The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Cool The dance. (mature audiences in a Discovery Channel kind of way)

I am in the rare position today of supervising pasture breeding.

Wait--you're thinking--you're posting in the wrong forum!

But I'm not.

Watching these two dance, in the ancient courtship, MOVES me, and you see all the dressage movements there that raise the goosebumps on your arms.

I think it's why some of us just *yearn* for dressage, in a way we can't explain. It's so deeply ingrained in us to seek that exquisite beauty that is erotica, and strength, and passion, and love... and, honestly, perhaps that is some of the reward when we get there--to experience THAT height of relationship, of partnership, where the horse gives us those movements.

Spanish walk an invention? Nope. Watch a baroque stallion enticing his mare. Spanish trot too. One of his favorite things to do to show off his prowess is get extravagant with that front end.

The mare, for her part, in the slowest, loftiest passage on the planet. At times it seems her knees are up around her eyeballs, and her hind fetlocks could touch her belly. Tight in the back? Yeah. But otherwise correct. ROUND and uphill and just... <blissfulsigh> Tail is NOT up.

Flying changes abound. Every third, every second stride, just as simple as a thought. And of course as through and correct as one could ever wish--no HUMAN to interfere.

Necks are up and arched, noses tucked... Made me think that this is why even non-horse people respond to the 'dressage look' even when the horse is well behind the vertical or overbitted/overflexed... it's a gut sort of reaction, because this is how they present themselves when at the heights of their passion.

To call their displays beautiful does not do justice.

In this day and age of AI and frozen and mares never even meeting the sires of their foals, I wish that true horse lovers would get to see this just once in their lives.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

All that and no video?
    *Every horse is a self-portrait of the rider....Autograph your work with excellence.*
    Supporting Nokotas www.nokotahorse.org
    Lipizzan's rock! http://rigitta.blogspot.com/

Great post.

But darn you for getting Bloodhound Gang stuck in my head with the title!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Lovely post - wish I could have been there!

I was fortunate to watch a mustang stallion with his herd of mares a few summers in a row and I agree that the courtship of a stallion that knows his job is a beautiful thing to watch, there is no force but seduction and persuasion. He would leave the mare alone if she was not interested. He was a black dun very baroque with lots of hair and showed every air, every movement in the book, and more. And soft, elegant, proud.

no, no video, no photos.

Somehow it's too private to take photos. I thought about it. And perhaps, given more time, some photos of the courtship could be tastefully done.

I understand the rigors of training and the 'dangers' of live cover, but I do think we lose just a little bit.

Beautifully said.

My trainer says horses are "here" and then they think "there." The "how" they get there is emotion. Little emotion? a walk. A little more? a trot.

But a courtship dance? LOTS of emotion. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

For this to become the norm, our whole herd management technique would have to change. Remember that the stallion "learns" correct procedure by first being a colt within the herd. First, he has to have his head kicked in by a few older mares to teach him that mares need to be courted, not raped. Then, he has to establish his superiorty as a dominant male within the herd. After all that, only then will a mare "dance" with him, though sometimes a junior sire in the making will sneak a mare behind the haystack, so to speak, for a little experimentation.

Beautiful description.

Need video.

what is interesting is a lot of pony breeders let their stallions run with the mares. those stallions are SO MUCH happier and well adjusted! i hate that stallions are locked up never to touch a horse. pony folks even turn out colts together and stallions often are with geldings etc.

so much better for the horses!

ps i got goose bumps and chills reading the OP. superbly described!

Dressage is erotica? errrmmmm ok.

True Horse Lovers? See it once in their lives?

I'm just reminded of the old days when George the QH stud hated tall mares and when given the option, would whirl around and try to nail her- in the hooved sense of nail her. Sorry boys and girls, he liked 'em short and ugly he'd flirt with them, but the tall drinks of water? They needed human intervention in the form of stand her in a hole, boys!

My trainer says horses are "here" and then they think "there." The "how" they get there is emotion. Little emotion? a walk. A little more? a trot.

But a courtship dance? LOTS of emotion. So beautiful.
    Wow. Very interesting. What a beautiful and profound thought.

Angel, yes, my colts get to be HORSES. A family herd, then a bachelor herd, and then a grand old dame to teach them the ways of the world.

My Sr. stallion wants nothing more than to be with his family. I watched him, one year, do something he'd never done before, or since. When turned out for the first time with his long time 'wife' and her couple-week-old old son, he picked up a flat feed pan and flipped it. And put it down. And lifted it, and flipped it up and down again, then put it down. This went on for quite some time. He was QUITE intent on impressing and entertaining the young sprout.

He LOVES foals. He lets them chew on him, climb on him, and plays very gently. The sad day is when they are old enough to have to be separated, though these days I have the bachelor herd--including his son, an intact 4yo, and his other son, a gelded 6yo. They play like boys--lots of leg biting and bowing, and slow, graceful, controlled rearing at each other. Very, very, VERY rarely a mark on anyone.

The MARES, OTOH, are hell on wheels. Nasty, naty girls. FOOD is MINE, and God Forbid anyone looks sideways at me when I am eating!!!

The boys, OTOH, share food dishes and hay piles, and most often will be found all three on one dish or hay pile, with two or three other piles left... NOT the girls.

I know it's not practical, nor possible, for most stalions to live a 'normal' life. At my teachers, they are turned out next to each other, and can touch each other through the bars between stalls, but that is the limit. They are challenged intellectually enough that they seem to be quite content. My guy did develop some interesting 'sense of humour' habits during his 3 months there. At home he's got kids for chew toys, I guess.

And yes, I DO think that part of the universal appeal of dressage is erotica. I think that it is universal unconscious--the raised, arched neck, the lofty, cadenced steps... I think it appeals to something we can't necessarily identify.

But you know it when you see it.

And somehow, as much as I would love to share the drama, the passion... I just don't think video is appropriate. Photos, perhaps. If I could figure out how to use the borrowed camera. We'll see what i can figure out tonight. If she's still interested, they dance again tomorrow.

Personally, I've always felt the sight of horses breeding was proof positive that god has a terrific sense of humor.

Take the most elegant looking creature on the planet and make it look absolutely silly.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

And yes, I DO think that part of the universal appeal of dressage is erotica. I think that it is universal unconscious--the raised, arched neck, the lofty, cadenced steps... I think it appeals to something we can't necessarily identify.
    Err, Oh Kay.

So when you supervise, do you hand out ciggies after or what?

PS Do you have a new PRE stallion? Where are the photos?

I didn't say actually DOING THE DEED.

Just the courtship.

Eggs, just a bebe, not a stallion yet. Pics when he comes Nawth. Or maybe in three years or so. Iberians are NOT PRETTY during growth.