The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much do you pay for a farm sitter?

How much do you pay for a farm sitter to come to you 2 times a day? Feed am/pm, turnout in the morning, clean stalls, and bring in in the evening. I'm trying to determine what a reasonable rate to pay would be for 3 horses while I'm on vacation. Thanks!

Depending on how far away, I would charge somewhere between $30 and $40/day.

I never go out of town, but I've been getting $50 a day to farm sit. Granted, that's generally a place with about a dozen horses and 8 dogs, and I stay on the farm overnight.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I charge between $50 to $75 a day, depending on if I am giving medications or treatments or not. Looking after 40+ horses (6 stallions inside on rotational turnout, the rest full turnout), and 6 dogs. I'm there for about 90 minutes in the morning, an hour in the afternoon, and about 2 hours later at night. I also swing in around 10 or 11pm for a nightcheck.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

$25 per visit. So, for the horses (2x day) plus dogs (1 additional visit per day), I'm paying $75/day.

Really depends on your location, how far you are from the sitter, and what expertise you're looking for in a sitter. It could be anywhere from $50/day to $150/day.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I pay $15 per visit & usually ask for 2 visits per day.

But my 2 horses are out 24/7 so mainly farmsitter tosses hay into stalls (stalls are open for free access), grain into buckets & refills water as needed.
    Horses know the drill & stall themselves for feeding, so no turn-out/turn-in is needed

She also feeds barncat and chickens & takes home eggs.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I pay $25/day to throw hay to three horses, two times a day, and feed pre-measured grain and supplements on one of their visits. My horses can go in and out as they please, and someone else does the stalls.

MIne just come in to eat, get flysprayed and go out, so there are no stalls to do. So she just has to feed the 5 horses 2x a day and the dogs once.
    If she spends the night it's $50 a night, if not it's $40 a day
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

$20 per visit for 3 horses, so $40 a day. In the AM she brings them in, feeds, fills water buckets and hay bags. PM feeds, turns them out, cleans stalls and dumps water buckets. Throws cat food to the kitties. I'm set up so that it is about as easy as it gets. Even with cleaning the stalls you can be in and out in less than 15-20 minutes. She lives 5 minutes away.

My daughter costs us about $35,000/year and took care of the horses for me when I took a 2-week vacation.

Maybe it'll be less next year after she graduates.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

We just fed 2 sets of friend's horses for 4 feedings. They're neighbors who usually feed for each other, but both were going out of town for the weekend to different horse shows. They live about 15 miles from us and it took about 45 minutes to do chores at night, 30 min in the am (outside horses only fed once a day). Of course they wouldn't hear of us just doing it as a favor. They stopped by the next day with a check for $80, so basically $20 a trip. I thought that was more than adequate, since they were so easy to take care of and honestly would have been happy to do it for free.

My daughter recently took care of 2 ponies and 2 cats. She did 3 trips a day: morning feeding, t/o and mucking, evening turn in and feeding, night check and she was paid $30 a day.

I think farm sitting services are ridiculously high! If you have 20+ horses that need be caught, brought in, turned out, stalls cleaned, ect. Then yeah 30-50 is reasonable. If you are just tossing hay and putting grain in feeders-not having to actually touch any horses, That is just ridiculous. It takes me 30 mins to feed 9 horses and check water. I fed 13 horses for a friend, caught them all, moved them, cleaned 4 stalls, filled water buckets, fed cats and dogs and it took all of 55 mins.

Your asking about 3 horses-how long does it take you to take care of them? I would leave them out 24/7 with instructions to only bring in if its pouring down rain-that would make it even quicker! And I think they would be just fine getting rained on too.

Seriously how much do people pay a day to board their horse? and thats with you supplying, the feed and bedding!

Quote Originally Posted by Lmabernathy View Post
    I think farm sitting services are ridiculously high! If you have 20+ horses that need be caught, brought in, turned out, stalls cleaned, ect. Then yeah 30-50 is reasonable. If you are just tossing hay and putting grain in feeders-not having to actually touch any horses, That is just ridiculous. It takes me 30 mins to feed 9 horses and check water. I fed 13 horses for a friend, caught them all, moved them, cleaned 4 stalls, filled water buckets, fed cats and dogs and it took all of 55 mins.

