The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default dressage in Colorado Springs area?

A friend of mine is moving to Colorado Springs where her hubby just got a job - the pictures she took while there are awesome! I've threatened to stow-away in her moving van!

What's the dressage scene like there? Any trainer recommendations?

It depends on where in Colorado Springs you are. I know of several; I train with two- though I am a newbie so I don't show much yet. I love my trainers

We just had our champioships last weekend. You might take a peek at the local GMO

There are a few other people from Colorado and the Springs area that can probably fill you in more.

I really do love it here fwiw...as a newbie to dressage I am realizing that the dressage community here seems to be really nice and helpful and I have learned a lot in the year or so I have been doing dressage (I have done jumpers and eq over fences mostly before)- and I really am enjoying it more than I thought partially as a result of the people I have met.
    My blog:

RAWR

There is a great deal of dressage in this area. There are a number of coaches depending on where she is, what her goals are, how far she wants to travel, etc.

www.rmds.org is a good place to start. As well as csdressage.org A great many trainers are not listed.

Feel free to pm me

I was in the Colorado Springs area a while back for a course and I met a lot of dressage riders. I was interrested by how friendly and welcoming everyone was and how many german instructors there are as well as how many clinicians visit. Also appeared to have a good mix of baroque/classical trainers and more competitive ones and some that did both. I think its a great area for a dressage rider to move to but of course I have not seen the snow.

Thanks for the responses!

I've been contemplating job opportunites there since I've seen photos And now that I've heard that there's a dressage scene there, and I'll have a friend there to visit...

I love the southwestern feel, but was really surprised how much grass was there. Co Sprgs website says it is an "alpine desert". I heard they didn't get nearly the snow volume as Denver.

I could deal with some white fluffy stuff in exchange for a more temperate summer. I've lived all over the US but has been a LONG time since I delt with snow.

The humidity in the South is kicking my butt!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I love the southwestern feel, but was really surprised how much grass was there. Co Sprgs website says it is an "alpine desert". I heard they didn't get nearly the snow volume as Denver.
    One thing to be aware of living in the Springs is that yes, it is arid. Do we get more snow than Denver??? Depends on the storm; sometimes we get tons and Denver gets nothing or vice versa.

Climate varies greatly depending on where you choose to live. What is fondly referred to around here as the 'banana belt' (the south side of town... Security/Widefield/Fountain) is much more temperate than the north side of town (Briargate/Black Forest).

I can get 12" of snow on the north side of town (and not even as far north as Black Forest) while the sound end will get only rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
    One thing to be aware of living in the Springs is that yes, it is arid. Do we get more snow than Denver??? Depends on the storm; sometimes we get tons and Denver gets nothing or vice versa.

I can get 12" of snow on the north side of town (and not even as far north as Black Forest) while the sound end will get only rain.
    I lived in Los Angeles for almost 10 years, so arid is good - especially after living in the swamplands of MS!

I've also lived in Michigan / Ohio and don't want to be in the 6-month-winter-snow-gloom again. But since my friend is moving to Co Springs in November, I'll let her test it out and see what the winter is like!

Thanks for the help, I'll pass this along to her.

I used to live south of Denver,and I think Debbie Rheil Rodriguz[I probably butchered her name]lives in Colorado Springs.
    She would come to the barn I was at to teach,I thought she was really good,I always came away from my lesson with a very clear understanding of what we need to do.
    There are some really good trainers in the Denver area,Dolly Hannon,is wonderful,but she is way up in Boulder.
    If you want to give an event rider [who is a very good dressage rider and teacher]a shot,find out if Lindy Weatherford comes down your way,I really can not say enough good things about her.
    Good luck,there are a lot of very good people in the area,and it is a fun place to live,just to cold for me!