The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Previous barn owner will not return blankets

Moved to a new boarding barn about 3 weeks ago. Having issues with previous barn owner returning winter blankets (2 heavy winter blankets, 2 turnout sheets, lycra slinky, and a cooler). She said via email that she was going to drop them off at my new barn but hasn't done so yet. I have called and emailed her offerring to meet her somewhere and get them but have had no response. Not sure what to do now....

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

IIWM I'd drop by the old barn & pick up the blankets myself.
    Perhaps call first so they can be made available for pickup?

If that fails you may want to kiss those blankets b'bye.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

They are at her house and I don't know the address...

Well then - again: IIWM I'd send one last email/phone call asking for the blankets to be brought to the barn so you can pick them up there at your convenience.

Then tell yourself she obviously does not intend to return them & be done with it.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Well then - again: IIWM I'd send one last email/phone call asking for the blankets to be brought to the barn so you can pick them up there at your convenience.

Then tell yourself she obviously does not intend to return them & be done with it.
    Uh, that's called stealing. I most definitely would not be done with it. Maybe send her a certified letter stating that she will either drop off your blankets by X date or owe you X dollars for the value of your blankets?
    People suck.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

What does your boarding contract state, and what is the address.
    Send a certified letter if you have an address(boarding barn should have a 911 address). Or you can send a package via ups or fed ex to the barn if they don't have a usps address.

State that you need and want the blankets back. State value(new) and ask her to contact you via email or phone to arrange a pick up.

If she is unable to do so, I would consider filing a small claims.

Even if you owe her money, this is no way to conduct business, and too many think that no one will bother following up and kiss them good bye. It will cost money to file, but I think you might be able to get that back if you win.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

If you have her phone number you could try a reverse phone look-up to get her address.

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    What does your boarding contract state, and what is the address.
    I believe in another thread OP said there was no contract. Also I have signed a few boarding contracts over the years and none of them addressed blankets or tack in anyway.

OP- I would stop at the barn at a time you know BO will be there and address it then in person to set up a time to pick-up the blankets from her. Set up the time within 7 days. If possible bring a witness. If she back out or no-shows then send a certified letter and file in small claims court for replacement value.

People sometimes get busy too. Its not blanket season yet either, she might not realize you are in such a hurry to get them. How long has it been since you left her a message? did you leave more than one? Sometimes cell phone mess up, things come up, ect.? She might have just been waiting until she goes to that side of town for something...

You know by boarding with her if she was a crook or not? If you think she is a crook, send her the certified letter. If she is a reasonable person-leave her another message stating you need to get them by such and such date (within a week)

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post

You either make a lot more $$ than the average person or you don't stand up for yourself very well.....you seem awfully quick to just kiss off 4 blankets and a slinky. Considering the average cost of a decent mid-range quality heavy winter blanket, the cost of these 4 blankets could easily exceed 5 - 6 hundred at $150 each for the heavies, $100 each for the sheets, and the cost of the slinky.

That's a lot of money to just write off, so unless there is more to this story then the BO owes the ex-boarder some money or blankets.

OP - how long of a time frame are we talking here? Days or weeks from contact? Is the BO someone who would actually attempt to keep them and ignore you, or is this just an issue of her not realizing how much you want them back *now* vs in a couple months?

Chill. It's only 3 weeks. If she's anything like me and completely swamped with life in general, returning an ex-boarder's blankets may not exactly be at the top of her list, especially if she has to return them to a different barn and make a trip. She's not necessarily stealing them, she may well have just not got around to it.

I had someone leave a pillow at a house I rent out and it took me close to 5 months to return it because it involved a trip to the post office.

You can easily find her address if you really wanted to - do a reverse search on www.whitepages.com or look up the tax records (online) under her name and get her address that way. Having said that, I would just leave another very nice message on her phone saying that you don't want to put her out, so you would be perfectly happy to swing by the barn to pick up the blankets, and when would be a good time.

I understand what people are saying about it not being blanket season yet and it only being 3 weeks. However it will be sheet time at night soon for many horses.

Why were the blankets at her house instead of being at the barn anyway?

Kate66- a renter accidently leaving something behind and you having to go out of your way to return it is a bit different than the OP not having access to her items that are worth more than a pillow to be able to take them with her when she left.

It sounds like the OP has left multiple messages and sent multiple emails that have been ignored. OP indicated that she would be willing to meet BO somewhere to pick them up. You would think that the BO would realize that it is important to OP to get them back now. Ignoring the emails and phone calls is just rude anyway.

Why can't BO just call back OP and say- hey I brought your blankets back to the barn and OP needs to stop by the barn to pick them up. Bringing the blankets to the barn that she presumably goes to on a daily basis should not be an inconvenience.

Old BO is being completely disrespectful and imo, stolen the blankets. I believe I'd go the route of a certified letter.

Don't give up yet. Call every day, email every day, ask her politely but insistently to come to an agreed-upon plan for returning the blankets.

If that fails, I'd show up at the barn when you know she's there and again make it known you want your stuff and you have no intention of letting it go. You can start making noise about small claims court and the local BBB at that point as well, but (see below) it may not get you anywhere in the end.

Whether or not you are made of money, I certainly can see where people are coming from when they say "brace yourself for not getting your stuff back" because IME the horse world has probably slightly more than its share of subhumans.
    Click here before you buy.

I don't understand why the former BO would be expected to deliver them to you. Why didn't you take all your gear when you left?

same happened to me with a show coat AND a blanket. after a show, i kept a borrowed show pad. they asked for it back, and i said we could trade. haven't heard back since...

Exactly - why on earth should the former
    barn owner deliver the blankets to you?
    I can understand bringing them back to the original
    barn, but personally, my time is more valuable than
    that.

Why is she keeping the blankets at her house at all, and not the barn? I assume she goes to her barn regularly, just ask her to put them in a spot you know and you'll pick them up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    hether or not you are made of money, I certainly can see where people are coming from when they say "brace yourself for not getting your stuff back" because IME the horse world has probably slightly more than its share of subhumans.
    TYVM, DW
    No, I am no way wealthy, and I understand blankets cost $$.
    But the Still Small Voice tells me there is another side to this story & OP came here wanting a backbone installed.
    Why on earth would all that equipment be at the BO's house & not at the barn?
    Why would OP not inventory her stuff before moving?
    I can understand missing one or two small things, but that is a lot of large items to not get packed.

Sorry, I smell fish...
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

Look, here's how this probably goes (and I don't even have boarders and live on my farm).

Blankets are the bane of my existence. They a big, bulky, take up space and are very difficult to store. They are probably at her house because they won't gather huge amounts of dust, they are out of the way and the mice won't get into them and reproduce!

So imagine some back room at her house with hundreds of blankets, sheets, hoods, etc. She knows they are in thee somewhere, but has no idea where. Nor is she sure she can pick yours out without opening every. last. bag.

So, if you really want your blankets back and would like to not burn a bridge over it, here's what I would do:

"Hey old BO, it is obvious that getting my blankets out of storage is a giant pain. It's occurred to me that they are likely difficult to get to right now and you are busy. So, what can I do to help? Or, when are you likely to start breaking all of them out for the season? I don't want to be a pain, I just need to know what shape they are in in case they need some attention before I actually need to use them this year. I am happy to pick them up wherever is easiest for you. Thanks so much."

This approach will hopefully open the dialog and you will learn what is going on. If she says that in a week or 2 she's going to get all of them out, it's easy enough to wait. If she still is being a PITA, then you've tried to be nice and failed, so escalation is necessary.

But really try to understand, the cleaning, storing and unstoring of blankets for more than a horse or two is a giant pain. Work with her for best results.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com