The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eventers are Nuts!

After watching this fund raising video for the Australian WEG eventing team, that's the conclusion I've reached. Even eventing dressage looks wild and wooly!

http://vimeo.com/14684763
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

That was well put together. I probably would have gone without the Devo "Whip It" segment though for PR purposes.

That random leap crap around the 4:31 mark is my mare's favorite move when she's mad.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Got a laugh out of the opening photo on there...took me a second to realize there was indeed a rider on that horse. Well, at least there was a boot sticking up over the saddle.

Yep, eventers have gonads/ovaries of steel and so do their horses.
    I give them all major kudos for being as bold and fit as they are.
    However...xcountry gives me the heebie jeebies watching it. Although there weren't any horses injured in that video...I only watched part of it and counted about 35 very potential leg breaking or life threatening falls/misses/slips...etc.
    The solid jumps...just worry me too much in regards to equine safety.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Sorry had to turn it off. Makes me sick to see horses hurt like that. At what point does it go beyond gutsy into just plain abusive and stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Sorry had to turn it off. Makes me sick to see horses hurt like that. At what point does it go beyond gutsy into just plain abusive and stupid?
    Apparently at the point where you fail to pay attention to the disclaimer at the beginning saying no horses or riders were injured?
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Great video! Good, honest eventing horses are worth their weight in gold and I loved how genuine that grey horse was.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Honestly? I watched the whole thing, and kind of felt this way too. Not looking to get flamed - I was a little-bitty low-level eventer back in the day, so I do understand the joys of the sport. But I felt bad for some of these horses. Just my $0.02.
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man

I used to work for/ride with Kadi Eykamp, and let me tell you, it's not just crazy (although they are! ), but lots of skill, determination, training, fitness, and knowledge! I wish I had the guts to do it, because there is nothing more fun galloping off cross country!
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Eventing is something I've always considered as the Holy Grail of Equestrian Sports. Really....I'd never have the guts. However...I also know, while I might have one day WANTED to try low level...(even, as I said, I'd still probably never have the guts) the highest levels, and the things asked of the horses, no matter how 'brave' the rider is, is something I couldn't do. And, no...I do NOT believe the disclaimer at the front...maybe no horses died, but I do not believe some of those errors/falls/crashes didn't injur some of those horses.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I loved the jumping in and out of the dressage ring! It was one of those It's a 6ft oxer dangit! I'm always amazed at the show jumping, they can jump the chuck wagon but forget the cross rails. Wonderfully put together video though I too think the whip it should be edited out but I'm not a fan of using crops at all. (Mostly cause I suck with them.)
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Yeah I saw the cute little disclaimer. And I thought it was more than likely BS. Some of those falls were nasty, and there is NO way those horses weren't sore, stiff, and achey for days, at the very least.

Accidents happen to everyone but I think the thrill of the adrenaline rush pushes people to ask too much of horses at times. And yes I know this is true in EVERY discipline. Certainly isn't limited to Eventers.

And stadium jumping doesn't bother me nearly as much because the fences aren't solid and they can fall. They aren't galloping down hills and leaping off cliffs.

I do enjoy watching the lower level eventing and think it would be a blast. But the upper level stuff just seems over the top ridiculous to me. Especially when the horses stumbled or refused and the rider goes to whipping them. And yeah - whipping. Not just a single smack for an obvious misbehavior, which I absolutely support (and have done on ocassion). That was some definite whipping in that video out of anger, and in my opinion was abusive.

But, whatever. That's only one person's opinion. Everybody else has their own.

I hope you know that solid fences usually are safer than the ones that fall, no pick up sticks to get between legs.

I bet your endurance horses are also sore and stiff after a 100 miler...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

anyone know who the rider was clinging upside down to their horses's head??? that was hilarious... and I want to know how long it takes to dry out your boots after you take a drink in one of those water complexes. Also two thumbs up to the horse that very neatly put their rider adn only their rider in the ditch.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

or the one that ducked under and left him hanging?

I also liked the one running to the jump judge "help me he is mean too me"

I don't really understand why this is a good video to use for fundraising. Why would you only show stadium jumps where the rails are coming down?!

And I agree, many of those falls were very dangerous (especially those when the music switched to "Another One Bites the Dust"); it is lucky no one was hurt.

I ride at an eventing barn, and used to do low level eventing as a teenager. This video put me off.

This is also posted under the Eventing forum...

For the non eventers... it may be worth it to mention that this footage is compiled from over 20 years in the sport. Just like any other, our eventing has mutated and changed since then.

I'm not saying it's the world's greatest fundraising video (although to a non horsey crowd... maybe??) But it was made for the Aussie team and I don't really understand Aussies much either
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    anyone know who the rider was clinging upside down to their horses's head??? that was hilarious... and I want to know how long it takes to dry out your boots after you take a drink in one of those water complexes. Also two thumbs up to the horse that very neatly put their rider adn only their rider in the ditch.
    If you can right yourself without touching the ground you can continue on through the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie4Bar View Post
    That random leap crap around the 4:31 mark is my mare's favorite move when she's mad.
    My mare loves to do that too. Sends my flying every time! I enjoyed eventing when I was younger, but I just don't bounce well enough anymore to try it now.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

I did enjoy the video but wondered why show so many mistakes and falls to raise money? Why would anyone want to give money to such "poor riders"? Some horses, I think, were ready to get even with their riders!

they need more lessons, don't you see?!