The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default winter blanket that can stay on to certain warmer temps?

Am I making this up, or is there such a thing?

Kensington Supermesh Winter Turnout Blanket is rated at -10 to 60 degrees.

http://www.kensingtonproducts.com/pr...20blanket.html

Define "winter blanket" and "warmer temps"

A breathable blanket can be left on in warmer temps than non-breathable. I never, ever buy anything not breathable, not even a stable sheet.

A medium weight breathable blanket CAN be on when it's 60 and cloudy and breezy if the horse isn't running around all the time, but it's not something I'd purposefully do. It's happened, just because the blanket HAD to be on and I couldn't get there soon enough to get it off - shoulders were a little damp but horses were no worse for the wear.

But if you're talking about a 30* morning with a high of 70*+, then no, I wouldn't leave the blanket on - would rather have a cooler horse in the first hours than a hot one in the later ones.

Call me crazy, but my mare really does well with just a TO sheet I'd say 80% of the time. Even when it's really cold, as long as she has something to simply block the wind and keep her dry, she really does well even without an insulated blanket. Now, when it gets down to like -20F windchills and such, I'll switch to insulated blankets. But otherwise, she does ok in just her sheet in a pretty wide range of temps.

She's unclipped, so that probably makes a difference somewhat as well. If she was clipped I'd be swapping blankets more often.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Define "winter blanket" and "warmer temps"

A breathable blanket can be left on in warmer temps than non-breathable. I never, ever buy anything not breathable, not even a stable sheet.

A medium weight breathable blanket CAN be on when it's 60 and cloudy and breezy if the horse isn't running around all the time, but it's not something I'd purposefully do. It's happened, just because the blanket HAD to be on and I couldn't get there soon enough to get it off - shoulders were a little damp but horses were no worse for the wear.

But if you're talking about a 30* morning with a high of 70*+, then no, I wouldn't leave the blanket on - would rather have a cooler horse in the first hours than a hot one in the later ones.
    I completely agree. I've had the same experiences with med-weight blankets and warm weather. Horses were a little sweaty, but nobody was dying. I, too, would rather them be naked than in a blankie and sweating.

For cool nights like those coming up here in the NE I'd put on a baker sheet - plenty of additional coze but breatheable in the morning sun until can be taken off.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    I'm curious to hear from anyone who's actually left their horse outside in a Bucas Power Turnout, either light or all in one, in 60+ degree temps. I just lucked into a Power Turnout for my fella and it is SO HEAVY. I can't imagine it's comfortable up to 59 degrees as the advertising claims. And I am not a blanket hypochondriac--my horse has accidentally found himself in 58-degree weather wearing a regular, breathable mediumweight turnout and he was fine. But this Bucas must be double the fill/weight of that mediumweight turnout!

I read one report on this forum of a horse who was running around like a maniac in 60-degree weather in a Bucas turnout (can't remember which one) and the horse came in bone dry. His horsey buddy in the Rambo was dripping in sweat.

Anybody else?

I have the Power Turnout sheet and I really like it. I bought it to make it easier for our barn helpers. This way they only had to have one blanket, not a blanket and a sheet. Weather in N. Texas is so inconsitent...it can be in the 20's at night with wind and go all the way up to the 60s in the day. I like it a lot. When it was cold, he was toasty warm and if it got warm in the day and somebody forgot to take it of, he wasn't sweating.