for $25k a year AND it NEEDS injections! I am just frustrated because i have found what I thought were some nice options despite not meeting all of her requirements...definitely think it is time for me to gracefully bow out of this search!

Lol. Your predicament makes me think of watching those 1st time home buyers shows on HGTV. You know the ones with the young couple who wants a 3,500 sq ft. house with 3 car garage, finished basement, HUGE and prettily fenced back yard, big rooms, whirl pool hot tub baths in every room, crazy big walk in closets, and a kitchen with all stainless appliances and marble counter tops. All for under 200k. I always love the look on the real estate agent's face.

I agree, the pony might be out there, but probably doesn't have the show mileage at the big stuff. She's going to have to tone down the list to something more reasonable.

P.S I do know of one that I consider 'the world's most perfect pony". He can do w/t lessons or go win in the S/S or children's. Thing is he is at least 18 (but no maint.), you must ask (correctly) for anything you want or he just won't do it, and he has a big head (I say he needs it to fit his pony ego in.) The only problem? He is not not, nor will he ever be for sale according to his owner.

I'd show her some ponies that fit her "requirements" but are out of her price range.

And I would explain the situation to the sellers- buyer needs to see what the extra money will get her.

Some sellers will say no thanks, but others will be willing. After all, more than one buyer has ended up buying a horse that was above their original budget.

When shopping for myself I have done the same- your horse is above my budget, but I want to see what it is that makes a horse worth more money. Usually they are glad to have me come and try the horse.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Default "In this economy"

I think someone above hit the nail on the head. I have also heard the "in this economy" argument. It is really a fallacy that great horses & ponies that can put you in the ribbons next week are going for a small fraction of their former value. Anything that isn't wonderful may be going for a fraction of what it would have gone for 5 years ago, true. But the cream of the crop mounts are holding their value remarkably well. Those that will put you in the ribbons next week that have gone for less than their value have gone because somebody knows someone, etc.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

I am sure there are desperation sellers. I am one of them. I have a great young horse all but ready to go and I cannot sell him. Well, actually I will not sell him. I dropped him to a rock bottom $7500 and was offered 4k. I think they assumed I would take anything. Well, no, I won't take anything.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

I would explain to her that Packer ponies like the one she is discribing can be leased all day long for $10,000.00 per year or more, that's why they don't sell them cheap even in this economey. 5 years down the road that packer with a $25,000.00 price tag earns them $50,000.00 with no cost to them. Plus what she is discribing is more like a $50,000 To $100,000 Pony in your area. A lease might be a better option. You also might point her to the sale sheet at Pony finals , Many ponies are pulled because they don't bring minimum bids, Sellers would rather keep them then sell below value. It doesn't cost alot to keep a pony , even those packers live on a handful of grain and a run in shed. Many don't even wear shoes.

AMEN Mike. But, just try to talk an uneducated customer into a lease!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Lol. Your predicament makes me think of watching those 1st time home buyers shows on HGTV. You know the ones with the young couple who wants a 3,500 sq ft. house with 3 car garage, finished basement, HUGE and prettily fenced back yard, big rooms, whirl pool hot tub baths in every room, crazy big walk in closets, and a kitchen with all stainless appliances and marble counter tops. All for under 200k. I always love the look on the real estate agent's face.
    Amen to that one. I was a Realtor for years...I already know that expression the agent gets.

Those buyers also wanted seller concessions, closing costs covered and will they put in a pool for us too?

OP, is a lease possible?
    MVHC has a large TB/Welsh for sale for $20k I think, if it hasn't sold yet. It's young, around 5 I think.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I sent a PM to OP
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Boy, it makes it harder to look for a pony if the customer is not willing to travel to see it. I guess they need to look locally which really limits the amount of ponies out there.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Indyana Guest

No, they do not want to lease--do not want to spend that amount of money for one year. I found them a super cute paint that did everything they want and had unrated show mileage, but my friend did not like color! Then I found a fancier one just a little bit out of their price range that had good show record from walk-trot through A rated children's, but wasn't "auto" enough and had preventative injection (1 time, according to seller, prior to show season) and they passed on that one too. Won't look at anything on the greener side, and kid probably not ready for that anyway. Thanks for your replies--I really am going to stop looking and let them shop on their own until they face reality!

Good plan. I am sure you have better ways of spending your time.

I had a MOM talk to me about a pony for her daughter. Daughter was w/t/c and going over small jumps, according to mom. I am always suspect when the moms start searching and make the calls. I called their trainer, and guess what.........kid was just able to do WALK classes!!!

Another MOM/trainer took a pony of mine on trial. When they tried pony here I could see that daughter could not post and steer at the same time. Mom/tr said, oh they had another kid that would be using him and was a great rider.
    Well, during trial time other kid was not around. So, my saint of a pony decided he would not trot with the kid. He was a smart pony, and knew the kid would fall off!!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

no pony expert here but why are they trying to buy the made 2'6-3 pony when it sounds like what they need now is the short stirrup pony? Kids progress at varies rates and grow at various rates so why not look for the nice short stirrup pony now and when ready trade up? Just a thought...

Its not just people shopping for ponies, I think its a lot of newbies in general. For example, I have seriously talked to about 5 people in the last month looking for "A-circuit quality horse that can pack around a course at 3'-3'6" and also bring a kid up all the way from cross rails, auto changes, super quiet, no vices, no health issues, under 12 years old, for under $10k". Not.even.joking. And as someone else mentioned it is mostly the moms that are doing the initial shopping. When I ask them to hand the phone over to trainer, I actually find out that they really just need a steady cross rail horse that would be capable of moving up to 2' in a year or so, NOT an A-circuit 3'-3'6" mount.