The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I could really use some jingles - Update post 12

I'm taking my JR, Noodle, to the vet tonight when I get off of work and I could use some good thoughts and jingles.

I noticed about 4 months ago, after I clipped her for the summer (she grows REALLY thick, wirey hair), that she had a very slight lump on each side of her back. She was not sore when I palpated them both quite hard and I assumed that they were just fat because she is quite chubby. I figured that I just hadn't noticed them over the winter due to her ridiculous amount of hair. I showed them to everyone in my family to get their thoughts and no one could feel "defined" lumps and assured me I was feeling fat or muscle. I do tend to become fixated on things and worry.

I took her to the vet about 2 weeks later for her annual vaccines and the vet didn't notice them when doing her physical exam. He ran his hands over her body, down both sides of her back, palpating away, etc. I didn't point them out specifically at that time and now I am really kicking myself for that. She has been her ever perky self since with no unusual behavior, so I pushed it to the back of my mind.

Fast forward to this week, and I swear that one of the lumps has become more pronounced and raised (my DH thinks I'm crazy). They are still not sore and she is acting her normal self. I decided to make an emergency appointment for tonight just to be on the safe side, but I have had this terrible feeling of dread since yesterday afternoon. After some frantic googling today I am convinced that it is her kidneys and I am freaking out!!

I lost my soul-dog, Elliot, about 3 months ago and I can not stand to lose another. I hope I am just being ultra-sensitive after what happened with him, but I am extremely worried. Some jingles at this time would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by acking01; Sep. 10, 2010 at 08:18 PM.

ooooooooooooooooooooooo.......many long and hard jingles for you and noodle (love the name).....i was in the same boat as you 2 weeks ago, crusty, sore to the touch "wat" thing appeared on my toy fox terrier's neck.......vet gave antibiotics and a steroid spray, said it it didn't resolve, it would be cut out.....he's fine!........and i hope the same goes for noodle.....my soulmate dog died not quite 2 yrs ago, and i,too, was fearful of another disaster with my little guy....

generally, if they are eating,drinking, pooping, you can feel pretty good about things...............

I have two dogs each 14 years old who have lots of "fatty tumors" especially on their sides. I have been told they are harmless. Don't panic...

Jingles from here that it is all just some fatty lumps.

jingles!!
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Jingles from the Florida owner of several "lumpy" dogs, all of which are just fatty tumor type things, all have been needle biopsied. Not very attractive, but harmless. One dog has had a few small mast cell tumors removed, we keep a closer eye on her as that can be a serious thing.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Default Jingles for Noodle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

Midwest Jingles for Noodle ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Sep. 10, 2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Thank you for the jingles, everyone. I really hope you are right about them being fat lumps.

I am worried that it is actually her kidneys being swollen and not fat or muscle.... You would think there would be a pain response, though, to all the poking and prodding I've been doing.

She has always been a really heavy drinker too. I am trying to breathe deeply and I hope to god that it's all in my head.

Jingles, and make sure you post an update. Good luck to Noodle and his mommy.

Definitely needle aspirate is in order

My dogs have had a number of fatty cysts over the years. If that is all they are, no worries. When I find them, I watch size, check to make sure edges are clean and fully encapsulated and not attached to underlying tissue.

If edges are not clean or feel like they might be attached to underlying tissue, off to the vet for aspirate/biopsy so I can sleep at night.

Well, she's fine and they are just fat pads. They did discover a few other minor things, though, so I'm definitely glad I brought her in. Let me tell you, I feel so much better!!

On an extremely sad note, while we were there a young guy (20ish) brought in a kitten that he had just seen someone THROW out of their car window into the middle of the road. This is a very busy road (8 lanes) and as soon as he saw the kitten hit the ground he pulled over, ran into the middle of the street and saved it. The poor thing had a very bloody face and was very weak. The vet said that they'll do everything they can to save the kitten.

I am always astounded that people can be so utterly cruel and it just makes me lose my faith in humanity. I was so angry and upset when I saw the kitten....... and then I looked at the kid and realized that there are still some great people in this world. I told him on the way out what a wonderful person he is.

Glad Noodle is fine ~ Jingles started for the kitten ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~ hoping the kitten's life will become "GOOD" & Safe now ~

yeah for noodle!!
    and kitty jingles

So happy that Noodles is okay. One of my JR's has the same fat pads so I was really worried when I started reading this.
    Praying for the kitty to make it, the guy who saved her to get a free pass to heaven & the guy who threw her out the window to get "accidently" dragged down the highway for about 20 miles....
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I'm so glad your JR is ok. We had a min pin rescue who had that same issue. It was so heroic of that guy to run into the road to save that kitten. Thank God there are people like him to balance out the monsters who throw kittens out of cars.

My son recently brought home two sick kittens he found in a ditch on the side of the road in rural Maine. There was no sign of the mother or any other kittens, and they were either tossed out or wandered through the woods from a filthy farm nearby. They have cost us nearly $700, both were sick with bacterial infections that didn't respond to the first round of antibiotics and they were diagnosed with Feline Leukemia, too.

Today they are doing well, living in quarantine in our house for whatever time they have, short or long. We take it day by day.

Jingles continue for Noodle and the kitten ~ bumping for an update ~