The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default the horror movie inside my hay shed (biiig scorpion)

So I have a not-so-little desert hairy scorpion living inside my hay shed, and I want it to relocate or die. You can Google desert hairy scorpions.

I've seen it twice, which is two times too many. The first time, I picked up one of the horse's buckets from the floor, and it sauntered out and disappeared under a pallet. (Note to self: Do NOT move/clean under pallets until the fall. At least. And fall may be January this year.) That was a few months ago.

Last night, I moved the garbage cans around, and there under one of the cans is a big pile of loose dirt, and a big hole in the ground, which had *it* sitting at the entrance to the hole. I think it's living there. I looked around me for something heavy/solid enough to drop on top of it to squish it, but didn't have anything.

I have a shovel, but it was kind of in the corner, not easy to reach, and while I know they don't jump or fly or run at you stinging, in MY mind, I just KNOW if I whack it with the shovel and miss, it's gonna come straight at me like some nuclear brain-eating zombie scorpion from Planet Mars.

So I've been Googling "killing scorpions," etc. Not much appears to kill them. I'm worried about trying to spray anything chemical, because it's also right by the horses' stored hay. I'm planning to stop by the hardware store tonight to ask for scorpion-killing solutions. But, in the meantime, do the COTH members have any words of wisdom?? I can't believe a search on "killing desert hairy scorpions" actually returned a Wiki page on keeping them as pets. LOL. Ummm, NO.

Maybe I should tell someone the next time I'm "going in," so if I don't reappear in a reasonable amount of time, they'll come looking for me....
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

sprinkle some DE down its hole?
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Thanks--I Googled DE and scorpions, and some people claim it might work. The only reason I don't want to spray something is because of the horses' hay and feed being right there. Otherwise, it'd be fine with me if it died a horrible toxic chemical death! Stuff to sprinkle on the ground (such as the DE idea) sounds like a good place to start. My hay shed ain't big enough for the both of us, so we've got to have a showdown, and I've got to win! Or maybe I'll get lucky and get a clean shoot, as it were, at getting it with the shovel next time.
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:

Wear a hammer through one of your belt loops. Next time you see it, pretend it's a nail and smack it.
    I promise you it won't chase you after getting smacked hard with a hammer.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

It's about 4" long, this scorpion, so I'd need an awfully big hammer. I have no trouble dispatching the little ones! But this one would likely grab the hammer from me and hit my toe with it while simultaneously stinging me.
    Visit him on Facebook:

We used to live in the mountains and there were scorpions under every rock you cared to lift, black and the more deadly yellow ones.
    Once we counted over 40 little ones under one flat rock.

It was standard never to run around without ankle high footwear and you shaked them off before putting them on, EVERY time.

Adults took care of them by grabbing them with the fire place tongs and smashing them.
    Kids were not to touch them, ever and we didn't.

You need some of those in strategic places and if you see one, grab it and get it were you can "dispose of it properly", as you read on the bottom of disposables:

http://www.gemplers.com/shop/cleanup-tools

That is what I use for insects and rattlers, when I need to relocate them.

This is totally not helpful, but it may give you courage, or nightmares. When I was living in CA, at China Lake, I saw a dude bring a HUGE yellow scorpion in a gallon suntea jar (sucker filled it up) into the clinic. I don't know why he had that scorpion in that jar or how he got it there, but damn he was proud.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

But this one would likely grab the hammer from me and hit my toe with it while simultaneously stinging me.
    I hate it when that happens!

(such a mental image, LMAO)

Okay, how about a pellet gun? Tap dancing draft? Acme Anvil?

My brother used to have "pet" scorpions...other than those we really don't have scorpion issues in CT.

How about a meerkat? I've seen them eat scorpions on Animal Planet.
    However those also seem really hard to keep alive according to their show. All they do is eat, shag and drop dead from snake bites, freezing to death or eaten when young.

How does anything with fur freeze to death in a desert anyways?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    How about a meerkat? I've seen them eat scorpions on Animal Planet.
    However those also seem really hard to keep alive according to their show. All they do is eat, shag and drop dead from snake bites, freezing to death or eaten when young.

How does anything with fur freeze to death in a desert anyways?
    I've wanted a pet meerkat ever since I saw them in Ranger Rick when I was... much younger than I am now...
    That show (meerkats coupled with being narrated by a hobbit) is one of my favorites.

Good luck with the scorpion... that would be an advantage to living in a climate where we have frozen ground and snow more than we have nice weather...
    -Jessica

I've got a feeling they don't come in ones - like rats, there is always more of them. My very sincere wishes for success to you.

I love B.C. I love B.C. I love B.C.

Why, why did I google desert hairy scorpion. I'm going to have nightmares for weeks. I would move. Can you move? I think it's the only option.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!

Google's new instant search thing = not such a good idea.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Oh. My. God.

I AM NOT GOOGLING. Just the description is enough. I keep getting the shivers.

THIS is why I love snow. Snow and winter and ice and cold and snow and...

There is NO weather that makes it worth bugs like that.

Is it even a bug?

I mean, we have lobsters, but at least they are good with butter... (but I can't really LOOK at them.)
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Another totally not helpful story, we lived in the woods and there are smaller scorpions that like to hide in the woodpile. Well one dark and stormy night DH came back inside with an armload of wood and scorpion.

He did the best "get it off me" dance I've seen to date, and can shriek louder than a steam whistle. Boy did I laugh.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I absolutely loved my visit to Tucson, Arizona, since I'd never been there before, but was given this litttle gem: "Everything here pricks, stings or bites."

I love B.C., etc.

Yep, pretty much everything in the desert wants to hurt you.

I didn't manage to stop at the hardware store last night, but I will tonight. I do have a name of a poison/sprinkle chemical that *may* work. But basically, there isn't much else to do unless I'm able to kill it directly. Like cockroaches, these things will be here long after us humans are gone. They can apparently live underground in the dirt for up to nine months; so why can't this one just STAY underground? Oh, and the "good" news is scorpions are lone creatures, so it's highly unlikely there are more of them in there.

Pintopiaffe, no, I don't think I could cook this thing up with some lemon and butter! I don't *do* lobster (looks too much like Klingon food to me--and I can't get past that to enjoy the taste), anyway. They sure do look like meaner, uglier, smaller lobsters, though.

I figured if nobody here had any other solutions, at the very least, I could entertain/horrify you all.
    Visit him on Facebook:

de should work on any insect - puts minute scratches in the exoskeleton and they dessicate
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

how about a havaheart trap? sounds like a beast that needs to be relocated.

Will NOT google. nononononono!

You need a mongoose.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Glue boards ? http://diybugstore.com/catchmaster_g...FUHt7Qodhho2IQ baited with crickets.

http://www.scorpiontraps.com/wp-cont...es-300x225.jpg
    "The standard scorpion recipes are relatively easy to handle and can often be made in under ten minutes. The traditional ingredients include brandy, rum, syrup, sugar, lemon juice and orange juice. Mix the combination together with the right amounts and pour into a bowl or large glass and you have yourself the perfect cocktail. Other variations include multiple types of rum, some include mixtures of fruit such as pineapple and cherries, and others add more alcohol such as gin and vodka among others. This has what given the drink the name scorpion in the first place – it is lethal and deadly. These drinks are usually larger in scale and the alcohol content makes it easy to share with more than one person."
    ... _. ._ .._. .._