The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bott Eggs and Old Horse help.

I am part of an adopt-a-horse program where you can adopt an older horse that just needs some love, attention, grooming, etc. I got the cutest blind, 26 year old Tennessee Walking Horse named Bea. Today was the first day I took care of her, and so I just did some grooming, lots of loving, and a look over so I could tell if something wasn't right.

I have never had my own horse, never leased a horse and haven't even had to do a whole lot of work with older horses so I am feeling a little clueless about the whole thing.

One thing I did notice, she has a lot of bot eggs on her shoulders and legs. I have heard many different ways to get them off. One way was using Savlon? I have no idea what this is or where I could get it.

Also, if anyone has experience with older horses or blind horses and if you know of any other things I should check for or any recommendations/words of advice of any kind, please share!

Thanks so much!

I like the groomer's stone, such as the "slick and easy" grooming stone. They are about 4.00 at the tack/feed store. Sort of like a lava rock. You slide the stone the direction of the hair growth and it pulls out the bot eggs. I also like a bot egg knife, but if you have never used one before, you don't want to lean too hard and actually cut or gouge the horse.

Good for you to take on an oldster and give them some TLC. As to the blind part, I would think that talking to the horse so they can keep track of where you are would be a good idea.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

That was actually the reason I chose her! I like to talk to horses a lot so I knew she would enjoy it.

I haven't tried it yet, but I hear the nit combs you use for lice work really well. I usually dip/scrape them off in fly spray concentrate. You don't want them where another horse will pick them up.

But, I have been using Tractor Supply Horse and Pony fly spray and, except for the night I didn't fly spray my guys...no bot eggs! This stuff really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin Pie View Post
    I like the groomer's stone, such as the "slick and easy" grooming stone. They are about 4.00 at the tack/feed store. Sort of like a lava rock. You slide the stone the direction of the hair growth and it pulls out the bot eggs. I also like a bot egg knife, but if you have never used one before, you don't want to lean too hard and actually cut or gouge the horse.

Good for you to take on an oldster and give them some TLC. As to the blind part, I would think that talking to the horse so they can keep track of where you are would be a good idea.
    How hard do ou press with the stone? I have tried this and I am apparently groomers stone impaired. It does not work for me!

The stone needs to be totally free of dirt and dust and then you need to use some pressure to get the eggs off.

I rubbed some Swat on my guy's knees and it seems to work well. For some reason, the new farm I moved to has a huge problem with bot eggs.

Congratulations for giving this horse a new and wonderful life!

I use a bot knife but, they will cut the horse if too much pressure is applied.

Bot knives are on-sided and the best ones I have found are at Tractor Supply.

Bot eggs can be really hard to get off the insides of the legs and the ankle bones. I will often put a very warm & wet cloth on the eggs for a few seconds, then immediately scrape them off. The warm water tricks the eggs into thinking the horse is licking them so they release but once the moisture cools back down they somehow know to re-stick themselves.

Does your horse have a pasture companion? Oftentimes, if the horse is blind in both eyes, the pasture companion wears a bell so the blind horse always knows how to find its friend

That can be another horse, donkey, cow, even some goats will adapt to babysitting.

Thanks everyone! I think I will try the warm water trick and look into a trip to Tractor Supply for a bot knife and the horse & pony fly spray.

Funny you should mention that because she does have a companion! He is a 32 year old grey Arabian. Anytime I get her out he comes to the edge of the fence and just watches her until I am done grooming. Then, when I put her back in the pasture, I walk her back out to him so she is not lost. I usually give him a pat and tell him to take good care of her. They are really a precious couple. He doesn't have a bell, but they are always together. I think she has a strong woman's intuition!

If I remember correctly we used a cheap disposable razor, shaving in the direction of the hair growth. It took them off easily and very little chance of cutting the horse.

Christa

Who hasn't dealt with bots in a loonnng time - thank you ivermectin.

Just wanted to let everyone know I used the warm cloth and a disposable shaver and it worked wonderfully. She is now bot egg free and I don't think she has particularly noticed, but I feel much better.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the update. We have billions of bot eggs this year and they need to get gone too. And thank you for giving an old lady some love and attention. Some horses don't care, they'd rather just be a horse out in the field, but there are other ones that miss being brought in and groomed and going in "their" stall to eat and what not.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Disposable razor...works like a charm! I have only had to do it once but it worked great.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.