Your asking about 3 horses-how long does it take you to take care of them? I would leave them out 24/7 with instructions to only bring in if its pouring down rain-that would make it even quicker! And I think they would be just fine getting rained on too.

Seriously how much do people pay a day to board their horse? and thats with you supplying, the feed and bedding!
    It's not the time (and fuel) involved, it's the peace of mind knowing you can leave and your animals will be taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by CaffeineAddict View Post
    How much do you pay for a farm sitter to come to you 2 times a day? Feed am/pm, turnout in the morning, clean stalls, and bring in in the evening. I'm trying to determine what a reasonable rate to pay would be for 3 horses while I'm on vacation. Thanks!
    50.00 a day for 14 horses. They are left out. If the weather is nice they pasture feed, if nasty they have to bring the horses in and clean stalls. If the weather is nice the whole time they make out really well as it does NOT take long to pasture feed. If there are days they have to come in then the workload evens out that some days they have to clean stalls/do more for their money and some days they are done in a jiffy. To feed and turn out is 30 min, pick stalls/bring horses in and feed about 2 hours....so on the bad days that is 50 bucks for 2.5 hours of work...still 20 bucks and hour so they are doing OK in bad weather too! We use our farrier's wife who is a stay at home mom and likes to make a few extra bucks here and there.The farriers wife does not know the individual horses as well as our farrier/ he has been doing em for years...in the event of a problem she can call her hubby that knows the horses really well. They have a couple trail horses of their own at home as well/she is "horsey".

$100.00 a day to come feed/hay/water twice (11 head ) plus clean five stalls ~~~ this was five years ago ~ so I imagine it would be more now,,, did not stay over night in the house just went to horse property. Usually $50.00 for night feeding chores if we are going out or to a football game...
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Sep. 10, 2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: change correction
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

F

Rates for Petsitting are determined by distance and time but most have a standard rate. My bus.rates are determined by the hour not halk hour as a lot of companies do. Package rate

am\$20.00
    pm\ $15.00
    late nightvisit \$20.00
    total $55.00

Single rate $25.00
    ovr nite $65.00
    ovr nite horses $100.00
    Check your vet and local pet sitting companies
    I do not have a a per animal limit but the work has to be able to be completed with in the hour after and hour it is $15.00 An hour

I still think the whole farm sitting thing is over rated.

I mean what if something does happen, all they are going to do is call you. What if a horse has a mild colic, Do they even know how to recognize a mild colic? Are they going to walk the horse for you? charge you extra for it? blow it all out of porportion and have you call the vet to come out and have you rush home? What if a fence breaks? Can they actually fix it-including you paying them extra (their time and materials)? or are you going to have to hire someone else to do it? or come home and do it yourself?

No offense to boarders, but if they haven't kept horses themselves before, they blow things out of porportion all the time. OMG my horse has a crack in her foot, the farrier has to come out right now on Sat afternoon. Me-umm, thats just superficial-see it doesn't go all the way through the hoof wall, she will be fine until Mon when the farrier is already scheduled to be here. OMG my horse is colicing, she's rolling right now. Me: Did she shake when she got up? She's just dust bathing, she's fine. Me: your horse is lame, she's bobbing her head at the trot. OMG I didn't even notice! I know their heart is in the right place and god bless em for it, but some things you have to have experience to know. Do these pet sitters have their own farms too? I would def check their experience level!!!

For 3 horses at these prices you can have them boarded somewhere else and come out cheaper. And have a lot more piece of mind, someone else is going to fix the fence at no charge to you ;-)

Seriously if you pay $50 day to care for three horses, you are paying 16.66 for each horse. That is equivilant to 500 a month board each! AND you wouldn't have to buy the feed, hay, or bedding.

This thread makes me want to quit boarding and become a full time farm sitter LOL
    Last edited by Lmabernathy; Sep. 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM.